Register

Beano Pie

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Beano Pie

Postby elderberry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:50 pm

In my part of the world, Brighton, there used to be a popular pie shop which sold a very popular pie called the Beano pie. I was never allowed one, because my dad thought steak n kidney was more healthy, but from what I can work out, it contained humble ingredients including baked beans (from a tin), minced beef in gravy and mashed potato, all enclosed in a shortcrust pastry. I was thinking of trying to do a 'posh' version, but I'd like to know a bit more about the popular version, and what made it so popular. Does anyone remember it?

Site Admin

Re: Beano Pie

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Was that prompted by this week's Masterchef quarter final, which featured pies?

Don't know about your beano pie, but right this moment I'm making myself a chicken pie, the stock I've made specially is fabulous.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm

I'd have thought it was probably a take on cartoon Desperate Dan's cow pie but stretching the meat ingredient with beans as times woz 'ard. DD was in the Dandy comic when kids read either the Dandy or Beano comic so the pie might of the era.

A posh version? What do you have in mind?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Meat, bean, poultry, vegetable, fish and sweet pies hail from the Egyptians, and come in un-countable varieties world wide .. They are quite common in South America, and are called Empanadas .. In Galicia, Northwestern Spain, La Tarta Gallega is renowned. It is a large tart filled with tuna, tomato, Green and Red Bell Peppers, and other savoury ingredients ..

Bean pies date back to the Egyptians and were replacements for meat in many Middle Eastern cultures .. The chick peas, being the oldest of beans and flour ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Saveur Magazine published a wonderful feature on British Meat Pies last year .. I had read it online ..

http://www.saveur.com

Have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby elderberry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 pm

jeral wrote:
A posh version? What do you have in mind?

Simply using higher-quality ingredients, but I'm mindful to try to stay true to whatever special qualities the 'humble' original had. Having never had one, and since the shop selling them has been gone nearly 50 years, I'm reliant on other's experiences of this fabled delicacy. Failing that, I'll simply make something similar and re-use the name, but I thought it was worth asking in case there was some special quality worth knowing about, like maybe the mince was in a cheap Bisto gravy or something.

Postby elderberry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Alexandria wrote: In Galicia, Northwestern Spain, La Tarta Gallega is renowned. It is a large tart filled with tuna, tomato, Green and Red Bell Peppers, and other savoury ingredients ..

I like the sound of that Alexandria, I might have a go at one of those too, thanks!
I've not yet been to NW Spain, but it's on my wishlist.

Postby elderberry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:32 pm

mark111757 wrote:Elderberry

From the land down under

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/2016/05/13/13/39/beano-pie

Well it shares the name, but sadly not the recipe, mate.

Postby elderberry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Was that prompted by this week's Masterchef quarter final, which featured pies?

I've not seen that yet, apart from Jay Rayner saying that a tart is a pie...

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:25 pm

elderberry wrote:... but I thought it was worth asking in case there was some special quality worth knowing about, like maybe the mince was in a cheap Bisto gravy or something.

I think caramel was an ingredient in tinned meats and pies presumably to give a richer taste but I don't really know what it meant at that time. Presumably basic treacle molasses of some sort.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Although I used to go to Brighton a lot, I never had the pies

I did find a picture of the pie shop though
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__10117.aspx

I would guess simply a northern style meat and tato pie with a good layer of beans, excess sauce drained, between the meat and tato?

The question is, layered or mashed potato? :o

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:56 pm

In the meantime, you'll have to make do with my Chicken, Bacon & Mushroom Pie!

Hot water crust pastry, a special treat.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Sakkarin,that looks good enough to eat! :)

And I'm not really a pie person

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:28 pm

Elderberry,

The actual name for the Galician Tart is: " Empanada Gallega " ..

If you would like our family recipe, just let me know ..

Gooduck with your Beano Pie .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 pm

:clap :clap :thumbsup :thumbsup

Sakkran,

The mushroom pie looks delighting ..

This would be gorgeous with Boletus ..

Which mushrooms did you employ here ?

Thanks in advance ..

Have a nice evening ..

Postby Renée » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:04 am

Sakkarin, your meal looks amazing! I would love that pie, although I rarely eat them. :clap :clap :clap

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Just ordinary mushrooms, I'm afraid Alexandria, it wasn't really a planned dish, I just made it with what was to hand :-(

There was a Masterchef contestant made a pie with Hot Water Crust the other day, I think that's what made me fancy some. The Masterchef contestant didn't really succeed, he only had 90 minutes for his dish, and the baking alone takes that! Add 2 hours for the stock and half an hour prep, I've just realised that pie must have taken the best part of 4 hours to make.

If you're in the mood, sometimes a pie really hits the spot, Renee/Sue!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 am

Sakkarin,

Interesting penning .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Surely surprising for a Master Chef show cooking ..

Yes, definitely it is time consuming ..

However, it is worth the time and effort without a doubt ..

Good idea for a cold weekend ..

Thanks for the feedback ..

Goodnight .. 12.45 am here already ..

Postby MariaK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:59 am

Empanada Gallega . that's what we had this evening, though a bastardised version as I used ready rolled puff pastry rather than the proper bready dough or flaky hot water pastry.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:18 am

I´d take issue with you on the South American "pies", Alexandria.
An empanada, be it from the Caribbean basin to the Pampas of Argentina, could never be described as a "pie" - any more than a borek, gyosa or samosa is a pie.
Empanadas are turnovers, or pasties in English, as far as I´m concerned. In Argentina and Chile, these are made with wheat flour,filled with meat (usually) and baked, whereas in Venezuela and Colombia ( and in Mexico), they`re made with maize and deep-fried.
A good old British pie, as I envisage it, involves an ovenproof dish with a saucy, meaty filling, COVERED with pastry and baked. Some like to put pastry on the top and on the bottom. Personally, I prefer it just on top.
I suppose the one exception might be the Mowbray Pork Pie - which is dry inside.
However, if you´re offering empanadas Gallegas, just send me the address and I´ll be there in five minutes!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox