Register

Do you read Food Magazines ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Do you read Food Magazines ?

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49 am

¡n That photo was amusing, up to a certain point Sakks.

"5 things to do with chocolate"

WHAT?' ONLY FIVE? :crying1
:gonzo

I´m amused because (a) chocolate is all the rage at the moment in South America. Of course it is - that´s where it comes from! And (b) if I could only think of FIVE things to do with chocolate these days, I think I{d probably jump off a cliff!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Ah, but number 4 is "bathe in warm chocolate", which doesn't leave a lot left for anything else...

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:29 pm

I our recent reorganisation I did a big sort out of all my, hundreds, of food magazines. I have then filed in holders for each month. If I have never used a recipe from a particular one for 6 months, or if meanwhile I have found a better one, out it goes these days.

I do however treasure a 1980 Guide Cuisine , bought the first year we came to Provence and containing a summer special of Provencal food. It assumes that people who buy such things can cook so a lot of the recipes are quite complicated and not very helpful as regards cookery terms - especially if your French was not very good - which was very much me then. However with my Elizabeth David book, that magazine and a lovely local lady it did help me get the hang of this regions food.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:16 pm

@ Joan,

Lovely story ..

Thank you for posting ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:24 pm

Karakoolaide,

Chocolate, profoundly steeped in Aztec history, is quite fascinating ..

There are uncountable types of chocolate as well as uncountable desserts to prepare with it ..

When I was in Venice, last week, I had atended a Gastro Eno Trade Fair, at the Ca Zanardi Palace, which 3 dear Friends had collaborated on .. and there was a Tuscany based Chocolate Maker and Producer at the event ..

Well, I could not believe his chocolate degustation .. It was simply spectacular ..

One of my favorite chocolates presented was: The bio ecological White Chocolate with a subtle sublime hint of Himalayan Rose Salt ..

It was dazzling dynamic ..

Of course, I had also taste tested the Black Chocolate from Tuscany with the Basilicata sprinkled ground dried red Chili Peppers ! Also high wattage electrifying .. And not hot or spicy .. Just a lightness and totally exquisite ..

Have a lovely weekend and thank you for your post .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:05 am

Chocolate has taken Latin America by storm.
Venezuela boasts some of the most aromatic cacao : Chuao, Carenero, Sur del Lago, Rio Caribe, etc.
Back home in the UK, I´ve still got an ancient encyclopedia ( c.1910) which has a diminutive paragraph on "Venezuela".
Something like " A country in the northern part of South America, bordering the Caribbean sea. The principle agricultural products are manioc root, plantains and cacao, of which the variety from Chuao is considered by Swiss chocolate makers to be the finest in the world"
I have many friends here who are involved in the chocolate business. A Dutch friend, Sander Koenen, makes the most exquisite chocolates, using sea salt, chile peppers, Tonka beans, cumin, macadamia nuts etc.
Another foodie friend, Maria di Giaccobe, won the Basque Culinary Prize two years ago for her work with local cacao. And yet another family group, very close friends, make Franceschi Chocolates, which have won several prizes at international exhibitions.
Whilst in Mexico, I sampled several different "moles" from Oaxaca, Yucatan, Puebla, etc - all redolent of rich dark cacao.
I also got to try some of José Ramón Castillo´s delicious bonbons - with Agave Worm salt, tequila, mezcal, pasilla chiles, chapulines ( grasshoppers!), habanero & pineapple... Omigosh, how delightful ! Mind you, each chocolate cost $24 (pesos) - that´s about £1 each!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Wow! I am in awe of the chocolatiness you are surrounded with!

Except I'll pass on the grasshoppers and worms...

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Flippin 'eck Clive you are totally & utterly spoilt........!

Thankfully, Chocolate isn't one of my sins - I have a small fix about twice a year - then it has to be very dark & bitter :thumbsup

I do like a good mole tho'!

Postby Renée » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:50 pm

I have a Waitrose card, which enables me to get special offers for card holders and I do get the magazine free. I also get a free coffee.

I like very dark and bitter too, Lush. At the moment, I have Lindt 90% cocoa.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:58 pm

I like aldi 70% dark.....85% is bitter to me.

Wish I had tried these when they were available here in the states....

Moser-Roth-Chocolate-A.jpg
Moser-Roth-Chocolate-A.jpg (38.42 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

Postby Alexandria » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Karakoolaide,

Thank you for your lovely read on Chocolate ..

I am with Sakkakin, and shall skip the creepy crawlers (chapulines and worms ) ..

There are uncountable countries producing chocolate ..

I had some amazing Peruvian chocolate at a Peruvian Restaurant in Madrid, Spain back in December .. It was quite amazing ..

I have seen that there are many Venezuelans emigrating to Spain now ( Madrid in particular ) .. due to the crisis in Venezuela ..

I shall check it out for Easter desserts ..

Take care and all my best .. Stay safe ..

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Asda have started selling chocolate from a single country now. We've currently got Peruvian, Madagascan and Ecuadorian, but there is another one as well, which is a milk chocolate (that's about the same strength as Cadbury's Bournville!. It might be Venezuelan but not 100% sure!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Strictly Santa Clare,

I had a tasting of some lovely Black & Green Chocolates ( a British producer if I am not mistaken ) at the Salon du Chocolat in Paris last year ..

I have never had the ones you mentioned however.

Have a lovely weekend .. Thank you for the feedback .. :thumbsup

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi Alexandria

Asda is a British supermarket chain, hence an own brand rather than one of the big corporations. This may be why you haven't heard of it. Sorry I didn't make this clearer in my earlier post.

Postby Renée » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Asda became a subsidiary of the American retail corporate giant Walmart after a £6.7 billion takeover in July 1999. It is carrying on as normal though, Clare and it is my nearest supermarket!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:46 pm

Strickly Santa Claire & Reneé,

Perhaps they have not considered exporting to Spain however, I will look for Asda in El Corte Ingles, Spain´s main and largest supermarket .. They have a large international Section .. They have Black and Green Chocolate now ..

Founded in 1826, The Domincan Republic has been producing a Bio 70% Black Chocolate called " Suchard " which is absolutely wonderful .. It is exported to Spain by Mondelez España Comercial.

I had stumbled upon it in December when I was in Madrid .. And brought some back and shipped some too ..

It was well priced too ..

http://www.suchard.es

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby mark111757 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:16 am

Alexandria

Did you mean Green and blacks ,as in chocolate?

It is used by the king of stylee, Jamie Oliver, going back to the naked chef days.

The store in worked at offered several different bars for $3.49 each for a 100g bar.

The Aldi's 70% and 85% cacao come is 100g packs. Here in the states they were $1.69 or $1.79 each as I recall. My preference tho. It is great to cook with.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 am

2 things I know about Ecuador.
The panama hat was created in Ecuador.
& it has an inverted climate - hotter higher up, and cooler by the sea.

I must try their chocolate. Without the grubs ;)

Joan, I shall do likewise and go through my recipe papers and magazines. Thanks for the kick up the backside.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Wiki: "Since the name "Panama hats" logically implies these hats come from Panama, Ecuador rarely receives credit for the invention or production of this famous hat."

Serves them right for calling it a "Panama" hat.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:32 pm

@ Mark,

Yes, I meant Black & Green´s ..

Thank you for your correction ..

Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox