Register

Under Rated Food Combining

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Under Rated Food Combining

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Good Morning and Have a wonderful weekend ahead .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

What are some of your under-rated food combinations that you enjoy ?

Here a few of mine:

1) Parmigiano Reggiano with Fresh Fennel Bulb Salad ..

2) Oven roasted beetroot stuffed with goat cheese Feta, tomato, red onion or shallot, Cucumber, fresh dill herb, fresh mint herb and drizzled with Greek Bio Evoo ..

3) Brisighella, Italian Farmhouse Soup: Ravioli stuffed with Pecorino Tuscano, or Aged Asiago, Fresh chive herb, Fresh Genovese Basil, grated nutmeg, and home made chicken stock broth, celery, carrots, bay leaf and San Marzano tomatoes with their juice and 2 cloves ..

4) Spicy Patata Bravas with Green Peppercorn Dijon Mustard for Dipping .. ( I prepare the Salsa Brava, and place in a sauce boat ) ..

5) Sweet ravioli filled with chestnuts during the Christmas holidays ..

Have a wonderful weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Under Rated Food Combining

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "underrated combinations" here - the first two - fennel and parmesan; beetroot and feta are classic, in fact the baked beetroot and feta or goat's cheese is almost impossible to avoid if eating out round here, it's on every bistro and gastropub menu in some format

The other dishes are pasta with different flavours - not striking combinations that wouldn't usually be put together?

A UK classic sandwich is hard boiled egg with tomato - I was rather surprised when I i discovered this, in my family it is cucumber that goes with hard boiled egg, and I still prefer it but to most people that's odd

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:38 pm

I don'r see Parmesan and fennel as a strange combination, I love baked parmesan fennel served with fish.

Grilled beetroot and balsamic vinegar and goat's cheese on toasted rustic bread is a favourite lunch

Goats! cheese and morello cherries wrapped in filo makes a lovely starter served on some fresh leaves.

I do a similar thing with cod brandade and tapenade.

A favourite dessert when the figs are ripe is a fresh fig split into a flower shape then filled with cream cheese, almonds and honey

I can't help remembering sole with bananas which really works as does devilled crab with fired bananas.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:10 pm

To me, a hard boiled egg sandwich is egg and cress.

Chicken and bananas might be thought odd in UK maybe, but not necessarily elsewhere. It works so well in many ways though.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:40 am

Joan & Stokey Sue, :wave :wave

I do not think the dishes I mentioned are unusual either, but they are "rare & odd" in Spain ..

Have a lovely evening and weekend and thanks for the feedback ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:12 am

If we´re talking about underrated combinations, I think that cacio é pepe is highly underrated. Properly prepared, with Pecorino cheese, black pepper and spaghetti, it´s just a perfect combination.
The same goes for a classic ceviche. Fresh, squeaky sea bass, loads of lime, onion, yellow chiles, all put together at the last minute.
Asparagus with a hollandaise - I can´t think of a better combination.
A simple combination of fresh tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil and olive oil. Capressa - glorious.

Now ODD combinations - well I can assure you that beetroot and goat cheese (or feta) with a raspberry coulis works extremely well. Even more so on a bed of cooked lentils.
Caribbean chicken curry, with coconut milk, mango and banana, works a treat. So too does Petjel Ayam ( which I prepared last night for a dinner party) - Indonesian chicken curry in coconut milk. The chiles, the coriander powder and the sweet fried onions are a great combination.
Green bananas with grated coconut and chile powder. Aubergines with ketjap manis.
Or a Venezuelan classic - Pastel de Chucho: manta ray , bechamel sauce, fried plantains, and a "sofrito" of onion, garlic and sweet chiles.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 am

Karakoolaide,

Thank you for your feedback ..

Caprese salad with Mozzarella di Bufala may be under rated outiside of Italia, however, I just returned from Italia in February from a business trip and was also there in January for pleasure and to see dear Friends who live in Venice, and it is on almost every menu in Venice ..

I believe the location has alot to do with it too ..

Regional Indian cuisine is not too popular amongst traditional Spaniards however, very popular in Great Britian ..

There are only 2 top Indian restaurants in Spain and they are in Madrid .. located a few metres from the British Embassy .. In Barcelona there are approximately a handful ..

Asparagus in Spain for another example is grilled with Spanish Evoo and sprinkled with sea salt .. The White wild asparagus in Navarre is more popular in the north and the Green from Extremadura, 3 hours south west from Madrid is more popular in the south and Madrid ..

Hollandaise is a brunch menu salsa here, but it is not too common except on Eggs Benedict at contemporary restaurants serving brunch ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup

Thank you for your feedback ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox