Register

Dansak.

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Dansak.

Postby DEB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Please can someone give me a tried and tested recipe for a Dansak pref prawn.

Thanking you

Diana

Re: Dansak.

Postby Amyw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm feeling guilty about not responding, as I did a project on dhansak a few years back.

I've always understood Cyrus Todiwala's Lamb Dhansak recipe to be the best/most authentic, but having made it (I've got his book) I don't really recommend it, as it is incredibly time consuming, and for me didn't quite live up to my expectation (7 out of 10). I also went to his restaurant Cafe Spice Namaste specifically to try the dhansak, but unfortunately it arrived cold, so I am none the wiser as to how it should taste.

That was all a good few years back, however his recipe is online as a pdf here, so you can get an idea of it:

https://zoroastriansnet.files.wordpress ... ansaak.pdf

Theoretically it is supposed to be lamb, but I have to confess I've always gone for chicken dhansak, not sure where prawn fits into the story.

Overall my dhansak project was a bit of a failure, as I never really found what I'd call the perfect recipe. And along the way I ate some pretty disgusting dhansaks, the very worst of which was the Tesco "Takeaway" counter's version, which I gave 1 out of 10.

So I am still looking for the perfect "easy" recipe...

Below: my homemade plateful of the Cyrus Todiwaler recipe, looks like mud!

Postby Mamta » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Following recipes on my website are from a Parsee friend of mine, so are genuine tasting Parsee recipes. She has been making it for years for all her Parsee friends, who love her Parsee cooking.
Dhansak Masala Mix
Chicken Dhansak, Quick Version
Lamb Dhansak
Vegetable Dhansak

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:00 pm

A couple of no-nos:

The dhansak recipe in "The Curry Secret" by Kris Dillon is OK but bland, I remember that one from first time around on the dhansak trail.

I made the dhansak recipe in this book last night, and it was hopeless:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox