Register

Croquetas de Jamón: Spanish Ham Croquettes

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Croquetas de Jamón: Spanish Ham Croquettes

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Sunday Evening, :wave :wave

In general Spanish people are very fond of their oval or cylindrical croquettes, characterised by a crunchy, golden batter of egg and home made breadcrumbs around a soft, creamy filling speckled with tiny pieces of Iberian Acorn Fed Ham or Cod Fish.

Family Recipe ..

90 ml. Extra virgin olive oil
150 grams of Iberian Ham ( or Proscuitto or Cod fish )
1 Tiny Onion or shallot minced
45 grams of unbleached flour of choice
750 ml. whole milk
1 egg ( cage free and naturally fed ) separated
salt to taste
Bread crumbs for coating ( from day old bread or bio bread crumbs )
A pinch of grated nutmeg

1) Heat the Evoo in a skillet and gently sauté the ham until golden. Remove from the pan and then golden brown the shallot or onion in the same oil on a very low flame ..
2) Add the flour and stir to form a stiff mixture.
3) Very slowly pour in the milk slowly to form a "bechamel" sauce.
4) Now, slice the ham or cod fish very finely either by hand or with a stand up mixer or in a blender.
5) If using a blender, add a tiny drop of the milk ..
6) Add the ham to the bechamel sauce and stir constantly on a very low flame with a wooden spoon until the bechamel thickens.
7) Add the egg yolk and check seasoning ..
8) Transfer the sauce to a large deep glass dish and sprinkle with a bit of grated nutmeg.
9) Beat the egg white in a plate and place the breadcrumbs on another plate ..
10) Using 1 or 2 teaspoons of the bechamel, scoop up the bechamel and shape it into "croquettes" about the size of a small egg.
11) Dip into the beaten egg white first and then coat with breadcrumbs ..
12) Now re form or reshape with your hands.
13) Half fill a medium size deep skillet or frying pan ..
14) Add the Evoo and when the oil is very hot, place 4 croquettes at a time in the very hot oil and turn carefully so they do not break ..
15) Fry until golden brown and drain on paper towels and serve ..

Have a nice evening ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Croquetas de Jamón: Spanish Ham Croquettes

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Those croquettes sound lovely but are a bit flour and dairy-heavy for me as I prefer to eat minimal of those (hence Yorks Pud withdrawal symptoms as it's ages since I made any as I like them more than they like me).

I treat spud croquettes as the carb rather than flavour element of which there's usually enough in the main dish, although I do add garlic and parsley if cooking a fish suited to just lemon. Cauliflower (sometimes burnt cauliflower if the mood takes) croquettes are good too when it's in season.

Not forgetting karadekoolaid's artichoke ones he mentioned he'd made which sound delicious - quote:
"Plus some artichoke "balls" - cooked artichoke, garlic, a bit of potato, a bit of cream, an egg, breadcrumbs to coat -deep-fried in oil then reheated in the oven."

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Jeral, :thumbsup

Thank you for the compliment ..

Actually made these for my two grandsons, aged 7 & 8, and my married twin sons, who drove down to deliver some fresh fish, they caught on the Northern Costa Brava, where they reside ..

They turned out truly exceptional and the bechamel was just the perfect texture ..

As far as uncultivated seasonal artichokes go, for us they are a winter vegetable from the Navarre and Asturian regions ..

My mom makes an amazing Asturian dish with them, and fresh netted clams & white northern beans. :thumbsup :thumbsup

It is quite a marvelous authentic classic of the Asturian Region ..

Have a lovely evening .. Now a lovely walk over on the beach .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:22 pm

I felt hungry just reading through that recipe, Alexandria! I have made similar croquetas in the past, but not from a recipe ... just guesswork.

When I have lost some weight, I will make these. I know how delicious they are.

Incidentally, I bought a jar of Ibérico Pork Fat when I placed an order with Essential Cuisine recently. It is produced in Spain.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:35 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for your compliment ..

Yes, I do not make very often, so I require the measurements for the filling .. A guide line to follow ..

I actually had one, as they had come to visit me after lunch, and the kids, my twin sons and husbands chowed down !!

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:20 am

I like croquetas
I've not seen a recipe that requires the ham to be fried before, though I would expect that to spread the flavour from the ham fat through the croqueta
I've never tried making bechamel based croquettes, a little scared of not getting the consistency right

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:34 am

I had some in Barcelona in 2015. The softness of the filling was awesome. If you can nail them with the bechamel, they are second to none!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 am

Karakoolaide, Good Morning, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, they are quite delicious when made from scratch .. and the Bechamel is just right .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks for the feedback .. Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Sue, :thumbsup :thumbsup

The key is the bechamel .. One can make it separately surely to get the texture just right. It is not easy to prepare, and my mom and grandmothers had taught me how to do it .. So, though a bit daunting at 1st, practice makes " perfect croquettes " ..

Yes, the ham is sautéed lightly and if you prefer cod fish, that is sautéed too for optium flavor ..

Have a nice day .. :wave :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 am

Whenyou say cod fish, fresh or salted?

I make Caribbean style salt cod fritters, sometimes called Stamp 'n' Go, but those just use a thick batter of wself-raising flour and water

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 pm

The Dutch make something rather similar. I learned how from a Dutch neighbour. However they used butter and the bechamel base has geletine added (dissolved of course) this are left to chill in the fridge so the gelatine sets. They are then egged and breadcrumbed - I use panko crumbs these days.
When they are briefly deep fried they are as crisp as anything and really creamy inside.

I use cooked chicken, prawns, salmon. Great for using up a little of something.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I have never used Panko Crumbs though I have seen them at the Asian Kiosk in Le Mercat de La Boqueria ..

Thank you for the suggestion ..

Have a lovely evening .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Sue, :thumbsup :thumbsup

I prefer to use a piece of fresh cod fish as I honestly find salt cod too too salty for my palate even with the soaking process and changing of the water several times ..

I also soak the cod in milk as it tenderises the fish ..

Salt cod fritters sound good ..

Have a nice day .. :wave :wave

Postby jeral » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Alexandria wrote:...[clip]...
I have never used Panko Crumbs though I have seen them at the Asian Kiosk in Le Mercat de La Boqueria ..

Panko breadcrumbs really are very very crispy once fried. I usually season the actual crumbs beforehand with S&P and herbs to suit. I tend to press them in very slightly too.

I use groundnut (peanut) oil for frying those, then drain well on kitchen paper. A handy tip from WhitefieldFoodie and karadekoolaid I think more recently is to fry, drain/blot, chill, then reheat in oven later.

I haven't tried oil-free baked panko-crumbed things so can't comment. Others may have...

Have fun experimenting :)

Postby Alexandria » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:13 am

Jeral, :thumbsup :thumbsup

I shall take a look about and see, how they would work with some fresh fish or boneless skinless chicken breasts ..

I appreciate your feedback ..

Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 pm

I use groundnut (peanut) oil for frying those, then drain well on kitchen paper. A handy tip from WhitefieldFoodie and karadekoolaid I think more recently is to fry, drain/blot, chill, then reheat in oven later.

Did I say that?? :o :o

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:42 am

ha ha ha.

This is the video that I follow for croquetas. Egg, ham or mostly cod.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Very good video, Gill.
I was a little surprised at the quantity of milk, but then, when the lady said: " Leave them in the fridge for 24 hours", I understood where she was at.
Missed the actual recipe, however.

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:16 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:
Did I say that?? :o :o

karadekoolaid, you did, but not specifically re panko, i.e.
Plus some artichoke "balls" - cooked artichoke, garlic, a bit of potato, a bit of cream, an egg, breadcrumbs to coat -deep-fried in oil then reheated in the oven.

WhitefieldFoodie's reference wasn't specifically re panko either, but the principle works well I've found as they seem to retain more oil in the rough surface than ordinary crumbs, and reheating (180C) causes some more to drain out so I reheat on kitchen paper. Or have the oven ready at 160C and put them straight in on paper while sorting the rest and plates etc out. :)

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:24 pm

This thread has made me crave some melty, salty croquetas really badly. I may, now have a tapas evening on Saturday with Tiff.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Whitefield Foodie, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for the compliment ..

Definitely a lovely tapa !!

Have a nice evening and Thanks for your feedback .. :wave :wave

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox