Register

Saturday February 10th: Brownies Day !

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Saturday February 10th: Brownies Day !

Postby Alexandria » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:45 pm

I have noticed that in The U.K. and The Usa, every day is a different National Food Day, for example, February 9th is Pizza Day ..

Does any one follow this and prepare the food of this day according to The U.K. or The Usa ?

Of course, this does not exist in Spain though we have a few of our own food days due to the large expatriate population from both these nations ..

While members were celebrating Pancake Day, here in Spain, we were celebrating Spanish Omelette Day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Saturday February 10th: Brownies Day !

Postby mark111757 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:59 am

Most I think are in the idea of fun but food is worth celebrating

https://www.checkiday.com

Postby Alexandria » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 am

@ Mark,

In Spain, we have 365 days of Saint Day Celebrations .. Though different themes, food is involved .. We also have a Paella Day as well, but not as extensive as the U.K. or Usa ..

In UK & Usa, national food celebrations are quite a big thing I see ..

Thank you for the link ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely wkend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Alexandria

I think the National (Whatever food) Day is an American thing, but has been adopted in the UK thanks to most social medial being US based. Yes, we have had certain foods to celebrate holidays such as chocolate eggs, hot cross buns and simnel cake for Easter and mince pies, Christmas Pudding for Christmas etc. I don't always celebrate the American ones, especially I've I've only found out about them too late in the day to partake in it. However, yesterday I did know about it being National Pizza Day and made one with my quick Naan bread base (basically equal quantities of natural yogurt and flour), for our dinner last night. The only other one I can think of that I've taken part once or twice in is Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie Day, which is 19th June, but only if we've been able to get the rhubarb! We do love the combination of these two fruits in our house :yum

EDIT: The only 'National Food Day' we do have is Pancake Day, as has already been discussed. But we call it Shrove Tuesday.
Last edited by strictlysalsaclare on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:57 am

There was a National Egg Week which we covered back in 2012, but I've not heard hide nor hair of it since.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1336

As usual with these threads I ended up making some nice eggy things (pix below).

There was also a National Chip Week:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1887

National Chocolate Week:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1349l

National Doughnut Week!!!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=305

National Baking Week
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1368

National Bake Your Own Bread Week
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=164

I only did a search on "national" there, so there may be individual "food" days too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:58 pm

I think they are mainly advertising gimmicks as ssc has explained
There are of course more authentic ones like you do have in Spain, such as the Evesham asparagus festival, which although a local festival also serves to mark the start of the main English asparagus season for all of us, runs from 23 April, also of course St George's day and Shakespeare's birthday. In fact these days the asparagus is ready to eat a bit earlier

But if you do want to make brownies, Suelle's recipe is tge one to go for, I can't find the basic recipe on her blog but this is the version with added chocolate orange
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/chocolate-orange-brownies.html

Postby Alexandria » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Stokey Sue,

Yes, green asparagus festivals are an amazing time of the year, especially in Aranjuez, Madrid ( 48 km. south of Madrid ). It is the celebration of the Harvest ..

St. George here is Saint Jordi and the key to this holiday is 1 book and 1 rose is given to those that you care for and / or love ..

A very lovely holiday in Gerona, Barcelona, Lérida and Tarragona ..

Yes, it is a sales pitch to spend and spend and spend obviously ..

Thank you for the Brownie Link .. Another day perhaps ..

We are headed out for a tapa and wine ..

Thank you for all your feedback ..

Have a nice weekend .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Mr. Stokey,

As Sue stated, this is an advertising gimmick or sales pitch to spend ..

I do not pay too much attention to it however, it caught my attention to post about what I have learnt however, to involve the members to give their views ..

Yes, I am quite a fan of strawberries and Rhubarde too .. Lovely lovely duo ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Best regards. :wave
Last edited by Alexandria on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:17 pm

@Sakkarin,

Those are some wonderful plate presentations ..

Perhaps in the U.K. the National food days are different that the Usa ..

The next National food day here, would be tied in with Saint Joseph, or Father´s Day and it is also Paella Day & Las Fallas ( The Flames ) in Valencia ..

This is a national bank holiday ..

Valentine´s Day is an international holiday and the banks are open and everyone is working here ..

Thank you for all your links ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:02 am

You can have Pizza Day, Brownies Day, Tikka Masala Day, Hotdog Day...whatever!

As long as the food is well-prepared, nice & fresh, and TASTY; well, wonderful!
I had a couple of pancakes for breakast today, filled with feta cheese, a boiled egg, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, spring onions and a sprinkling of fresh green "chile de arbol" chiles. Marvellous!
I may even repeat it tomorrow!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:15 am

Did somebody mention eggs! Lovely dishes, Sakkarin.
And the pancakes.
I've always got loads of eggs in. One of my favourite ingredients.

World Bread Day?
I devised a wasabi pea sourdough for it, and still use it.

You can keep national pie and national sausage day though.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:56 pm

We also have loads of eggs Gill. Our chooks are laying so well at the moment!

France doesn't seem to have Days or weeks devoted to certain foods. However they are great ones for their fetes. In this region alone we have , melons,cheese, cherries, truffles, epautre (spelt). lavender, honey and wines - all centered round certain villages. They can be great fun, but the more popular ones can be very very touristy and commercial.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Yip. They're great at fete days.
One of the best we've stumbled upon was an olive oil fete. We bought loads, and toured the rest of our holiday praying the bottles wouldn't open over our stuff.

Where do you keep your chooks?

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:16 pm

In the yard over the road where the garden is. We have 8 hens which we share with a neighbour because they are a it of a trial to have sole charge of when you want to go away. At the moment they are laying 7 eggs a day. We love them dearly. all 4 varieties including Breton Cuckoos !

Postby Alexandria » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am

Joan,

The majority of the food celebrations in the Mediterranean (France, Italy, Portugal and Spain ) are "harvest celebrations" verses 365 days a year, each with a specific food ..

And many of these harvest celebrations are also related to a Saint´s Day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :wino :wino

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox