Register

It's National Chip Week!

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

It's National Chip Week!

Postby Alison Wright » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:50 am

And as we only have them about once a month - this is the week!

Not the pale skinny ones much beloved of burger bars :thumbsdown but chunky, crisp & golden brown. :thumbsup

Nothing posh, just a goodly pile with thick slices of home-baked gammon & dippy fried eggs - & there just might be a sploosh of malt vinegar & some good sea salt on top.

If you're indulging - what will you have with yours?

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/National%20Chip%20Week.htm

Re: It's National Chip Week!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 am

Oh do I wish we had malt vinegar over here... (sigh) ... but we don't. However, chips are a frequent option here. Good with a chilpotle mayonnaise; good with BBQ sauce, good with cauliflower cheese, good on their own.
I think I might just pop downstairs and make some chips.
AND - I agree,Alison. Not those wussy little skinny blighters - they're for people with no teeth. :o 8-) 8-) I like mine big, fat and juicy! :clap :clap :clap

Postby Renée » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:41 am

My homemade thick chips, par-boiled and then cooked in butter and oil in a hot oven, with a few shallot slices and herbs are a thing of the past, sadly, but I might just make some healthier ones just sprayed with oil and I can still use the flavourings!

Postby Wokman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 am

It sounds like it's time to make the famous thrice cooked Wokman's crinkle-cut chips again. :yum

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 pm

I didn't realise it was National chip week so Alison I am now holding your personally responsible for the fact that we'll have to have fish and chips tomorrow night for dinner ;-)

Postby KitchenSync » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi
Like Alison, they make a rare but welcome appearance here (not withstanding OH who still likes his pie chips (oven from freezer) chips and baked beans for Saturday lunch.) but I like both thin and thick chips. Different things for different things.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have cooked fried (twice) chips at home. I love spicy wedges and sweet potato wedges but may have to find a slot in what is left of the week. A Fish and Chip shop that has just won a major award (No1 UK independent take away 2013) will be on my way home on Saturday (out at a ball on Friday) so may be an option.
http://www.thebayfishandchips.co.uk/
It is really really good, but you have to be prepared to queue - and with nowhere to sit and no hot oven or plates waiting at the end of 17 minutes drive home better for me in the summer when we can eat al fresco on the benches at the beach.
The town of Stonehaven has been devastated in the past three months -first the sea front smashed badly by the big storm Mid December, then the harbour and old town flooded just before Christmas.

It's always National something week or day now isn't it. They mostly pass me by. Happy Chipping!
There IS such a thing as a skinny cook!

Postby mismatched » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 pm

I have to admit that our local Fish & Chip shop, Cypriot obviously, does great chips. But like all good chips they do not travel, you have to eat them there to ensure their perfection

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox