Register

Website Outage Outrage

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Website Outage Outrage

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Oh dear, we very nearly lost the site there. I was told to completely erase everything on my webspace.

Fortunately I persuaded them to let me keep the forum files, otherwise I would have had to rebuild the forum from scratch. Everything else is wiped, so there will be some dead image links on here.

The bottom line is that the website was attacked by a specific IP address, which I've now locked out. The attack was out of my control, and as far as I can see there is no saying it won't happen again with a slightly different IP address.

At the moment, please don't use the "picture upload" function, please upload to third party picture hosting sites and link to those images. There is a "how to" somewhere, I'll try and find it.

I've had to remove everything else from my webspace (13 years of files!), including the original Sakkarin Search script, so please don't use the Sakkarin Search button on the left hand column. If there's anything you want to know, I still have the original database, so asl me. I will try and reinstate it, but it will require rebuilding.

Re: Website Outage

Postby Suffs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Oh Sakkarin ........... what a total PITA (well, much more than that but you know what I mean). Thank you for keeping this going ... it must sometimes be tempting to walk away. Very grateful to you. :D

Postby Renée » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:57 pm

What an absolute nightmare for you Sakkarin, but many grateful thanks for sorting everything out and keeping the board going!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:04 pm

Well done you sakkers - a real hero :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for that and all your other hard work.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:05 pm

:crying2

Thanks for sorting it out Sakkarin Magic1

I always wonder what satisfaction these cyber thugs get from such an attack, the pointlessness just defeats me

The other advantage of using a third party site such as Flickr or Picasa is that in my experience although it's an extra linking process there's usually less fiddling about with resizing, so on balance easier

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Ohh, heartbreaking enough when systems fail but even more so when due purely to someone deliberately kicking other people's sandcastles over just because they can.

Thanks as always and for your determined tenacity on all our behalfs in this case.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Yesssss!
We're back.

Still, mucky your end though, Sakkarin.

Postby Petronius » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:55 pm

My thanks as well Sakkarin and so sorry it's messed up so much of your stuff.

Now I understand why the mac4mac Forum only allows hosting services for the downloading of pictures – never did manage to get Flickr to work but somehow I'll get it sorted. No need to explain yet, get the important stuff fixed.

Postby miss mouse » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 am

How awful. What a stupid and pointless thing to do.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Huge thanks from me too Sakks :newhuggy !

We're all grateful you know what you're doing & don't fancy being refugees again - such a lot of work for you tho' - hope it's not driving you too mad!

I can never get my head around why these a$$eholes do this - such morons..........!

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Good grief!
Thank goodness you managed to salvage some of the stuff. Well done!

Re: Website Outage Outrage

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:07 pm

thank you from me too Sakkarin! :newhuggy

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:29 pm

...and from me too! I have been away from home and found that the hotel's wi-fi provider doesn't allow access to carta so I didn't know that there was a problem until I got back yesterday.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 pm

the hotel's wi-fi provider doesn't allow access to carta

What !!!!!!!
Complain to reception immediately.

Postby QinNortham » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:38 am

Thank you from me too! Thought it was my lap top playing up or something I'd done. :clap

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:16 pm

QinNortham, I'm sure we all think "it might be me" so the tip always suggested is to go to bbc.co.uk which is never going to be down, so if you can get them, it's unlikely to be you.

There are some problems which mean you need to clear the cookie, but I couldn't tell you how frequently as I clear mine daily anyway.

Actually, thinking about it, in the circumstances it's pretty amazing that Sakkarin got the forum up and running again in a day.

Postby Pampy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:21 pm

jeral wrote:QinNortham, I'm sure we all think "it might be me" so the tip always suggested is to go to bbc.co.uk which is never going to be down, so if you can get them, it's unlikely to be you.

Have to disagree with your statement that the bbc site is never down - it goes through periods of instability, usually when they're trying to implement/de-implement something. Auntie is not known for having the most experienced IT people and now they are having to limit the use of contractors, there's even less expertise.

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:29 pm

I don't suppose any website is infallible. Alternatives might be parliamentlive.tv or I'd think amazon.co.uk or .com are pretty safe bets for now bar a worldwide Net collapse. (Facebook - who knows now... lol.)

Re contracting out, I get the feeling that the tide is turning generally.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:46 pm

I use the BBC as a sanity check too
But Google is pretty reliable

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Sakkarin, :clap :clap

You are amazing ..

Thank you so much for replying to my email almost immediately ..

I was astonished when I tried to enter the forum and could not !
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox