Register

Meals that only your veg box could inspire

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Meals that only your veg box could inspire

Postby Bababoom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Not sure how many of you have a veg box delivered, or maybe it's the veg you grow, or have left over, but you know those meals you make based on the veg you have and not much else? Well, tonight, I had tomato and basil tart with carrot, fennel, shallot and sesame salad. Not any kind of a weird meal, but one that I only made because of what was hanging around, looking like it might go weird overnight. And it was spectacularly good :D

Any other serendipitous combinations...or disasters ;) ?

BBxx

Re: Meals that only your veg box could inspire

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:56 am

Sounds great to me Bababoom.
The products are likely to go together too, their being in season at the same time.

When I was part of a box scheme, I used to get a lot of squashes in there, and had to get inventive for it's uses.
I relied mostly on the recipes at the Riverford site.

It's got even more nowadays

Postby hungryhousewife » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Bababoom!
Your tart sounds delicious. I love putting stuff together like that, and it is amazing what yummy things one can concoct!

The trick is to get into the habit of writing down what you did, as I've found it so hard to replicate weeks or months further down the line! I now have a scruffy little book which I scribble in.

The Riverford recipe book is excellent, and the other which I use a lot, is Sarah Raven. We have a veg garden, used to have an allotment and also used to be on a Riverford veg box.

My hubby came in from the veg garden last night to tell me that the broad beans are up, potatoes are up and the parsley - in the greenhouse is up!! Yahoo!!
HH

Postby Dena » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:54 am

When I used to get a veg box from Abel & Cole, I found their recipes were brilliant

http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes

if you scroll down they have an alphabetical list too. Inow use a different supplier as I don't have to have a box every week which suits me more :D

Postby Bababoom » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Oh, wow, these links are great, thanks :) And writing down the successes is a brilliant idea.

Postby sueturnersmith » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:56 am

I also use Abel and Cole, but have them deliver every other week, which suits me fine.

As for recipes, Abel and Cole are good, but I really like the Riverford ones.

Postby BelgianEndive » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 am

That sounds like a lovely meal BB. I don't use veg boxes because I like to buy the vegetables I want at all times (control freak :oops: ). But sometimes I'll use vegetables hanging around in the veg drawer of the fridge that need cooking and make a smashing vegetable pasta. Usually that contains: cut up courgette, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, spring onions, green asparagus if I have some. But it can also be a pasta with just shredded rucola, cherry toms & onions. Once in a while we love a veg pasta.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox