Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

What's everyone eating this week?

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Tue May 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Just come back from a week's holiday and come down with a cold,so feeling a bit down for myself and uninspired in the kitchen department. Hoping reading everybody's menu plans for the week will inspire me to start planning some tasty meals.

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 am

Snagging for ideas too.

Last night we had a spicy chicken laksa.

Tonight we're having langoustines with garlic butter, crusty bread and salad.

Tomorrow it'll be a cheese toastie with Heinz tomato soup after a trip to a local spa. Not the most exciting of dinners!

No idea after that so i'll keep an eye on this thread.

Postby Gruney » Wed May 29, 2013 10:03 am

A gardener pal of mine gave me some rhubarb; I will be having it tonight, with fried mackerel, and crusty bread and butter.

Postby Lou » Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 am

It was minestrone soup with a so-so attempt at homemade bread last night.
Tonight we are on haggis and mash, as the weather is definitely still appropriate for it.
Thai green curry tomorrow, pork belly with roasts and trimmings at the weekend.

We had salads and BBQs last week, I am finding it hard to plan ahead as you never know what the weather is going to do

Postby Mrs Vee » Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 am

Last night – squash, lentil and coconut casserole
Tonight – tofu, cashew nut and veg stir-fry
Thurs – trofie liguria
Fri – something light and easy; it’s my birthday so we’re going to Vanilla Black for lunch :thumbsup
Sat – griddled halloumi with couscous and salad
Sun – veggie burgers, new pots and salad

Postby Puss-in-boots » Wed May 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Morning, (just).

Had a lot of salads last week but this week is a little colder but am not giving in!

Sunday: Roast Beef dinner.
Monday: Chicken Boob filled with savoy, carrots and leek with new potatoes and asparagus.
Tuesday: Duck boob with, I had rice with the juices left from the pork hock stirred through it, lovely and filling, OH had new pots and salad.
Wednesday: We will be having Salmon, samphire and tomato salad with sweet potato and strawberry mash.
Thursday Coq-au-vin.
Friday: Fish pie but may change.

Not to sure about the weekend yet but may have a roast on Sunday depending on the weather.

Hope you feel better soon PrettyKiwi.

Postby jeral » Wed May 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Hmm. Having a cold is similar to tree-pollen hayfever, so chilli is good for sinuses and is good for Vit C. I make Mexican chilli burgers, veggie, though would be easy to make them with minced beef. Recipe if wished. Usually with sweet potato wedges and something green.

Avocados are still good at the moment. Useful for fresh salads, preferably with fruit like oranges, dates, maybe nuts; also quacamole with decent bread, since high fat/carb so don't have to wade though platefuls of rice or pasta with a blocked nose, lol. I reckon cooked, defrosted prawns in a chilli (pepper flakes) garlic mustard mayo (enhanced Hellmann's lol) too.

Can't beat crispy tempura'd cod bites and veggies straight from the pan. Big advantage - with a blocked up nose, can't even smell the lingering oily pong, lol.

Postby Alison Wright » Wed May 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Unless it's a busy week I don't really plan meals too far ahead like when I was working, but find I cook more for the weather these days .......

I'm glad we enjoyed the big antipasto outside with friends at the weekend - but now it's back to warming, comfort dinners. Last night we had Lancashire hotpot with braised red cabbage, tonight a simple corned beef hash with fried eggs.

Today I've been trawling through recipes I've bookmarked looking for old favourites- so I'm a bit more organised. We'll have calves liver, bacon & onion gravy with new potatoes carrots & cauli tomorrow.
I'll also make a veggie onion & garlic, hot & sour fenugreek curry to reheat on Friday night as we'll be out all day.

OH's nagging for chips, so he might get a steak sammich in toasted French bread with fried onions & mushrooms with them on Saturday - if he finishes painting the bathroom :clap

On Sunday it could be balsamic chicken & toasted sesame seeds, with noodles & pak choi/asparagus.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Wed May 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Cold slowly going.Last night,we had a chicken madras with rice, which helped clear the sinuses.

Tonight,is a bit of an experiment with quesadillas,using smoked Applewood cheese and chorizo with lots of salad.

Not sure about the rest of the week,although omlettes are going to feature somewhere.Something like Alison's hotpot is appealing, as is something veggie with couscous.

PIB - sweet potato and strawberry mash ,really :o :?

Postby Puss-in-boots » Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 pm

prettykiwi...sweet potato and strawberry mash...yes...sounds :vomit but taste's absolutely delicious. :D

Even the food team from BBD were apprehensive but loved it when they tasted it. :clap :D

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri May 31, 2013 9:08 am

Glad the cold is getting better.

Menu changed last night and we had some roast sweet potato (we have a glut of them at the moment) roasted a whole chicken with some garlic and parsley butter under the skin, a little oil over it and sprinkled with smoked paprika and all purpose seasoning. We had that with some broccoli (OH had cauli.. :vomit ) with a red wine sauce. Was delicious.

I think I will have a jacket potato tonight with some sour cream and chive's mixed in with some chicken and prawns.

Will keep the other dishes for another time.

Postby Dena » Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Sunday - Roast pork with a shawarma rub and veg - one of which was griddled cauliflower slices, seen it on a lot of cooking programmes, so tried it and really like it.

Monday - cold pork (don't normally like cold meat that much but it was so nice with the rub and it was slightly pink) with a salad and jacket potato.

Tuesday - can't remember so it couldn't have been memorable.

Wednesday - Hare ragu agrodolce (Italian recipe with chocolate)

Last night sea bass fillet with jersey royal and samphire, with beurre noisette.

Tonight Som Tam (friend brought round another green papaya for me yesterday with his own dried fried shrimp). I was going to have stifado but I will have to have it tomorrow instead.

Saturday - stifado

Sunday lunch - am trying this out before giving to friends. http://www.britishlarder.co.uk/sauteed- ... z2Uriv1NmM Thought it would make a good starter or light lunch. Beetroot macerating at the mo. Dinner - free range duck breasts, don't know how I am doing them yet.

Next week it will have to be Indian, Moroccan or similar. Feel the need for hot and spicy having read this week's menus. :lol:

Have just remembered Tuesday, it was Tuna fishcake - as I said not really memorable. :mrgreen:

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 31, 2013 1:51 pm

Dena, that beetroot dish looks lovely. I have a problem though in that I can rarely find raw beetroot. It drives me mad because beetroot is one of those things I love. I am not sure about the barley either - I might well substitute spelt - should work as well.

I don't usually plan a week ahead but since we have been trying to reduce M's cholesterol I have found myself doing that more. What I now do is go to the market, butcher and fish stall on Saturday and buy what appeals then plan meals accordingly or, as I did this week, put a list of what is available on the fridge door and tich things off as I use them. We can then decide what we fancy on that particular day.

Next week we are out on Sunday and on Wednesday we, and some friends, are going to a jazz concert at the local cave co-op. It comes with wine and food in the form of local cheeses and charcuterie with salads, dessert and coffee.
Have to say it sounds fun - though not exactly low cholesterol!

I'll get fish for tomorrow night - depends what is good.

Postby Dena » Fri May 31, 2013 2:06 pm

Oh I do so love beetroot too Joan, how awful not to be able to get it. Would it be possible for you to grow it I wonder, if you have difficulty in getting the seeds, I could send you some? I'll post more info on the gardening board. Glad you like the look of that salmon dish - I wondered about the pearl barley too, but will cook it that way to test, then maybe change it. Can you get celeriac easily, I think that goes well with salmon, I wonder if it would work with that maceration method?

Like you Joan, I don't plan meals unless it is for a dinner party, then it is all mapped out long in advance. The friend who brought me the raw papaya also brought some rhubarb from his garden. Thought I might do something like this with the duck breasts. http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipe ... arb-recipe.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi Dena

We have had several attempts at growing beetroot - all failures. I guess our land is just too rocky and badly drained. Were we nearer the river on the sandy soil then I guess it would be easy.

Dad used to grow it with ease and young beets with Sunday lunch are a precious childhood memory. Have to say I also loved cheese and beetroot sandwiches :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Celeriac a-plenty, love it!

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri May 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Some lovely idea's bouncing around here! The beetroot and Salmon dish looks wonderful, thanks for that link Dena and the Duck one too. I have book marked them for future reference.

Do you think instead of using Barley I could use prawns, or would it be too fishy?

After careful viewing of the Salmon and beetroot it looks to me that there is a couple of green beans going through the second layer. I am correct or is it a herb?

I love celeriac too.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Fri May 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Love reading about what everyone's eating.Reminds me of all the old threads on the Beeb.

Plans for the next few days are

Tonight lamb kebabs on the BBQ which have been marinating in a sumac and OO marinade.We'll have these with some couscous.

Saturday - Ploughmans/antipasti type affair - nice crusty bread,cheese , olives,and a cheeky pork pie for OH plus strawberries and clotted cream.

Sunday -sausages with roasted root veg and red onion gravy

Monday - ???

Postby Dena » Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi Puss, the green is chopped sugar snap peas which I think will go well with the strewn ( ;) ) pea shoots. I often do things with salmon and prawns, so if that's what you fancy go for it, of course it will give a completely different slant to it though. I'll post when I have tried it, I'm looking forward to the duck too. :thumbsup

Like you prettykiwi, I don't know what I am having on Monday, but I might make Reza Mohammad's Cardamum chicken again. I really enjoyed it when I made it. http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/ca ... murgh.html. I do wish they wouldn't just plonk a leaf of coriander on things in the hope it makes them look better, imho it doesn't any more than a stem of parsley makes a good serving suggestion :lol: Can I come to the BBQ please, the lamb sounds really good.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 31, 2013 9:14 pm

i made that cardamom curry - but I used some turkey meat I had to hand in place of the chicken

Excellent, and I like the texture of the turkey in the curry, will use again

Postby Dena » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:26 pm

It really is delicious isn't it Sue. When I have some turkey meat I'll try it with that.

I tried the macerated beetroot this morning. It doesn't taste that much different from a cooked home grown or organic beet with a nice dressing. The texture is very different though, really crispy and firm. I think I might have sliced it too thinly though as I'm not sure it would hold up the other ingredients without drooping. I might make some more slightly thicker for the salmon as I'll be quite happy eating this for a lunch with maybe some feta or smoked salmon.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox