Register

Hot toddies - your cup of tea?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Hot toddies - your cup of tea?

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:46 pm

I bought some rum today. Not my usual tipple although it's not usually -5C at night either. I came across one recipe I hadn't expected - chocolate, peppermint, rum. They used white chocolate, melted, peppermint oil and rum of course. Might try it in bog standard cup of cocoa...

The idea of whisky instead (I have some ginger wine) was tempting but the rum won (tossed a coin).

Re: Hot toddies - your cup of tea?

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:23 am

Cocoa with rum :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:47 am

Dark and stormy for me if I'm offered rum. Dark rum (black is even better) over ice, ginger beer and a splash of fresh lime juice.
Or whisky mac if I'm offered whisky - whisky and Stones green ginger cordial; or whisky all in - hot water, fine sugar and fresh lemon juice.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 am

I like rum, my Dad and my uncles served in the Navy during the war (largely because Grandad was on the Western front in the first one and told them to avoid that sort of thing... :shock: ) so it was always in the house. Thus my preference is for dark rum served neat, usually a standard brand but I also like the strong ones such as Wood's for an occasional treat. Mrs B likes white rum and cola. Consequently we've usually got at least 3 bottles on the go.

I also love whisky, blends for mixing, malts for sipping. A milestone birthday last year yielded a cupboard full of malts. I like all styles with a particular love of smokey ones. I like whisky mac, tried to buy one in a pub on a very cold evening a couple of years ago. The barmaid hadn't got a clue what I was talking about. A bit like ordering a barley wine, it's only a certain demographic who do it and they are no longer the target of most pubs.

By contrast I'd struggle to produce a G&T at home and we might have the odd bottle of brandy somewhere. My nan used to have brandy in tea, for medicinal purposes, of course :D

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Jack Daniels for me - nothing with, but a glass!

It's certainly warmed me up the last two days.............................. :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm

We enjoy a large variety of Hot Toddies during the winter season ..

Some faves off top of thinking cap :

Mulled Red Wine with spices and Cinammon Bark & spices ..

French Calavados, Apple Cider with cinammon Bark & spices ..

Skye Island Scotch Classic Toddy ..

Havana Rum Mojito served Hot ..

:wino :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:15 pm

We both love rum, having lived in the Caribbean for 6 years. Really good, old amber or dark ones like Matusalem are est enjoyed as they come jus like a good cognac or calvados.

M loves whisky, especially Island single malts though he is also very fond of good bourbon. Neither of us is all that keen on mixers except tonic in gin, but we like classic cocktails - martini, bloody Mary.

I am rather strange in that there are vitually no hot drinks I like with or without alcohol. 2 very small espressos a day is my absolute lot. I never drink tea and anything with milk in it :vomit . I can't abide drinking soup from a mug, in fact I never drink anything from a mug :lol:

M can be persuaded to have a hot lemon and honey with a slug of whisky if he is feeling unwell.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:39 pm

hot lemon and honey with a slug of whisky if he is feeling unwell.

I always worked on the principle that toxicity is dependent upon dose per unit body mass - as I am considerably bigger than a virus, a good noggin of rum or whisky mac should kill them before it kills me. Not strictly supported by the evidence but I'm happy to believe it :D

On cocktails, I do love a Margarita but have never bought a bottle of tequila. I drink too much tea, a gallon a day is not unusual

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:03 pm

I like a whisky, honey and lemon hot toddy when I've got a sore throat or feel I'm going down with a cold.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:23 am

For a cocktail, I love a white russian.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 am

Not really for me, I'm not a spirit drinker. So definitely not hot.
Although I had a jack daniels and lemonade once, that was delicious. But I wouldn't drink it all night.

Little niece drinks Disaronno & coke.
I nearly gagged when I tried a sip ..... tastes like marzipan, yuk.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 am

I remember black russian, Pampy.
What's a white russian again?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Sheesh, it's so long since I encountered a Whisky Mac (sometime in the mid 70s?) I had to Google it to remind myself what it was!

However I could not resist the thought of cocoa with a dash of rum, so I treated myself last night.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:18 pm

It's vodka, coffee liquer and cream served with ice.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 am

Don't think I've ever tried a whisky mac. I've certainly had a barley wine .... that's strong stuff.

Thanks Pampy for the "recipe".

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 pm

As far as I recall, it was always Stones Ginger Wine that went with the whisky in a Whisky Mac, and that the only reason anyone ever bought Stones Ginger Wine was for making Whisky Macs!

I don't really like most spirits, so it never really appealed to me, other than ordering it to show how sophisticated I was as a teenager.

Barley Wine was really only something you drank for a bet, the alkie equivalent of ordering a Phall.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Pampy wrote:For a cocktail, I love a white russian.

That did make me snigger in a very childish way Pampy................. :stfu

Postby Pampy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:36 pm

I have to admit that I was thinking along the same lines too when I posted it. :lol:

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Sakkarin, you're right about the Phall, even more so with cider added, hic. (The equivalent of Guinness and champagne i.e. black velvet.) Dunno about Stone's though as Crabbie's is preferred by many in A Mac or on its own, although I've only seen Stone's in managed pubs.

NB: Coffee liqueur bargain: Kahlua (17% ABV) is on offer at Asda for £12/70cl (av. price about £16+). I only know this as my Xmas guests left a nearly full bottle they'd bought for tiramisu at £21(eek!) - which I've been guiltily working my way through this week so will buy a replacement quick.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:29 am

Why should a barley wine, which used to be typically 10% ABV, sold in 1/3 pint (roughly 190ml) nips, be any worse than a glass of grape based wine, typically 13% ABV now, and routinely sold in 250ml glasses? This is a foul calumny :D

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox