Register

Gordon Ramsey Closed More Usa Restaurants

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Gordon Ramsey Closed More Usa Restaurants

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 am

Morning Q.
She was looking for a table for 4, her, the husband, daughter plus SonIL. Kew Richmond or thereabouts.

On Mothering Sunday. So everywhere would be booked out she thought as she'd left it till the Friday.

I told her to try Browns (used to be Pizarros down by the Green). When did that close?
She was delighted to see the Browns in Kingston was still going, but there was no availability at all for a few days online.

I told her to phone, and she got several table options for Mother's Day.

So it was Browns in Kingston (I think it's called Botanical too?).
She loved it there, walk along the river beforehand.

Postby QinNortham » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 am

Gill, can't remember when Pizzaros closed. Browns became Botanicals/Botanics before 2009 because we had an end of season do there when I worked at Kew Palace. Wine & Moussaka is/was now a Swedish restaurant.

Browns was started by a couple I was at university with in the 1970's.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:56 am

Ha! What a coincidence that you knew "the Browns".

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Surprised to see after our recent discussion that HungryHouse has been taken over by JustEat. I wonder what pushed the balance over, I got the impression HungryHouse had the edge with their branding.

EDIT: Your post about Kew prompted me to try and find the name of the long-gone restaurant that my parents had their wedding reception at in 1954.

It hasn't gone at all, it's still there, Matthias's Cafe, 86 Kew Road. But is that classed as Sheen, the other end of Kew Road? I remember staying with my auntie who lived a couple of hundred yards further down Kew Road from Matthias's, we always considered her as having lived in Kew.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 am

That's definitely Kew, Sakkarin.
I remember the cafe, it was a huge grand place. If I'm right - the wedding cake shop. Art Deco.

I've walked that road hundreds of times. Thanks for the memories, it still looks good up there.

Postby QinNortham » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 am

Sakks, strictly speaking that end of Kew Road is probably Richmond.

Mathhias was turned into flats a few years ago, well the upper floors, the ground floor is a tiny......................Tescos. They had to keep the very lovely facade of the building as part of the PP.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Facade. Appropriate word! They've done that in Watford, the town centre has been ripped out, and they've kept the facade of just one old building, literally: all they've kept is the front wall, completely devoid of any structural relevance, and fitted the rest of the new development around it.

Apart from an IMAX cinema complex, the big retail draws were to be Debenhams (a massive one third of the whole development) and on the restaurant side Byron. Both are now dodgy (has Byrons disappeared?), it remains to be seen what will be left, especially as the existing part of the town centre mall is already full of enpty units.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:33 am

I wouldn't say no to a flat there, Q.

Doncaster seemingly is struggling under recent problems I heard on the radio (my family lives there).
Its high street is furnished with the most failed businesses and dying a slow death.

Depressing or what!

Has Pizza Hut had a facelift.
Is it called "The Hut" now?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:20 pm

Byron is still going, they've only closed the sites that individually couldn't get into profit because of the ridiculous rents

London property will bust eventually, the market is unsustainable

Pizza Hut is still Pizza Hut, but they seem to refer to the eat-in restaurants as "Huts" now.. They have a lot of takeaway (delivery) outlets now, one round the corner from here

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks Sue.
I saw a sign on the dual carriageway for The Hut, in the same style of writing. And wondered.

On a similar takeaway note, we saw a deliveroo chap on his bike cycling up a hill.
We tried to catch his attention, but couldn't.

His food box was flapping wide open, I still wonder if he arrived with the delivery still in there, I doubt it.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox