Register

Chicken With Cava & Blueberries

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Chicken With Cava & Blueberries

Postby Alexandria » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 pm

A tiny contemporary recipe with traditional touches ..

1 Small sustainable chicken ( butcher sliced into 4 parts )
3 small cloves of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of Spanish Bio Evoo
1 knob of French butter
240 Ml. Cava or Sparkling Wine of choice
240 Ml. Cream
1 / 4 teaspoon of Nutmeg
a box of fresh blueberries or Blueberry Marmalade of choice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1) Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade ..
2) Line a baking tray or earthenware with Oven Paper ..
3) Place the 4 pieces of chicken in a column and add the minced garlic that has been sautéed in Evoo, sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper & drizzle the melted butter on top of chicken (see step 4).
4) In a skillet, melt the butter with the Evoo and drizzle on top of the chicken ..
5) Roast the chicken approx. one half hour to 45 mins. and add the spices, salt to taste.
6) The sauce: reduce the Cava or Sparkling wine in a skillet and add the cream and the blue berries or the marmalade .. On a slow low flame, stir frequently the ingredients in a sauce pan (médium size ) until homogenuous .. and thick ..

Very lovely .. :thumbsup :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Chicken With Cava & Blueberries

Postby Renée » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:45 pm

What a delicious recipe, Alexandria and will be one to make when my man friend comes to stay at the beginning of April.

Thank you!

Postby mark111757 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:02 am

Reduce the cava to what.consistency?

50%?

Syrupy?

Thank you

Postby Alexandria » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 am

@ Renée,

My, what an honor !

Thank you Dear ..

It is absolutely sublime exquisiteness.

I have found that the sauce is thicker and better with Sustainable Marmalade verses the fresh fruit by itself.

I add some fresh blue berries into the Marmalade ..

Sounds like a wonderful plan Renée and have a lovely day .. :clap :clap :clap
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 am

@ Mark,

Good Morning ..

Not "syrupy " ..

Just to burn off the alcohol .. We call it " reduction " ..

You shall have the aromatic fragrance of the Cava or Sparkling Wine however, it shall not taste of alcohol ..

Subtle aromas and as I mentioned to Renée, the sauce is truly a gem with both fresh blue berries and sustainable blue berry marmalade or preserves ..

One can use another berry as well to sub blue berries, such as black berries or strawberries ..

Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Mark - I am positive that you, like everyone else here knows what a reduction is & need no explanation. :roll:

Personally I don't see the point of cooking with cava or any sparkling wine - what's the point? The bubbles evaporate with heat, & the flavour isn't prominent, so save it for putting in a glass & drinking :thumbsup

Use a more robust dry white instead.......

Postby Pampy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Agree about not using sparkling wine for cooking - especially if it's being used with something that has a strong or distinct flavour like orange/marmalade.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:03 am

Luscious & Pampy,

Firstly, to each his or her own .. We all have our own likes or dislikes ..

*** The recipe is made with blueberries not orange marmalade, Pampy ..

Barcelona is the world´s largest producer of Cava ( 35 km. west and north of Barcelona ) and henceforth, we are very much fans of our Barcelona local products, and it does provide a gorgeous aromatic yet light addition to the recipe with an equilibrium of acid and is quite unique in the recipe ..

However, if you prefer a still white wine, then this is your selection and your cash !!

Have a nice evening and weekend ahead ..

:wino

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:53 am

My wife loves Cava and always has a bottle in the fridge.
Once it´s opened, however, it needs to be drunk fairly quickly, or the fizz disappears.
Two or three days later, as there´s usually some left after a party, THAT is what I´d use to make the dish above. Lovely idea!

It would probably also work with Chicken Veronique.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:38 am

Karakoolaide,

Thank you ..

I am a big Cava fan too .. and especially Juve y Camps, one of the historic Cava producers dating to 1832 approximately ..

Good idea for leftover Cava ..

I do same ..

It is a lovely little dish ..

Have a great day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :wino :wino

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Two or three days later, as there´s usually some left after a party, THAT is what I´d use to make the dish above.

Precisely Clive! The recipe specifies Cava / sparkling wine which seems ridiculous to me!

Postby Amyw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Just out of interest , do you use a translating tool for your recipes or do you translate them yourself?

To clarify , how is the chicken cut into four parts and will cook for the same length of time . Cutting a chicken into four implies to me , two breasts and two legs , yet they would take very different times to cook ?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox