Register

Foods that should be shelved

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Foods that should be shelved

Postby mark111757 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm

I am guilty of using pre cut diced onions. I won't lie. The garlic looked awful and the omelettes, no way in hell would I try them.

From Fridays guardian/G2 supplement.

IMG_20180316_154140_654.JPG
IMG_20180316_154140_654.JPG (116.65 KiB) Viewed 4050 times

Re: Foods that should be shelved

Postby Amyw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 pm

I think a lot of people look down their noses at pre prepared veg, however for people that are disabled, injured or the elderly, these must be a godsend. I think even if you were running late to go home and prepare dinner for friends , grabbing some pre prepared veg could save valuable minutes

Postby Renée » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 pm

I do buy McCains Jackets occasionally. I am not too worried that they haven't got a crispy skin, but they do have a baked flavour and can be finished off under a grill. I use them with a salmon fillet and tomatoes if I've been out all day or if I'm not feeling too well.

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:20 am

Some people do like dry omelettes (me included), so pancakes really, although I suspect the microwavable ones are bought by or for people who can't or don't handle hot pans or students in digs where only a microwave is allowed. Mind you, some proper chef recipes cook pancake egg to cut up for egg fried rice.

I imagine the point though was that more ready-prepared foods are acknowledged to be in a typical weekly shopping basket, which is used to measure price inflation over time. At one time, it was bread, milk, eggs so I'm surprised it's not now burger buns, fizzy drink and m/w omelettes.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:26 pm

I sometimes buy the pre-prepared packs of mixed veg. I live on my own so they allow me to have a variety of veg. without having to buy each kind separately, which invariably leads to some going off before I've eaten them all.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:05 pm

I didn't know you could get microwave omelettes.
Might just try them, when I'm wanting an eggy lunch at the studio.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:02 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I didn't know you could get microwave omelettes.
Might just try them, when I'm wanting an eggy lunch at the studio.

They are the horrible things they try to give you for breakfast on planes. Omelettes simply don't reheat successfully IMO

The other thing is that apart from the article I linked to above, which is mainly about disability, people run away with the idea that this is "western laziness" or "supermarket stupidity" but if you go to markets around the world people buy prepared veg and things like spring roll wrapoers already made,especially in SE Asia. I walked round markets in Burma and watched the market ladies reducing massive cauliflowers to heaps of tiny, evenly sized florets that were sold by the tin (about a cup measure). No waste, easy for a cook who had bern working all day

And I bet journalists who write these articles don't shell their own almonds, let alone grind them - where do you draw the line?

In my case I draw the line at canned Eezy Onions - recommended by several on thd BBC board. Not even cooked through, slimy, disgusting

Postby DEB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:04 pm

I remember with sadness the look of pride on my mothers face when after over 9 months of cymo she served her signature beef stew having used frozen chopped onions and a frozen stew pack of root veg. Just 2 month later the cancer was started to be terminal and another 2 months later she died.
While I agree that many people who buy these do so because of convince, people living on there own who can not use a whole swed or are time poor. I will always remember my mother delight of actually putting a meal on the table for her daughter, son in law and 2 granddaughters. So please do not be so quick to condom people who us such items.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:33 pm

A bittersweet memory for you, Deb. :newhuggy

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:47 pm

I draw the line at canned Eezy Onions

I tried them once, a tin that was yellow stickered. It made me think that conveniently prepared onions were a good idea for stews and sauces, so ever since I have kept slow-cooked chopped onions in the freezer, ready portioned in old takeaway containers.

I remember the furore over the blessed Delia's use of frozen mash. I often freeze leftover mash and can take advantage of the convenience. While I can grow the spuds and make the mash all well and good, when I can't why should it matter if I bought it? Why is frozen mash a different concept from frozen chips?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 pm

I bought some frozen mash from Morrison's

Four ingredients - potatoes, milk, butter, and salt

Excellent texture but I think my home made has slightly more flavour. A great standby, especially when cooking for one (portion size can be tricky)

To me the problem with Delia's recipe was that if you are going to make shepherd's pie with canned mince and frozen spud why bother? You can get really decent ones ready made

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:51 pm

I remember growing up that we never used the pre cut stuff. Don't think mum would have consider it or let it in the house.

I can totally agree ,as the king of stylee, would put it, rubbish knife skills. As I have said before I use the pre cut onion. You pay for the convenience. But cooking for one or if you are time pressed for cooking for a big family, it helps. I don't look down my nose at someone who does use stuff like that. I just try to balance out costs vs convenience.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Speaking of minced beef, from Walmart.com

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yoders-Hambu ... #read-more

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:10 pm

when cooking for one (portion size can be tricky)

Not 'arf. When I cooked for myself I used to do batches of four portions, with the intention of eating one and freezing three. Inevitably I would demolish the lot in two consecutive days. :D

I am truly rubbish at portion control. Mrs B is too polite to grumble about it, but has been a victim many times.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm

mark111757 wrote:Speaking of minced beef, from Walmart.com

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yoders-Hambu ... #read-more

Yeah, Westler's canned hamburgers are notorious here, as are the hot dogs. They used to be sold from illegal street carts late at night, in the 70s, probably only the fact they are canned, and therefore pretty much sterile saved us from mass food poisoning

There is in fact something to be saidfor late night kebabs, McDs and KFC sold from actual shops with food hygiene certificates :D

Postby mark111757 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Badger

Perhaps using the cheat stuff, it would give the person making it more confidence to do it on their own/from scratch.

I think queen delia made that point or tried to in the how to cheat at cooking series. And yes I did buy the cook book.

As I have said before, keep an eye on the price vs convenience

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Yes Mark, I hope some people are encouraged. I make almost all the bread we eat, not sure I would if we didn't have a bread maker.

Postby DEB » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi

These an article on this in today Sunday Times, here is the posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=3637&sid=5e883641df4aed02d179747fa19a790b#link in case anyone would like to read it.

Postby Renée » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi Deb, there was nothing there when I clicked on the link.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox