Register

Collectionist, Eclectic or Minimalist ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Collectionist, Eclectic or Minimalist ?

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Good Afternoon, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

What is your Kitchen Style ? Are you a collectionist of farm animal figurines or tea pots, etcetra ? Are you eclectic ? Or are you a minimalist like myself ?

I am a minimalist modernist, since we had our kitchen renovated in 2016 ..

Preferring modernism & minimalism and the lack of clutter and dust collectors ..

At our tiny apartment up in near Cadaques on the coast of Northern Cadaques, we have a rustic seaside kitchen in appearance however, in reality it is all brand new and / or refurbished as well ..

The only thing we collect are books ..

Have a nice day .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Collectionist, Eclectic or Minimalist ?

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:44 pm

I have a big Provencal style farmhouse kitchen and a collection of blue and white china and cream jugs. However I also have a modern ranger cooker and a very new, very efficient larder fridge,no larder as such but the cellar is next door down a step and I have my freezer and a second fridge in there, plus my store cupboard and preserves and of course the wine

As the house dates from the 18C minimalist just wouldn't work :D

Postby Renée » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:21 pm

I too prefer modernism and minimalism and the lack of clutter and dust collectors. My bungalow was built about 30 years ago, so not really old and my kitchen is quite small compared to my previous kitchen, which is fine as I live on my own. I just have one Japanese china vase in shades of blue and white, which I like very much on the windowsill. Various machines are on the worktop and that's about it. I have dark blue with mottled light blue tiles and one wall is nice sunshine yellow colour. I have a white tiled floor which shows every mark, but at least I know when it needs cleaning!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Modern glossy wouldn't work in my kitchen, as it is in effect in a cottage (it's a flat but very cottage-y) dating from about 1860)

I prefer no clutter but perhaps one or two nice objects to stop it looking too clinical, I have open shelves for some storage, I'd prefer not to but it looks right here, and as the kitchen is a bit too small I need the storage!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Your homes sounds wonderful and full of character.

I have every available inch in my pokey kitchen rammed full of all culinary acquisitions.
There is a gap above our cupboards, where I can stuff kitchen paper, salad spinner, slow cooker etc etc.
I've started to move under the stairs - which is where I keep my olive oils, and filter coffees/ dry goods.
Near the vacuum.

Our house is minimalist.
Nothing on the walls, not even a painting!

I've just bought 4 packets of granola on offer, and can honestly say I have absolutely nowhere to store them.

I dream of a walk in pantry. ........

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I dream of a walk in pantry. ........

Oh so do I!

Postby Renée » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I don't, because I would collect far too much! :lol:

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 pm

I used to have a walk-in pantry & oh how I miss it! No matter how many cupboards you have, you can't beat a pantry!

I am most certainly not minimalist - I have a lot of quality 'stuff' collected over the years and also inherited
& I wouldn't be without it - it makes home......home!

I think it denotes your personality too - when I walk into a very minimilist home I don't get the sense of who lives there - & it often screams 'Bland' or 'Boring' !!

I find a lot of folk deliberately hide behind it too - a bit showroom-esq!

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Is this what we have or would like to have?

Does anyone remember there was (or is) "the longest bar" on the South Coast or wherever? I'd like one of those, thus avoiding cupboards too high, too low and too deep. Or conversely, a wall full of pull-out larder units, preferably with a hydraulic spring-touch mechanism so I could actually pull them out rather than just admire the "clean line" they gave whilst closed with the contents never seeing the light of day :D

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:03 pm

We have a few trinkety things on display in our kitchen. Mainly jugs, and a couple of pretty mugs and plates. However, I do have some of my kitchen kit on the worktops for ease of use, such as the toaster, food processor, scales, kettle and free-standing food mixer.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Our kitchen is like Kate Moss.
You know, long and skinny!

The only stuff on the work surfaces are the sugar, salt, coffee, flour and Rice pots. The microwave, a small oven - that´s it. Anything gadget-like is stacked away in the cupboards.

So I suppose we´re minimalist.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 pm

Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Definitely sounds amazingly enchanting ..

I agree, that minimalism would not be conducive ..

Thank you for all your feedback .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 am

Sue, :thumbsup

No, I agree, that minimalism would not be appropriate in your cottage style residence ..

Thank you for your feedback .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Sounds charming ..

Thank you for the feedback .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:12 am

The Guilt Painter, :thumbsup :thumbsup

The renovated apartment building where we reside, was built in the Belle Epoc Era, and we have a " pantry " which served as Maid´s Quarters, during that time ..

My parents renovated the apartment from ceilings to floors when they lived in the apartment .. They decided to create a storage room out of it ..

When my husband and I met, my parents had opened their hospitality and porcelaine business up on the northern Costa Brava and they rented the apartment to us ..

As time passed, we got married, had our twin sons, we had decided to renovate the apartment more to our liking twice during that time ..

Then, just two years ago, we re-furbished the entire apartment once again ..

Our pantry was also renovated and has become a " wine storage " and dry goods storage, in addition to storing paper goods, earthenware, tapas servingware etcetra ..

It is a cannot live without space ! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 am

Strictly, Jeral & Karakoolaide, :thumbsup

Thank you for all your feedback .. Always enjoy these type of topics ..

Late here, 12.15am and I must be up at 6am for a meeting with clients ..

Shall, re - read all your posts tomorrow ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am

Our current house is about 90 years old, we've been here 19. The kitchen is a bit Kate Moss and would not work with too much clutter. We had it fitted out about 10 years ago - most things are in cupboards. Bland, boring and showroom-esque it is then! :D

Some knives are in a block, some tools are hanging from hooks on a couple of racks, some are standing in a pottery jar. Three more pots contain porridge oats, plastic clips and the third is a bread crock. The only gadget permanently on show is the breadmaker. Unless you count the kettle and teapot, but they are more a life support system.

Actually there are two small corner shelves. One has got a phone on it (used to be the home for the wifi router), the second supports the DAB radio.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 am

...kitchen is like Kate Moss

Mine is Mossy too.

Sorry, I mean Messy... and there's nowhere for me to hide as that's it in the piccy at the top!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
Mine is Mossy too.

Sorry, I mean Messy... and there's nowhere for me to hide as that's it in the piccy at the top!
:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Ours is sort of mossy, as there are several plants on each windowsill. I had forgotten about those, and the mortar & pestle for that matter.

Also not forgetting the mealworms by the back door...

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox