Register

Pam the jams new book

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Pam the jams new book

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:04 am

Had not heard that name in years

IMG_20180309_170058_234.JPG
IMG_20180309_170058_234.JPG (48.92 KiB) Viewed 3265 times

Re: Pam the jams new book

Postby DEB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 am

Yes but the book was published approx. 10 years ago. Having said that it is very inforhttp://www.carta.co.uk/foodforum/p ... 626#mative.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:33 pm

I thought it looked familiar, but maybe it's only recently become available again due to reprinting or for the US market. Thanks for confirming it anyway DEB.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:07 pm

DEB

thank you for clearing that up. When HFW was on, I enjoyed what he did. To me, it is when they go political, then I stop watching.

As I recall she made a couple of really good looking things on TV....although, fruit and sugar, tough to beat that....

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:31 pm

They are showing some of the early River Cottage stuff again here, to complement the first (?) UK showing of River Cottage Australia
I caught Pam the Jam making piccalilli the other day, which was hand as I want to make some

She is on Twitter as @thepamthejam and has tweeted recently

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:46 am

Thank you for the book recommendation .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have never prepared preserves or marmalade before, however, I adore wild Rasberry or wild Black berry Marmalade and would love to prepare some ..

So, I shall check out this book ..

Have a nice weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Alexandria Once you have learned the basics if you get the bug there is no stopping you There are far better books on preserving. if you would like some ideas please just ask.

I am a manic preserver as some folk on here will testify. Jams, jellies, marmalades. pickles, chutneys and bottled fruit and veg, not to mention liqueuers and terrines. Fortunately we have a large cellar :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Please do recommend a great book for beginners on making preserves ..

I would be most grateful and appreciative ..

Thank you very much ...

We have a room called "maids quarters" however, it is the size of a closet and was refurbished into a pantry .. This would be perfect. We store our wines in it .. And it is never warm in this room ..

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby MariaK » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Alexandria,

While you wait for your book, this might be useful as a general introduction

http://souvigne.pagesperso-orange.fr/re ... isc100.htm

Ian first trained as a chemist and later as a chef and worked freelance for years.

I found the tip on microwaving very useful.

Low Pectin is often a problem and ever since he posted his recipe for Strawberry Jam I've added red or white currant (grosellas) purée to the fruit that needs a boost. If you can get those at a reasonable price they're ideal - or persuade someone to grow them! Both blackberries and raspberries are low in pectin. I don't like using chemical pectin if I can help it.

Hope you don't mind saying this, but not all mermeladas are marmalade. In UK Marmalade tends to be reserved for citrus fruit, usually with strips of peel. The rest can be jam, preserves, fruit cheese (e.g. membrillo) although these days if using quince most people would just use the Spanish word Membrillo or fruit butter if the purée is spreadable rather sliced like membrillo.

If you want more Info - let me know, though I don't have Joan's expertise or do nearly as much as she does.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 am

There is a handful of books on preservibg that started me off - after that is, watching my mother and grandmother making them for as long as I could remember,

Try these:
https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Preserve ... 0140236570

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Preser ... 1556704011

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jams-Pickles-C ... 0743221133

I also learned a huge amount from my neighbours here in France. They taught me how to make fruit spirits and to preserve fruit and vegetables in alcohol. One, only recently deceased had the last remaining right in the area to distil her own alcohol. She used to make a sort of pastis and a wonderful appero using quince. I still have a couple of litres of her base alcohol some of which i will use to bottle cherries come the season.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Maria,

Yes, "marmalade " is citrus .. Preserves, are what I meant ..

Thank you for your helpful data & link, on low pectin berries, Rasberries and Black berries .. Red currants and red cranberries are available here in Barcelona. I shall check with La Mercat de La Boqueria amongst some farmer market connections ..

One of the few fruits, we as a family, are not fond of is quince or membrillo ( paste ) either in savoury dishes or sweet desserts ..

Have a nice day ..
Last edited by Alexandria on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you very much for all your assistance ..

Definitely shall be ordering the triology.

Have a lovely day .. :clap :clap

Postby DEB » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi

I still use the Cordon Blue part works sold in the early 1970's. The traditional recipes just work, no fancy ingredences or methods. Scales, wooded spoon, large pan, thermometer helpful but not necessary as is a jelly bag.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:36 am

In my book, the most convincing origin of marmalade is from the Portuguese - "marmela" - quince. The first British ( Scottish) marmalade was made by Mr Keiller, apparently. He bought a shipload of oranges, hoping for a big profit, and only realised when they arrived that they were bitter Seville oranges. His wife (who was obviously a clever girl!) made jam with them, and Bitter Orange Marmalade was born.
May be true, may be slightly true, but just like the story of Macbeth, it´s the version I like the most!

After almost 20 years of making jams, chutneys, jellies, preserves, conserves, confitures, pickles, sauces and ketchups, I´ve finally classified all my recipes. There are so many that I´m going to put them into a book. Haven`t written it yet, though! :rudolph1

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:11 pm

I beg your pardon karadekoolaid

I think you will find that the first Dundee marmalade was made by Mrs Keiller to use up an excess of oranges acquired by Mr Keiller :lol:

Good luck with the book

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Absolutely, Sue - poorly phrased on my part!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox