Register

James martin has competition....

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

James martin has competition....

Postby mark111757 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm

From Australian TV that is also making the download circuit.....

IMG_20180307_134255_158.JPG
IMG_20180307_134255_158.JPG (83.96 KiB) Viewed 3730 times

One of the hosts of my kitchen rules AUS

Shown on "7" in Australia. As soon as/should recipes appear, will post info here

Re: James martin has competition....

Postby Renée » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks for the information Mark. It sounds an interesting programme, although food from that region isn't really my favourite.

I met up with friends in London and we had a meal at Jamie's Italian. The service and food was excellent and we had an enjoyable meet-up and meal.

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Manu's trip sounds very similar to Jamie Oliver's American Road Trip which included some very similar visiting places as those planned for Manu, so possibly the format has been franchised. I found JO's (6 episodes) very interesting, plus he took a back seat in the focus, often admitting he was out of his depth. I'd happily watch Manu's Aussie version.

I vaguely recall James Martin announcing he was jumping on the US trip wagon. Not sure if his progs have been aired here yet or not TBH.

Renée: Always good to hear that meet-ups and the food worked well. Was it a day trip? If so, you have my full permission to stay in bed till noon :)

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:48 am

James Martin's American road trip has been on recently but may have finished now. I only managed to catch one episode which was OK. There's currently been so much good stuff on the TV for us that I've had to give it a miss.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 am

I don't tend to watch road trips.
I do prefer good old fashioned stand in the kitchen preparing food shows myself. Just preference, not a criticism.

My put offs are, Rick Stone hovering over a housewife with his sneaky little pad in his hand.
Then going home and making it how he thinks it should be made his way.
Or the Hairy Bikers, on location, but making a pie.

However, my favourite one at the moment is Gino's italian escapes.
His food looks great.
In fact, I'm off to see how much his book is on Kindle, back in a mo .................................

Postby Renée » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:54 am

Oh, come now Gill! The Hairy Bikers do get involved with going into eating places and the homes of people when they visit different countries to watch and join in them making the food of the country. Now that they are eating more healthily, I haven't seen them making a pie in years! :lol: :lol:

I really don't like Rick Stein and always remember the time when he and other people were tasting chicken to decide whether it was a freerange chicken or just an ordinary one. He got it wrong and the others got it right. Of course he made some excuses at the time!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Caught 5 minutes of James Martin's American programme by accident, and he was making Eggs Benedict! Beat him to it by a couple of days...

Postby Renée » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Jeral, I have had several meet-ups in Manchester to meet online friends, but there were never more than four of us altogether, which was ideal. I wouldn't have wanted a crowd!! When I had the meal at Carluccio's in London, I had been staying with my man friend in Berkshire so it was just a short train journey into London. We met up with a couple of other friends to attend a memorial at the Garrick theatre, for a very well known actor who had been a very close online friend. We sat amongst very well known actors and it was a celebration of his life, really. The cast from Wicked performed some of the songs from the show. He had played the part of the Wizard. Maureen Lipman, who sat on our row appeared of the stage talking about her memories and even Mike Hall. Also many others. We enjoyed the meal and the atmosphere very much at Jamie's Italian. I had a lovely meet up in Venlo in the Netherlands with Uschi, when I was staying over there with Colin. She had travelled from Germany.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:08 pm

I think James Martin and Jamie were doing different things

JM was focussed on baking, with really just a bit of local colour, but JO was far more exploring local food traditions in a liitle more depth, I temember the episodes with Native Americans and when they put together a team for a BBQ contest. No recipes to make at home, but I found them very interesting

We'll see how Manu does, perhaps he will be more like Peter Kuravita, also Aussie?

Postby mark111757 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 pm

Sue

I had forgotten about peter kuravita. A few years back he did a series for Aussie TV from Mexico and as I recall, real or more authentic Mexican food. To me he came across as very likeable . aired on SBS network.

http://www.peterkuruvita.com/tv-media

https://www.sbs.com.au/shows/mexicanfie ... erkuruvita

And one of the most important bits....the recipes

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/program/mex ... r-kuruvita

Thanks for a good memory!!!

Postby mark111757 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Hey Saks,

Which epi was it that had him and the eggs Benedict??? Am curious his take on it

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 pm

Series 1 Episode 20, "New York".

He makes a standardish one and a variation - there are about a dozen variations apparently. I won't tell you what he does, keep you in suspenders...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggs_Benedict

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 am

Yes, I like Kuravita in Mexico, the way he went into the regions

Postby Renée » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:10 am

Regarding Eggs Benedict, I think I might choose Eggs Chesapeake substituting a Maryland blue crab cake in place of the ham.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I think James Martin and Jamie were doing different things

JM was focussed on baking, with really just a bit of local colour, but JO was far more exploring local food traditions in a liitle more depth, I temember the episodes with Native Americans and when they put together a team for a BBQ contest. No recipes to make at home, but I found them very interesting

We'll see how Manu does, perhaps he will be more like Peter Kuravita, also Aussie?

I remember watching the Food Network series a few years ago. I think that was given a corny name such as United Cakes of America. However, the road trip one he's done more recently was for ITV, and was definitely a different series. I wish I could remember what he made on the first episode though. He was in the Napa Valley I think, so he may have made a salad amongst other things.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:21 pm

In the first episode he made :
steak with garlic risotto
pan fried monkfish and shrimp with pinto beans (decorated with flowers and nasturtium leaves)
oven roasted avocado with chicken wings
crispy lamb belly bacon salad with croutons, figs and a maple syrup dressing on a bed of crisp lettuce topped with feta cheese

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks Pampy!

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Saks

Thanks for the tease for JM. They both looked very good. I must admit I like Gordon's idea of using parma ham instead of Canadian bacon.

Had a nice surprise in my inbox, a copy of of JMs book. And recipes for eggs benne and eggs lobster Newburg. And I presume all the recipes from the series.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:I remember watching the Food Network series a few years ago. I think that was given a corny name such as United Cakes of America. However, the road trip one he's done more recently was for ITV, and was definitely a different series. I wish I could remember what he made on the first episode though. He was in the Napa Valley I think, so he may have made a salad amongst other things.

Ah, I didn't realise he'd done another one as well as United Cakes of America

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 pm

From JMs book and his dbl cheeseburger recipe. The part for the welsh rarebit

IMG_20180310_160626_096.JPG
IMG_20180310_160626_096.JPG (22.7 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

My question is it calls for 100 mls of bitters. Does he mean .....

https://www.amazon.com/Angostura-Aromat ... B003BP1BJK

I did not see that mentioned at all in the TV version....

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox