Register

Crumble, what do you like in yours?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Crumble, what do you like in yours?

Postby irishcountry-cousin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm

What fruit combinations do you like hidden in your crumble? Here is one I made yesterday

http://fionsars.blogspot.com/2012/04/no ... -x_26.html

Re: Crumble, what do you like in yours?

Postby Meena » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Classic apple with some raisens for me, with plenty of crumble and a little bit of custard.

Dont mind plum crumble either.

Postby AZCook » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Apple is OH's fave and he likes cinnamon in it. No raisins. Apple and blackberry, apple and blackcurrant are great combos - my personal faves. Gooseberries are great. Plum is wonderful and peach is good, too. Cobblers are good, too, as a change from crumble topping.

Postby Suelle » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Rhubarb (also with ginger or orange)
Blackberry and apple
Apple and dried apricots
Gooseberry

I also like some oats in the crumble, for texture.

This pineapple and blackberry crumble - seen on the Celebrity Sport Relief Bake Off - was surprisingly good:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/pineapple-and-blackberry-crumble.html
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby denada » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:52 pm

I like most crumbles and probably made them with most fruits.
Apple and blackberry
Pear,maple syrup and pecan
Apple and strawberry
Plum and cardamon
Pineapple and passionfruit
Peach and raspberry
Mixed berry and apple.

Postby irishcountry-cousin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 am

Oh! Plum and cardamon, what a nice idea! Also forgot about apple and blackberry. Mmmm, I have some frozen blackberry in my freezer.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:10 am

Rhubarb and apple, or apple and blackberry

The crumble topping must have chopped nuts in it too. Preferably hazlenuts and/or walnuts which have been lightly toasted

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:45 pm

There is only one crumble for me - and that's rhubarb!

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Hello Clive!!
I love a good rhubarb crumble too - but then I love apple crumble, plum crumble, cherry crumble - pretty much anything crumble. I too love some almond flakes and porridge oats in the crumble.

I tried cooking the crumble separately then sprinkling on top of the fruit, as I'd seen a chef do it that way - it was nice and crunchy, but then there is something rather nice about the slightly soggy underside of a proper crumble. I think the traditional way is best!

When we were in Spain we were given an extremely good Chicken crumble! It had cheese and crisps on the top!
HH

Postby Tatihou » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm not that fond of Rachel Allen... and yet here I am recommending a second recipe of hers in consecutive posts (the other is a crunchy granola recipe elsewhere).

I love toffee, caramel and butterscotchy flavours so when I saw a RA recipe for toffee apple crumble I had to try it. It is excellent - very sweet of course - but I like sweet puds. However, what really sets it apart is the finely grated rind of two lemons in the crumble topping. It's gorgeous and I add it to all apple crumbles (toffee or not) that I make nowadays.
http://www.rachelallen.co.uk/_assets/pdf/Food%20at%20Home1.pdf

If your eyesight (or screen) is not good enough to read the page clearly, you can increase the size by selecting the + option on the menu at the top of the page.

Postby Tatihou » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:15 pm

hungryhousewife wrote:When we were in Spain we were given an extremely good Chicken crumble! It had cheese and crisps on the top!
HH

I've got an Ottolenghi book somewhere with a sweet crumble topping to a fennel (bulb) bottom. It sounds odd and it is slightly odd... but it is also very more-ish.

http://sarit-thedish.blogspot.fr/2010/03/ottolenghi-cookbook.html

ETA:
And I see that the recipe underneath the fennel gratin (crumble) recipe on that link is the really yummy French beans and mangetout with hazelnuts and orange recipe. It is gorgeous. And if you add something like a salty feta cheese to it, it makes a very good starter or even light lunch.

Postby Happy Violas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:58 pm

My "emergency" crumble is banana and tinned peaches ... a bit sweet for me but the family love it, there's no pre cooking of fruit and it's very quick to make. Otherwise, rhubarb, gooseberry or apple with the chewy bits from the juices bubbling up the sides are my favourites. All served with custard made with Birds custard powder and a good slurp of vanilla extract :)

Postby Alison Wright » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:40 am

The friends we had lunch with today have just come back from three weeks holiday in America. They'd travelled around a fair bit, & in Texas had eaten a rhubarb & strawberry crumble which they said was lovely.

I'd never heard of this combination, but apparently it's standard fare in the US - as is the pastry pie. I might try it when the English strawbs are cheaper.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid ... 4gTcrKSqDg

Postby Global_Worming » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:09 am

The last crumble I made was apple, the twist I smoked it with pork butt. The combination of the sweet smoky flavour a Birds custard was very good.

Postby hungryhousewife » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 am

Alison Wright wrote:I might try it when the English strawbs are cheaper.

Hi Alison! Eureka!! I think you have found a really good idea for frozen strawberries!!

Global_Worming wrote:pork butt

Hi GW! I keep hearing about Pork Butt on the Food Network. Do you know what this cut is called in the UK.

HH

Postby Global_Worming » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:54 am

Pork Shoulder is the UK name for Butt, I do most of my posting on a US site so I have got into the habit of calling it Butt.
Make a simple marinade of evoo, lemon juice, black pepper, oregano and toasted fennel seeds. Soak thick steaks of butt in the marinade for 6 to 7 days then bbq for 4 mins a side over direct heat with the bbq lid down to stop flames.

Postby hungryhousewife » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks GW - I've been wondering about that one for quite a while. Why on earth do they call it the butt, if it's the shoulder!! I've been looking at meat charts at completely the wrong end of the beast!!!
:lol: :lol:

I absolutely love pork shoulder - quite the best bit for slow cooking. I really like the sound of your marinade too. Thanks.
HH

Postby Suelle » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:18 am

Nigel Slater has a recipe for a savoury apple crumble, with cheese and herbs in the topping - it's a delicious accompaniment to sausages:

http://frozencheeseomelette.wordpress.c ... e-crumble/
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox