Register

Anti Oxidants: Cooking for the Heart, Mediterranean Diet

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Anti Oxidants: Cooking for the Heart, Mediterranean Die

Postby Renée » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:09 pm

I was only sure of a couple of them, but there is more information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Pampy,

Cabbages

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Radishes ( including daikon and wasabi )

See Renée´s list as it is very thorough and complete ..

Have a lovely day ..
Last edited by Alexandria on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you very much for the link ..

Have a lovely Sunday ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Hmmm, I've just done a google on Dr Michael Greger, the person who's recommended the diet in that article. It appears that he is an American physician, who is also a vegan. Call me cynical but I can't help thinking that he has another agenda going on. :roll:

Thanks Renee, Pampy and Alexandria for the cruciferous explanation as well. I an only assume that green vegetables are things like spinach and rocket. I have to admit I've always called the brassicas greens, especially cabbage.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Petronius wrote:Brassicas, SS. To be honest most of the article confuses me. :?:

It sounds like we are all of the opinion that it's all a load of nutribollocks! :lol:

Postby Pampy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Alexandria wrote:Pampy,

Cabbages

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Radishes ( including daikon and wasabi )

See Renée´s list as it is very thorough and complete ..

Have a lovely day ..

Sorry - not sure what you are referring to.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:16 pm

This is a listen rather than a read. I find this programme very informative and interesting every week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csvscj

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:
Hmmm, I've just done a google on Dr Michael Greger, the person who's recommended the diet in that article. It appears that he is an American physician, who is also a vegan. Call me cynical but I can't help thinking that he has another agenda going on. :roll:

Thanks Renee, Pampy and Alexandria for the cruciferous explanation as well. I an only assume that green vegetables are things like spinach and rocket. I have to admit I've always called the brassicas greens, especially cabbage.

I didnt bother to google Dr Gregg, I thought he'd be one of that breed

That was kind of my point about cruciferae, I knew what they are having done a bit of biology and a fair bit gardening with my dad, who was a keen plantsman, but I don't think the Daily Mail can expect all of their readers to be fully aware of them!

And it doesn't make a rule you can folllow, as many cruciferae are greens, are you not allowed a second portion as part of your greens? I think rocket is cruciferous but spinach isn't

Agree Petronius, 100% nutribollocks

Postby Renée » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Thank you for the link, Joan. I shall make a note of the programme.

Postby Petronius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Agree Petronius, 100% nutribollocks

I'd love to claim credit for the word, 'nutribollocks', but it was stricklysalsaclare who came up with that gem.

This sentence in the article caught my eye,

"it's been convincingly argued that you could be an obese, diabetic, smoking couch potato and still not develop the disease — provided the cholesterol level in your blood is low enough."

I find that difficult to believe.

Greger mentions China, which has the highest incidence of stomach cancer in the world, so eat up your greens - no heart disease but good chance stomach cancer will get you.

"There have been studies of patients with advanced heart disease who switched to plant-based diets."

Two, as far as I can tell, (a cohort of 18, the other of 147 - no control groups) the restricted diet excluded; animal products, sugar, fructose, refined carbohydrates, fruit juices, syrups, molasses, nuts, oils and avocados – they continued with their medication. Later caffeine was excluded.

I wonder which of that lot improved their health.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Petronius wrote:
I'd love to claim credit for the word, 'nutribollocks', but it was stricklysalsaclare who came up with that gem.

This sentence in the article caught my eye,

"it's been convincingly argued that you could be an obese, diabetic, smoking couch potato and still not develop the disease — provided the cholesterol level in your blood is low enough."

I find that difficult to believe.

Greger mentions China, which has the highest incidence of stomach cancer in the world, so eat up your greens - no heart disease but good chance stomach cancer will get you.

"There have been studies of patients with advanced heart disease who switched to plant-based diets."

Two, as far as I can tell, (a cohort of 18, the other of 147 - no control groups) the restricted diet excluded; animal products, sugar, fructose, refined carbohydrates, fruit juices, syrups, molasses, nuts, oils and avocados – they continued with their medication. Later caffeine was excluded.

I wonder which of that lot improved their health.

Actually it was Anthony Warner aka Angry Chef who invented the word nutribollocks, as far as I know

It used to be Japan that had the highest incidence of stomach cancer in the world, (I thought it still was? Japan - Korea -China) ascribed partly to the very high nitrite and nitrate rich preserved foods in the tradional diet, as well as to a very high incidence of H. pylori, the bug that causes peptic ulcer. Not a nice way to go. I have worked a lot on peptic ulcer, and you always have to repeat the clinical studies in a Japanese population, as the results can be different.
In the wonderful Kurosawa film Mr Watanabe and the playground, Watanabe suffers from stomach cancer.

Postby scullion » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Petronius wrote:Greger mentions China, which has the highest incidence of stomach cancer in the world, so eat up your greens - no heart disease but good chance stomach cancer will get you.

there was something on the radio many moons ago that hinted that the incidence of chinese stomach cancer could be due to the burned on surface of the wok.

Postby Petronius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 pm

I’m wrong. :oops:

1 Korea, 2 Mongolia, 3 Japan, 4 Guatemala, 5 China.

Should’ve checked.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm

scullion wrote:
there was something on the radio many moons ago that hinted that the incidence of chinese stomach cancer could be due to the burned on surface of the wok.

So much for the breath of the wok then - would presumably be similar to the stuff found in excessive BBQ, the products of pyrolysis (chemicals formed at very high temperatures)

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:50 am

Stokey Sue,

Your chart post, merits excellence ..

However, on a personal note, that is just too too much food for me ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Thank you for posting ..

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:52 am

@ Joan,

Thank you very much ..

I am going to listen to it now ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Hope you find it as interesting as I did Alexandria. I listen to The Food Chain every week. I'm s ig fsn of much of BBC World Service output.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you very much for your link. I had listened to The Food Chain, BBC, twice, as it contains such an incredible depth of information.

The scam in regards to Apple and this wellness App creator in Australia ( Apple Cut All Ties with her ), is a fascinating account of uncountable faux information and lies to the public. Of course, now the Government of Australia, has all health food products with "warnngs on their labelling, that this ítem is unapproven medically" ..

The general population is very vunerable to " multi billionaire industry " of so called Miracle, Magical foods ..

There are help healthy and energising foods however, this does not combat one´s genetics unfortunately ..

Exemplary listening and I found it tremendously interesting ..

All my best for a lovely day ..

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:00 am

Any time I see a "wonder-diet" article, TV show, promotion, or whatever, I sort of think... Wow! That´s more or less what I´ve been eating all my life, so what´s the big deal?

Since my life has taken so many unusual turns, I´ve probably had little time to analize the chemistry of what I consume, but vegetables are definitely 75% of it. I may be the only person I know who will eat any vegetable placed in front of me.

Having said that, a Mediterranean diet has undoubtedly been a huge item in my eating habits. I think, if I had to name my favourite vegetables, peppers, aubergines, courgettes, onions, garlic, pulses and tomatoes would all be in the top ten, along with olives and olive oil, basil, oregano and parsley.

I´ve never considered, however, that these ingredients have magical properties - simply that they´re the most interesting to eat.

Postby Petronius » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:54 pm

With apologies for linking to the Daily Mail again, apparently what that Greger bloke said previously, isn't true, now there's a thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/art ... radox.html

I've heard of the French Paradox, but didn't realise we had one of our own. :D

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox