Register

Lunch: Grilled Wild Salmon Fusion Teriyaki

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Lunch: Grilled Wild Salmon Fusion Teriyaki

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Today, we had decided to have some lovely wild salmon I had purchased at the Le Mercat La Boqueria yesterday ..

Here is a quick little recipe that can be prepared with salmon, prawns or chicken ..

1 medium ripe mango peeled and diced
1 small ripe papaya Bio, peeled and diced
2 tblsps green spring onion or red onion
2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon of fresh spearmint herb minced
2 médium to large slices of salmon ( non farmed & not steak cut )
2 tblsps honey
2 tablespoons of seasme seeds ( Bio )
4 tablsps of Bio Japanese Teriyaki
1 / 2 lemon, for a drizzle of juice
Evoo, preferably Evoo, 100% Hojiblanca Bio

1) Marinate the salmon for 30 minutes in the orange juice, with all the fruit, ginger, onion and a tablespoon of Evoo and the Teriyaki ..

2) Since we cannot grill on our terraces, we grill stove top ..

3) Pour a bit of Evoo onto your grill pan, and place flame on medium ..

4) Take the salmon, and shake off excess liquid and flesh side down, grill approx. 2 to 3 minutes per side depending on how rare one likes their salmon. Turn over carefully and cook the other side, 3 minutes .. The internal temperature we use is 135 - 145 depending on thickness of the salmon ..

5) Serve immediately with the left over marinade un-used containing the fruit and Teriyaki .. and sprinkle some spearmint leaves on top of the fruit and / or salmon ..

Lovely quick little lunch ..

Pairs lovely with a Sparkling Rosé .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Lunch: Grilled Wild Salmon Fusion Teriyaki

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 20, 2018 10:40 pm

I make salmon teriyaki quite often

I don't think any authentic recipe contains orange juice, papaya or mango (unless it comes via Hawaii of course, Japan being temperate, doesn't have any tropical fruit) And certainly I would not expect any form of olive oil, which I find quite "off" in oriental food, I use ground nut oil or sunflower oil if I don't have any; rice bran oil is also good (but expensive)

Do you really work in Fahrenheit? 135 - 145 deg C would be cremated but it's always good to specify the unit

It is recommended never to serve the marinade from meat or fish without cooking it first.

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 21, 2018 10:42 am

S.S.

1) This is a fusión Teriyaki, not traditional Teriyaki which is specified in title ..

2) I stated, I used a fresh batch of the fruit for the drizzling sauce or for a sauce boat ..

3) I never use the a marinade from the marinated items .. Always prepare a fresh batch for cooking .. ( un-used marinade sauce )

4) I do not use any other type of Oil in my cooking except Bio Evoo.

If you prefer other oils to Bio Evoo, then do so ..

5) I do not use Farenheit, it was my error when I was typing ..

Have a nice day. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Amyw » Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 am

Why out of interest do you not use any other oil apart from olive oil ? I like olive oil and probably use it the most out of my oil collection but would never use it in Asian food or a curry for example , like Sue

Postby jeral » Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 pm

I can't imagine sweet-ish fruit with honey or sugar or mirin glazed salmon as to me it needs something to counter its overwhelmingly salmony taste, e.g. peppery rocket or broc florets or pan-seared pak choi, plus bland little new potatoes.

The fruit and spearmint herb, with red or salad onion almost like a salsa would suit me as a starter or side though. Also, the big watermelons are on sale here at the moment so I'd include some chunks of that too.

It must be a delight to be back in your own kitchen after all the eating out you have to do all the time.

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Jeral, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Truly is a lovely dish .. and turned out quite lovely .. The grilled wild salmon was simply extraordinary and the Latin & Japanese fusion touches ( very lightly semi sweet ) were quite delicate ..

This recipe comes from a Chef friend and I had given it a try ..

Thank you for your feedback and have a lovely evening .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Renée » Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Alexandria, I gasped when I read those ingredients … all the things that I love! Yes, I have made Salmon Teriyaki in the past, lots of times, but I love that fusion version. I like my salmon still translucent in the middle.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 am

Jeral: tropical fruit ( especially mango, passion fruit, pineapple) seem to go extremely well with oily fish like salmon. and you know what? They don´t taste "sweet", surprisingly.

Amyw: I agree with you. I use olive oil for Mediterranean dishes; butter for French and English; peanut( or soya) oil for Chinese; ghee, coconut and veg oil for Indian. But perhaps I´m just a purist. Fusion or not, I think it´s just a "taste" thing. Olive oil and Indian spices just don´t go together, IMHO. Same as slatherings of butter with Chinese/Japanese cuisine.
Still - every one to their own. What ever rocks your boat :rudolph1 :rudolph1

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 am

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you very much once again ..

This is sublime refinement .. And it is not sweet and very refreshing ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 am

Karakoolaide, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

This dish is extraordinarily lovely ..

The Bio Evoo was used to oil the grill, and nothing more ..

The fresh marinade which was not used was lightly drizzled and it came out truly like a gem ..

It is a fusion dish based on the original Teriyaki with " Latin " touches ..
:lol: :lol:

Since I very rarely cook anything at home, but Mediterranean ( Catalan, Spanish Regional, Italian Regional & Southern French Provençal ) I do not have a collection of oils other than Evoo ..

I have 25 bottles of Evoo of all different types .. Hojiblanca 100% from Tarragona is very very light and green not gold .. I buy local bio and sustainable products and do not use industrials .. I buy the Evoos from local groves .. :clap :clap

Yes, whatever rocks one´s boat ! Excellent point .. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

The Chef who gave me this recipe is part Japanese and part Peruvian .. :lol: :lol:

Thank you for your feedback and have a lovely day ..

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 23, 2018 3:46 am

25 bottles of EVOO???

I´m on my way :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox