Register

New gadgets that work - egg poacher

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

New gadgets that work - egg poacher

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Tony popped them into the shopping trolley in Asda as I love eggs so much.
2 silly-cone egg poachers, with perforations at the bottom.
Instructions are to spray with oil (I used 1 cal) and lower into boiling water. They didn't stick at all, came out nicely.
Neat, easy, dry, as the perforations at the bottom drain the water away. Far easier than the vortex method I usually use, and any others I've tried.

I do like my poached eggs still clucking.

I've also got a defrosting tray that works a treat, super quick when I take my sandwich bread out of the freezer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Defros ... B003UMPFTG

Site Admin

Re: New gadgets that work - egg poacher

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:49 pm

I should feel aggreived, as only perfected the art of poaching eggs a couple of weeks ago (the eggs benedict thread), but they weren't as perfect as that!

I had one of those defrost things, it didn't work for me, but I never used it on bread.

My frozen bread ROLL revitalising regime is 1 min 10 secs in the microwave at 40% in the cling film it was frozen in, remove film and then 6 minutes in the oven from cold set to 200 degrees.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:44 pm

I've not used it on meat yet, Sakkarin. Just bread. I have no idea how it works.

I thought these poached egg cups would stick, but not a bit of it.
I've got microwave poacher cups, but they either explode, or cook the yolk too much.

Will go seek out the eggs benedict thread to have a look at those perfect eggs of yours ......

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:02 pm

They're hidden under the sauce...

And they weren't perfectly perfect, but I'd cracked the technique.

EDIT:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2116&p=56782&hilit=benedict#p56782

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:16 pm

I cracked the egg poaching technique because I bought some egg poaching pods (very different) and the eggs stuck to them like they were glued

Not exactly a gadget but I was given a set of Joseph Joseph index chopping boards and they are great
Just the right size, little corners of something that really stops them slidng

And for me they are really good because in a very cramped kitchen they help with "zoning" the work surface, which is one of those things anyone might find useful but the percentage gain is greater if you are visually impaired

http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Joseph-Joseph-Index-Chopping-Board-Set-Granite-60132.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwnLjVBRAdEiwAKSGPI0N7X65dlKeBvKUOxz9O-9X0c_Cne4pE3bEtCjt3RCmhnaF7g3_c2hoCO9MQAvD_BwE

Postby Pampy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:26 pm

I've got both the silicone poaching thingies (although mine don't have perforations at the bottom) and the defrosting tray and use both of them quite a lot. I also use the egg pods for freezing things like stock and egg whites and you don't even have to oil them!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm

The Gilt Painter, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Good luck with your new "kitcheny toys" ..

These poaching cups are a marvel for Eggs Benedict ..

Thank you for the suggestion ..
Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]...
Not exactly a gadget but I was given a set of Joseph Joseph index chopping boards and they are great
Just the right size, little corners of something that really stops them slidng
[clip]

Am I being thick as I don't get what you are praising. There are foldable chopping boards: https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... gK3KPD_BwE
Also ones that are paper thin flexible silicon(?) that you can buy in pound shops or Amazon, e.g.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housew ... board+sets

I use the latter, which even can be rolled up with an elastic band around for storage. I buy large ones and cut some in half so always have another clean one to hand. (Colour coding is only needed if you use the same one twice.) Half-size is big enough for most things plus fits easily in the dishwasher. Why do you recommend scratchy knife-blunting graphite?

Back on eggs, Gillthepainter, in the past purists would be quick to complain that they were coddled eggs. A good find for me though as I'm happy with coddled and quacking :thumbsup
The swirling water method does deserve a gold medal as it's so hit or miss *bows down*, but you can't eat medals ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:53 pm

jeral wrote:Am I being thick as I don't get what you are praising. There are foldable chopping boards: https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... gK3KPD_BwE
Also ones that are paper thin flexible silicon(?) that you can buy in pound shops or Amazon, e.g.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housew ... board+sets

I use the latter, which even can be rolled up with an elastic band around for storage. I buy large ones and cut some in half so always have another clean one to hand. (Colour coding is only needed if you use the same one twice.) Half-size is big enough for most things plus fits easily in the dishwasher. Why do you recommend scratchy knife-blunting graphite?

I don't recommend graphite, I doubt anyone would or could make a cutting board out of it

The only thing "graphite" about the Joseph Joseph boards is the colour of the storage holder, which comes in silver or graphite

The contents are four colour coded rigid boards similar to those used in professional kitchens, with a different appropriate texture on each side

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm

I bought some Lakeeland poaching pods a while ago but honestly they are more bother than they are worth. The traditional metod of a pan of water and a whisk to creat a vortex before dropping egg in works just as well and with far less hassle of sraying the pod then extracting egg,

If you want to cook a number then fish them out and pop into water until ready to reheat,

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Pampy wrote: I also use the egg pods for freezing things like stock and egg whites and you don't even have to oil them!

Ahha! Thanks for that Pampy! I've had those poddies stored at the back of the cupboard for quite a few years now & keep threatening to throw them out - didn't find them at all good for poaching eggs, but now another use :thumbsup

This thread is spooky 'cos I've been weighing up this week if I can find room for that circulon poacher ( 5 egg) that also doubles as a saute - & do I need it....? decisions & all that.

My poached eggs leave a lot to be desired on the looks front - never come out looking tidy - but all raged edges - love 'em tho'

There was a method involving the micro & cling film that was popular on the old beeb board - anyone use that?

Postby Renée » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Gill, I've never tried an egg poacher and cook mine in a frying pan of gently simmering water and basting the top with the water. Yours look fantastic though, so will look in Asda when I next visit. Thanks for mentioning them and the excellent photos!

I have white chopping boards which are rather stained. Does anyone know how to remove the stains? I am reluctant to use bleach because I thought that the smell might remain.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:36 pm

It doesn't remain Renee - as long as you dry straight away & let have a little breather - and this is from The Bleach Queen !

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:39 pm

It's not the method that makes them ragged, it's the freshness of the eggs. Perfection is 2 days old. Easy if you keep hens!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Joanbunting wrote: Easy if you keep hens!

Living in urban Hove that would go down like a lead balloon................!

I have tho' sometimes thought of getting a vocal cockerel out of revenge! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Renée, I've used neat cheap thin (not thick) chlorine bleach to remove stains like tomato or turmeric from thick plastic(?) cutting boards and the effect is instant. Then washed well with lots of hot detergent water, rinsed well, and left to air dry; don't smell and I'm still alive :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:20 pm

In one way, I can understand the purists, Jeral.
But these eggs are completely covered, over the top too, in the cooking water.

Renee, Tony uses a bleach spray. And we put ours (Ikea) into the dishwasher.

I've seen the Joseph J chopping boards. And think they look marvellous.
I have their stacking measuring cups. For some strange reason, I've only got the green one left. The others must be in the back of the cupboard somewhere.

Postby Renée » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks so much for all your help, especially to The Bleach Queen!!! :lol: :lol:

I'll watch out for the bleach spray, Gill, because it will be the easiest way. No dishwasher these days ... no room!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Lushers, I've tried the cling method, but the eggs stuck to the cling film. It was like peeling a difficult hard boiled egg getting it off.

Talking of bleach, the Vortex method does work too. That's what I would use normally.

Egg poacher come saute pan? Go forrit.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:26 pm

I´ve tried the vortex method a zillion times and it never works for me. All I get is an egg-drop soup :crying1

I put cling film into a coffee cup, spray with oil and cook in gently simmering water. Works for me.
That way, I can also do 10 poached eggs at a time, if necessary. (There are five of us - 2 eggs each!).

Shame I didn´t pay a visit to Aldi when I was recently in the UK, Gill. Those gadgets are right up my street!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox