Register

Masterchef the finals

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Masterchef the finals

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 am

And Nawamin could have his own show.

Portuguese Alex cooks Nandos chicken and chips.

Kenny's calmed down and stopped doing the pogo on top of other contestants when he gets through.

T'other fella might not get through to the final 3, he's not so memorable.

Great contestants this time round.

Re: Masterchef the finals

Postby Renée » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:27 am

It's very nail-biting, isn't it?

Yes, I agree about Nawamin and hope that he wins! He has such a great personality and a television series would be good for him.

Last night's episode filmed in Lima in Peru was fascinating and I enjoyed it very much, although some of the food looked rather strange and I wouldn't want to be looking at a bowl of fish heads on the table. :lol: :lol: Greg and John enjoyed all the food produced without any criticism, so it must have been excellent despite some rather unusual ingredients.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 am

Last night was strange as it wasn't a competition.

Nawamin's food is undoubtedly inspired, but I could not take a whole showful of his childish glee, I just want to slap him....

I am enjoying the series to an extent (I usually skip forward in the "team" ones where they doen't get eliminated), but I don't think I well ever warm to Torode or Pasty, tolerance is the best they are going to get from me!

Yes Renee, intriguing programme, but I wonder if much of what was served in the "Molecular Gastronomy" place was anything a traditional Peruvian would recognise. Sea Urchin?

The doughnuts that Nawamin made looked extremely hard work.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:40 am

Yes it was a good one last night.
John and Greg together gave me the chuckles. They were like an old married couple fine dining out.

I was listening to Lisa Faulkener on the radio.
She was saying John's knowledge of ingredients was mind blowing, he's in China.
I've always preferred him to any of the other presenters.

And don't know why he doesn't do the professionals. Perhaps he's too busy.

That piranha dish really was odd wasn't it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 am

Ah, you're not such a fan of Torode, Sakkers.

Talking of the sea urchin, I tried it in Taormina. With spaghetti.
Tiny pieces that were fabulous.
But I don't know how a big piece would go down, and stay down. It's strong!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 pm

Well that was unexpected, Torode blubbing!!!! Twice!!!

I'm afraid for me when I saw those baby vine tomatoes tomatoes going into the oven I thought the portuguese lady might be the one leaving, even with the knackered jelly...

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:18 am

I confess I was just in the middle of saying his apple layered rough puff thing was dul ...... till John did a Gazza. I was looking at it, it cannot have been that good surely.

Tony yelped as Kenny pulled the rectangle "ring" off.
Alex's wasn't very good eating. And the plate looked like it had been dropped. And you're right about the baked mini tomatoes on the vine.
That's easier than making toast.

Tony went to make a cup of tea mutter something at the white chocolate profiterole bit. But you can use white chocolate in baking to replace fat, and it's stable.
The milky bars are on meeeeeeeee

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 am

I was annoyed at the guy who was supposed to be helping them who let Kenny go off without his cauliflower. His fault, not Kenny's as he was clearly helping the others. Still, maybe that's part of why K got through.

I think the point of the apple dish may have been at the amount of work it had involved, and that he had also managed to make it presentable. His "to do" list must have been on a similar scale to the 5 hour marathon they'd just done on the "Dinner" dishes. Rough puff pastry flaky enough for a millefeuille in 90 minutes? It's a bit like creating a loaf from scratch in 45 minutes - you know it can't be done.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 am

I didn't post yesterday because I couldn't watch the Peru episode - thunderstorm stopped play!!

Last night annoyed me.The first part of the competition appears to have little effect on the second and the final outcome.

If I had my way Kenny would have gone.

I couldn't stand Nawamin for a full programme either Sakkers. He is so like an over eager puppy, though I do agree his food is original, well cooked and presented. He would need a firm training regime.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Sorry, am I wicked? I keep bursting out laughing when I think of Torode blubbing!

Joan, the whole Peru episode was "for the hell of it", no adjudication.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Aussie males seem to go in for it don't they. Think of those cheating cricketers :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:16 pm

We probably all do in private. TV blubbing often makes me teary too, but fortunately nobody witnesses it! Going to the cinema can be awkward though, most recently to see "The Shape of Water", and sneaking out hoping nobody would notice the reddened eyes, or maybe think I have conjunctivitis...

Especially as Sally Hawkins' love interest was pretty much an enormous plastic frog.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Oooo, you are awful ........................ but I like you.

The chap who plays the frog bloke in the film looks the same in real life!

So, who do you want to win.
I vote the bloke who reduced Torode to tears. Is it David?

What I do like about the final is, (seemingly) none of what's gone before matters. Not Peru - not that it matters anyway.
Not pro kitchens.
It's how you perform on the day.

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:09 pm

I don't understand why Moonira was deselected earlier yet Alex went through with her chicken and chips (hardly a stunning expample of "growing" from "the journey") and Gregg said he didn't even want to eat some of it!

Any ideas on who'll win? I'm thinking they might choose David who's the most forward thinking. However, the final must be so much pressure that any of them could fluff it - where's my tissues...

I hope Nawamin stays a home cook and qualifies as a doctor in the UK if he's intending to stay here. He already is in Thailand and their loss is surely our gain.

PS Gillthepainter's post just in. Great minds think alike? ;) (Or both wrong, lol)

Postby Renée » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Aussie males seem to go in for it don't they. Think of those cheating cricketers :lol:

Yes, they're only sorry when they get caught out and not at the time. :evil:

Yes, David or Nawamin might win.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:37 pm

As a proclaimed lover and would-be guru of Thai food, I suspect Torode is in awe of Navarin. I confess I am slightly too.

Accomplished he may be, but I'm not sure if David has made anything I'd actually eat so far, I'll have to check back.

So that's my prediction: Navarin top, David second and Kenny fourth (Moonira should have been third).

On the other hand Navarin might make something even sillier than satay profiteroles, and sink without trace.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:49 pm

How wrong could I be!

Oh well, the other two have good jobs to go back to...

There were quite a few elements I recognised from previous rounds and their trips to other chefs' kitchens.

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Well well well. Do you think Kenny will be inspired enough to risk becoming a full time chef now and maybe open his own place in Brighton? As a bank manager he could probably give himself a start-up loan...

Nawamin's dishes were even more amazing than ever but it has to be perfect to win. I suspect David shot himself in the foot with his starter and dessert being so similar as his food passed muster.

Cheers to all three :) :wino

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 pm

I think it was week one at college that we were taught not to have similar textures in two courses on the same menu!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:48 am

Gooooood God!
Mushrooms for starter, and mushroom with the main. Beef and potatoes.
Cabbage parcel.
That wasn't even playing it safe. I wonder if he calculated he'd walk it. And didn't have to do so much.

Kenny did really well.
I gasped at his one pudding mistake, but he deserved to win on the day.

Nawamin couldn't maintain that smile for anything after his starter.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox