Register

Spicy Potato Chunks = Patatas Bravas With 2 Salsas

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Spicy Potato Chunks = Patatas Bravas With 2 Salsas

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:21 am

For me, if the potatoes aren't fried, they're disappointing!
Sometimes I make extra work for myself and parboil the potatoes before frying them. It's worth the effort, however.
Aioli, or allioli, needs to have loads of garlic in it. Ai = garlic, oli = oil.
Second point is that they must have chile in the sauce - that's why the potatoes are "bravas".
Anyone served me tomato ketchup with my patatas bravas, I think I'd probably tip it on the tablecloth. :o :lol: :lol:

Postby scullion » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Alexandria wrote:Scuillon,

Question: What did you ask for in Spanish ?

we asked for patatas bravas. i speak enough spanish to do that and to point out to the waiter that i didn't consider that to be patatas bravas. he said that's what the locals ate. i said i didn't think so (it wasn't a very full restaurant). we didn't leave a very good review
it was straight ketchup.

i know a little about salamanca - my daughter did her erasmus year there so we went a few times. lovely city.

the best chocolate a la taza we had there was served at a small cafe called the blue dolphin, on the corner of the road down to the law school, a short distance from the awful restaurant (called the red duck from what i remember - el pat rojo).

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Scullion,

I am sorry to hear about your awful experience in El Pato Rojo ..

Unfortunately, the waiter is not very well trained in Customer Service nor in the world of hospitality ..

Patatas fritas de Lay´s are a far cry from Patatas Bravas ..

I am pleased you enjoyed your trips none the less ..

Have a nice evening ..

Sakkarin,

Yes, one needs dried red chili pepper (guindillas ) and garlic too, in Salsa Brava and of course, Ali Oli requires quite a bit of fresh garlic ..

Salsa Brava: I am a bit stomach sensitive to garlic so I use only one clove in 1 sauce pot for me and 3 to 4 cloves in a 2nd sauce pot for the Brava ..

Ali Oli: l also have to do same for the Ali Oli bowls when preparing ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Thank you for the feedback Gentlemen .. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Karakoolaide,

My, my .. This is the 1st time I have ever heard such igornance coming from a waiter ..

I would of gone over to the Manager surely .. And not paid as it was not what was ordered ..

I would of also called the Police Department if I had to ..

1) Patatas Bravas are fried potatoes served with a chili pepper and smoked paprika thick salsa ..

2) Potato Chips and ketchup are not even on menus in Madrid or Barcelona or Bilbao or San Sebastian or any other city I have ever travelled to ..

I am surprised they are on the Menu in Salamanca, but it is a University City ..

Potato Chips are sometimes used at some bars, for tapas in place of bread sliced for canapés, for example with an anchovy or slice of Manchego or Russian Salad ..

This was " freaky " and definitely an un-suitable waiter ..

Have a nice day .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:46 pm

Alexandria:

I wasn't commenting on a personal experience, simply commenting on what happened to Scullion.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Karakoolaide,

Have a nice evening ..

Just thought it to be a bit weird ..

First time, I have ever heard of this happening in Spain ..

Nothing more ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox