Register

March Long Bank Holiday Weekends ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: March Long Bank Holiday Weekends ?

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:How on earth do you get them so symmetrical?

It may seem anal, but I weigh the dough. I made another batch this morning, and weighing the dough was an automatic part of the process. Usually around 100g per bun, so today's dough weighed 480g, I made five 96g blobs. I also work them into a ball in the way Gill posted recently (as far as I recall), which stretches the outer "skin", and also makes them rise uniformly.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:25 am

Sounds like something I would post about shaping.
It's a great idea to weigh the dough. I do that too, especially with pitta breads, to keep them cooking at the same time.

I've weighed mine after too, a 100g dough became a 70g dinner roll:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 pm

As you would expect of a former professional laboratory scientist I weigh and measure virtually everything, and often stick an instant reading probe thermometer in it too! I nearly always use scales for portioning though I recently acquired a set of portion scoops and I use my cup measures for some things, I recently made 24 pancakes, each a quarter cup - not only were they uniform I find the dipper / saucepan shape easier to use than a ladle as you can scoop and turn it upside down in one smooth movement

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:06 pm

The recipe I had used from Dan Lepard, suggests that each ball of dough for each bun should be 100 grams, thus, I too weighed mine that I prepared for the 1st time on Friday ..

I prepared them for a meeting with British Expatriate Clients for a breakfast early this morning and I had made 12, and only had one ..

So quite a success story ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox