Register

Grating Nutmeg & Zesting Lemon: What´s Your Method ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: Grating Nutmeg & Zesting Lemon: What´s Your Method ?

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Pretty much the same with me, however I wouldn't use the box grater for nutmeg, I have the nutmeg grater as your pic, it is perfect, and has a little compartment so you can store a nutmeg in it ready to go. The rasp surface is much finer than the box grater.
I have no problem with box graters, yes they feel like they're a faff to clean, but once you have resigned yourself to it, it's usually far quicker than you'd think - often just a quick rinse. I have two box graters side by side for double the attack...

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:34 am

Sakkarin, :wave

Yes, I have been using box graters for years ..

I have one for Reggiano Parmigiano and the other for veggies ..

However, I would like to upgrade my Reggiano method ..

And get a citrus zester .. And 2 new micro plane graters for cheese at table and zest etc.

Yes, true that once you are used to washing something, it is not that much of a nightmare ..

Thanks for the feedback ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:38 am

Pampy & Mark, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you Gentlemen ..

Shall take a look on Amazon too ..

Have a lovely weekend ahead .. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby MariaK » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:44 am

Alexandria,

Here's a link to Joan's Oxo grater on Spanish Amazon

https://www.amazon.es/OXO-Good-Grips-Ra ... B00004OCJO

or check Kelkoo , they may charge less for postage

http://www.kelkoo.es/c-140001-utensilio ... ador+limon

I have a much simpler tool for zesting. If I want wider strips of citrus peel a good . swivel - potato peeler does the trick

But I do want a nutmeg mill -

Postby Pampy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Alexandria wrote:Pampy & Mark, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you Gentlemen ..

I've been called many things in my life but never a gentleman... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Maria K. :wave

Thank you very much for the links. They merit excellence in the photographic sense, so I have a clear idea of my options .. and Price ranges ..

However, I do prefer to do local Spanish retail shopping in Barcelona verses online shopping whenever possible. I like to shop and window shop too in my spare time, and avoid the ridiculous transport costs ! and the waiting for something I can buy a few steps from my Office and / or apartment ..

I had already ordered a Reggiano Parmigiano Grater from a dear friend who is a Distributor from Parma and owns an artisanial dairy and only produces sustainable natural authentic traditional Parmigiani
(Parmesan Cheese) Dairy .. He will also deliver it free of charge to the office Tuesday or Wednesday at latest .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a nice weekend and thank you for the links and feedback ..

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Pampy, :thumbsup

Sorry for the gender blunder if there is one ..

It is sort of a "uni-sex" name verses an obvious masculine or feminine one ..

Apologies if you are a lovely lady !!

Have a wonderful weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

And you are a Gentleman or a lovely lady !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:49 pm

It's horses for courses really so no such thing as one fits all, so I too have a drawerful :roll:

To complete the picture, for medium cheeses like Cheddar which gunk up graters, and even plastic cheese like Gruyere, I use this type of handheld wire for slices: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheese-Slicer- ... B005BSH9FU
I've had mine for years but whether modern ones would last as long I don't know.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Jeral, :thumbsup

Thank you very much for all the photographic links and types of graters etcetra ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox