Register

Sunday Brunch: What are your faves ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Sunday Brunch: What are your faves ?

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 15, 2018 11:17 am

Dried Black Beans, Pinto Beans & Rose Colored Beans:

Navarra is a large producer of both black, pinto and rose beans, so one surely may be able to find some imported Spanish brands ..

Feijoada, ( pronounced: Faye joe ah da ) the Brazilian national dish, is prepared with black beans, and it is simply amazingly delicious for those who want to try something just a bit different ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 am

I've had the Chinese black beans in the cardboard container. I'm sure I was told that they were fermented

What you had is Tau Si - fermented black beans. You either love them, or hate them. I love them and can eat them like peanuts!
Black beans are popular in South America; especially Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil and Ecuador. The Venezuelan national dish is called " Pabellón" and consists of pulled skirt of beef, refried with onion, garlic and sweet chiles, fried plantains, white rice and black beans.
Much better to buy the beans dry, as then you can control the flavouring you wish to add. Canned means you get the manufacturer´s flavouring, which is sometimes inadequate.
Here we : (a) soak the beans overnight (b) pressure cooker for 25 mins OR in boiling water for an hour and a bit. Then we add a " sofrito" ( a mirepoix) of onions, sweet peppers, sweet chiles and garlic. The dish is finished with abundant coriander leaf, a tsp of sugar and a good glug of olive oil.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 am

karadekoolaid wrote:fermented black beans. You either love them, or hate them. I love them and can eat them like peanuts!

Me too! After all this talk of them I made a batch of blk bean sauce last night - flavours will develop the longer it's left in the fridge & it lasts for ages.

In the warmer weather I make salsas with the dried (turtle)blk beans adding plenty of garlic/ginger/lime/chili or red & orange peppers with grated orange & sherry vinegar, or mix them with diced mango/chili/lime - the combinations are endless really with the beans earthiness & they always make a pretty looking salsa.

Postby jeral » Wed May 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks ever so folks. Not only do I now know what I'm buying but also what the heck to do with them :D

I've bought some ordinary ones in a tin, but still on the look out for fermented as the Chinese shop is a way away, so I'll save all your helpful posts.

Postby Luca » Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 pm

My favourite brunches include smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with chives, kedgeree, eggs benedict and of course an occasional grilled selection of bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes, sometimes with black pudding and always with eggs which are usually poached. Hot fresh black coffee and Buck's Fizz are mandatory.

Postby jeral » Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Luca, far better if they were to appear by magic, rather than pinny on and start cooking them. Perhaps pass the parcel to see who gets the pinny ;)

Postby Luca » Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

jeral wrote:Luca, far better if they were to appear by magic, rather than pinny on and start cooking them. Perhaps pass the parcel to see who gets the pinny ;)

If you can arrange for Hugh Jackman to come over to my place for breakfast I'll gladly play! As long as he doesn't cook French toast or anything sweet. Fresh papaya and lime juice would be good too. 8-)

Postby jeral » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Tee hee. A much better plan. On that basis, it wouldn't even matter if "he" (or "she" for our menfolk likewise dreaming) could cook at all if juicy fresh fruit that dribbles down your chin were to be seductively offered.
*drifts off*

Postby jeral » Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 pm

Not exactly brunch, except for the leftover half today. I made a vegan veg pie yesterday including a fair few of the ordinary tinned black beans, in double crust short pasty, with separate gravy so no soggy bottom.

A miscellany of other fridge/cupboard ingredients and flavourings were used in making the filling that I dreamed up, resulting in earthy plus tasty so decidedly not at all the dreaded "bland veg". Good ho :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Thank you for all your Feedback Jeral & Luca .. :lol: :lol:

All my best for a lovely evening .. :clap :clap

Kindly excuse me however, I must get up a 6am to be on time for a 7.30am breakfast meeting on the other side of Barcelona ..

Goodnight .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 18, 2018 9:10 am

I think most of my options have been mentioned. Proper fry up/ mixed grill, or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon or something else, eggs Benedict, huevos rancheros. Other smoked fish are an option - haddock (as is or in Kedgeree) or my favourite smoked halibut. Am going to Scotland in a few weeks, will visit Gigha :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Fri May 18, 2018 4:20 pm

It's years since I've had halibut and never smoked. How does it come, i.e. slivers for toast points or a fillet piece? Maybe in Gigha you'll get a whole one (if your credit card has a penny or two on it) :mrgreen:

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 18, 2018 6:17 pm

The smoked halibut I have had has always been thinly sliced like salmon.

An unsliced side is £80 according to the website.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Actually my ideal Sunday Brunch would be Eggs Joe Allen (variant on Benedict) and a Bloody Mary at Joe Allen's in Covent Garden. Haven't done that in years.
http://www.joeallen.co.uk

Must try The Good Egg, original branch in N16 and now in Soho too, most hipster brunch in the world, allegedly

Postby Alexandria » Fri May 18, 2018 9:38 pm

If ever in Barcelona: :lol: :lol:

Halfway between heaven and earth: :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Hotel Can Bonastre Wine Resort
El Achua Spa & Restaurant Tribia
Carretera B 224
KM. 13.2
Masquefa, Barcelona 08793

( 30 Kilometres West of Barcelona City and 5 Kilometres from Sant Sadurní d´ Anoia, our Cava Appellation )

Web page: http://www.canbonastre.com

Reservations: 93. 772. 87 6 7 ..

Have a wonderful weekend .. :wave :wave

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox