Register

Dan Lepard´s Ginger & Raisin Hot Cross Buns

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Dan Lepard´s Ginger & Raisin Hot Cross Buns

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:45 pm

This recipe comes from Mumsnet, By Parents for Parents ..

I had chosen this recipe of Dan Lepard, as it is brilliant pairing ginger, dried currants and lemon zest ..

Here is the recipe I have in the oven now .. :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed

Hot cross buns by Dan Lepard

https://www.mumsnet.com/family-food/bak ... cross-buns

Have a lovely weekend .. :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Dan Lepard´s Ginger & Raisin Hot Cross Buns

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 pm

That looks good, the traditional version would use glace citrus peel (any mix of lemon, orange, and citron) not ginger; otherwise much the same

I probably won't use the ginger if I make some, as this is one thing I like 100% traditional

The mixed spice is (obviously) important to get the traditional flavour, similar to French quatre epices this looks like a good mix

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/mixed-spice-traditional-old-fashioned-english-pudding-spice-266688#activity-feed

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:41 pm

Thank you Stokey Sue ..

Yes, I had contacted a couple of British Expatriate clients of mine who were only more than glad to explain the mixed spice "combination " and it is the same as the link ..

Yes, I agree that I wanted to créate a traditional bun .. They shall be part of a small breakfast meeting tomorrow ..

Dough is rising and they shall go into the oven within a half hour or so ..

Thank you for the link .. :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:18 am

Morning Alexandria.
Hi Sue.
I made these at the time as part of Dan's bake-along in the morning. Absolutely lovely.
I infused camomile tea into mine according to my notes. But couldn't taste it so much either, according to my notes.

How did you get along with the bake?

These are how mine turned out: the crosses are just flour and water, but I mixed mine too thinly at the time.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:43 am

The Gilt Painter,

Wow. Thank you for posting your lovely Hot Cross Buns.

Mine came out, delighting wonderful ..

We had them at a Breakfast Office Meeting with one of our top British Expatriate Clients who collaborates with us for tours in Spain for University Students and Singles in various age ranges ..

They not only looked gorgeous but they tasted marvelously with the ginger glacé, dried red currants and the lemon zest ..

The art work on top of the buns, was simply terrific and quite original ..

Have a great weekend .. :clap :clap and thanks for the feedback and assistance ..

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 am

Nice one, and well done on the excellent bake.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Gilt the Painter,

Thank you for the lovely feedback ..

The recipe is exemplarily explained and so it was quite simple to follow ..

This is the key especially when trying a new dish or pastry .. :clap :thumbsup

I highly recommend this recipe as well ..

The ginger glacé and the lemon zest also gave the buns a gorgeous sublime fragrance ..

I made 12, and 12 were gone ( I only had one ! ) so, I guess they were a success story !

:wave :wave :thumbsup :thumbsup :clap :clap

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 pm

:clap :clap :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 pm

You are like me. Just the one!
When I make biscotti or other baked treats for Tony, I will have one (quality checking).

I'm not a huge cake pudding and biscuit fan anyway, so it's easy for me to eat them in small amounts.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Gill the Painter,

Yes, I am not particularly a fan of sweet profiles and tarts. I like a sublimely light touch of naturally sweet however, nothing excessive .. I cut down the sugar in all recipes ..

I love dates, figs, and other dried fruits but use much less than the majority of recipes call for ..

I am veered towards desserts with Espresso ! I love traditional Tiramisù ..

Yes, I am adventurous and like to play with traditional crepes, cookies and pies, when my grandsons are visiting ..

However, for the most part, my husband and I have our fave dessert course, which would be a wine and cheese pairing with fresh seasonal fruit ..
or just fresh fruit in season, which is very common here ..

Have a lovely day .. Just got back from La Mercat de La Boqueria to buy a few things for my Cannellones !! Saturday is always our Pasta Day ..

:clap :thumbsup :crossed :wino

Postby Petronius » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:03 pm

For years Alexandria I've made hot cross buns using a Dan Lepard recipe, so I'm intrigued at the differences in the MumsNet one.

Using plain flour is interesting and perhaps that's the reason he doesn't use a lot of yeast, he used to maintain extra yeast was needed to lift dried fruit, egg and so on. Also, different is the minimum knead. I've often used his 10/15 secs kneads every ten minutes or so but not just the once.

Interestingly, the current Waitrose magazine has a hot cross bun recipe with only one satchet of yeast.

Whilst you were doing yours, I was making a batch from a Rachael Allan recipe, using 15g of yeast.

Buns.jpg
Buns.jpg (451.52 KiB) Viewed 3016 times

At the moment I've lots in the freezer, so it'll be a little while before I have a go at yours. I don't bother with crosses except at Easter – my irreligious family insist! :roll:

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Petronious,

How gorgeous .. :clap :clap :thumbsup :thumbsup

I had chosen the easiest récipe (after short listing 5 from hundreds), and having made them for the 1st time, I wanted the simplest récipe possible ..

And I love ginger glacé, dried currants and lemon zest ..

So, they came out wonderfully and I served them at my office for a breakfast meeting and they were a huge success ..

I shall take a look at the recipe you mentioned on your post ..

Thank you for your feedback ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox