Register

Pancakes

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Pancakes

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 pm

It is Chandeleur today - Candlemass.

It is the day we traditionally make and eat pancakes in France - little thin crepes. For good fortune one is supposed to hold a Louis door in the palm of your right hand while tossing them - I have to make do with Dad't luck silver sixpence.

I made Crepes Suzette on Sunday but I made enough crepes to have some today. I'll fill them with a fruit compote and reheat quickly.

On the other hand I might leave the crepes in the freezer and make some American style blueberry pancakes with maple syrup.

Any particular or unusual pancake likes/recipes?

Re: Pancakes

Postby Renée » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm

This year Pancake Day takes place on Tuesday, February 13.

The name Shrove Tuesday comes from 'shrive', meaning absolution for sins by doing penance.

The day gets its name from the tradition of Christians trying to be 'shriven' before Lent. Christians would go to Confession, where they admit their sins to a priest and ask for absolution. A bell would be rung to call them to Confession, which was called the 'pancake bell'. It's still rung today.

I am very traditional. My pancakes are very thin and sprinkled with lemon and sugar. I once made some by filling with spiced apple purée and whipped cream with a sprinkling of cinnamon on top.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Renée & Joan,

In Spain, we eat Tortilla Española .. It is an 8 egg Spanish Omelette with stuffed with potatoes and onion on this holiday ..

We enjoy Crepes Suzette and one of my beautiful daughter in laws, has a tiny Creperie where she makes French Crepe Suzettes as part of her weekend Brunch Carte ..

Spain does not have a "pancake culture" ..

Enjoy ..

Have a fabulous weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:22 am

Mrs B turns from being a respectable and reasonable woman into a pancake monster around this time of year. I usually have to have two pans on the go to keep up with her. Whilst she has tolerated my savoury versions, and dabbled with chocolate spread or puréed chestnut, these days it's almost invariably lemon and sugar, unless she wants jam on it :D

Tuesday week we will have a light lunch then fill up with pancakes in the evening.

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Smoked salmon and spring onion and tsatsiki pancakes, with the salmon as is, or flash fried if not in the mood so to speak.

I do wonder if pancakes were invented deliberately to house Nutella ;) Restraint, I say, restraint!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm going to a bring-a-dish supper club on Shrove Tuesday

The brief is any kind of pancake shaped flat food, I'm going to have a go at the Staffordshire oatcake as I like them but have never made them

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/02/how-to-make-the-perfect-staffordshire-oatcakes

I'm a little stuck on filling, as I have to take it ready made so not a fry up!

As cheese is traditional I'm thing of heading NE for savoury cheese stottie filling

[url]https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2013/09/stotty-cakes-geordie-ploughmans-lunches-cheese-savoury-sandwich-filling-recipe.html[/url]

This links in as various forms of cheese and onion are strongly associated with Staffordshire in my childhood memories

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:47 pm

I was brought up on cheese savoury stotties Sue. Are you going to make your own stotties? If you are I can let you have Gran's recipe.

The filling is simply raw onion thinly sliced, Grated cheese, usually medium cheddar though actually whatever was around and the essential Heinz salad cream to hold it all together.

Sorry Sue, just realised you are going to fill the oatcakes with the cheese savoury - should work though. I can't open the link I'm afraid

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:55 pm

No stotties, going to eat the fillimg with the oatcakes

Can't get the link to work, but it is cheddar, onion, a little grated carrot and salad cream

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Had a look at that link, and there's a bit that the forum script thinks is rogue code, so overrides it.
Code: Select all
https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2013/09/stotty-cakes-geordie-ploughmans-lunches-cheese-savoury-sandwich-filling-recipe.html

The plain URL (automatically gives a link) gives this, so you can see the rogue bit is where the link splits.
http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2013/09/stotty-cakes-geordie-ploughmans-lunches-cheese-savoury-sandwich-filling-recipe.html

Anyone who wants to see the linked page, you'll hve to copy the bit in the "code" box and paste it into your browser header. Click the "select all" to select it.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Very excited for pancake day... I have been invited to a friends to do some washing (no washing machine at present) on the proviso I make pancakes for them and their 2 children. I have been making them every night after my one pot dinner on my catering hob and have froze them down. I have 32 made so far :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi WFF, nice to see you. How long have you been without cooking/ clothes washing facilities? I can only imagine how stressful that musr be.

Well done you for stock piling pancakes. hope they are enjoyed.

Busy week for us next week. Shrove Tuesday then Valentines Day, M's birthday on Friday, not to mention Chinese New Year. How to fit in all that food :lol: :lol:

Postby Renée » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi WFF! It's great to see you! What a mess you're in at the moment, but see that you're managing alright! I seem to remember that you were moving house. Have you moved yet?

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Hi WFF, nice to see you. How long have you been without cooking/ clothes washing facilities? I can only imagine how stressful that musr be.

Well done you for stock piling pancakes. hope they are enjoyed.

Busy week for us next week. Shrove Tuesday then Valentines Day, M's birthday on Friday, not to mention Chinese New Year. How to fit in all that food :lol: :lol:

Likewise, Joan.

Since before Xmas. We had our extension build and have been having the prep work done for our kitchen revamp. Luckily friends have been letting us do weekly washes in return for food, and our new neighbours have been godly in terms of looking after our dog for us when the work men have been in.

In terms of stress, yes it hasn't been great. If me and Tiff see this through not much else will rattle us I reckon :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Nice to see you WFF , bet you are really looking forward to that new kitchen! :wino :wino

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Renée wrote:Hi WFF! It's great to see you! What a mess you're in at the moment, but see that you're managing alright! I seem to remember that you were moving house. Have you moved yet?

Its great to be back actually, I feel like I have been completely cut off in the last few months.

Yes I moved last Summer, but all the major disruptive work started in December of all times. I hope we are only a couple weeks away now. Had the whole house re-plastered after discovering all the original plaster was blown :(

Postby Pampy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:01 pm

You have my deepest sympathies WFF - in 2013, I modernised my house from top to bottom, including new central heating, bathrooms, fitted wardrobes etc. I also replaced all carpets, curtains and furniture as well as having a completely new kitchen with new appliances, which needed heavy duty wiring installed. It took nearly a year to finally complete it all and by then, I was a basket case! I would never, EVER do that again while I was living in the property. However, I must say that when I look round my house now, I am mightily pleased with it!

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am

Pampy wrote:You have my deepest sympathies WFF - in 2013, I modernised my house from top to bottom, including new central heating, bathrooms, fitted wardrobes etc. I also replaced all carpets, curtains and furniture as well as having a completely new kitchen with new appliances, which needed heavy duty wiring installed. It took nearly a year to finally complete it all and by then, I was a basket case! I would never, EVER do that again while I was living in the property. However, I must say that when I look round my house now, I am mightily pleased with it!

Pampy - Seems you did exactly what we have done. Full rewire, brand new boiler and central heating system, had to have the roof rebuilt and re-roofed, new bathroom, full re-plaster, extension, all new flooring and a kitchen, also added a downstairs loo.

I basically ripped it back to joists and brick walls. :lol:

Can't wait to have the satisfaction of enjoying it (and paying off the credit cards :( )

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Happy return, WFF!!
You have obviously spent the last 3 months in Hell. :shock: :crying2 No proper kitchen, no roof, no heater - - aaarrggghhh!!
I am going to make pancakes today, because my son has nothing to eat for breakfast!!
I usually make a "lot" and then freeze them. 2 mins in the microwave and they`re ready to eat.

Postby Renée » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm

KK, my granddaughter always asked me to make pancakes with grated cheese in the middle which melted when I flipped one half over.

WF, of course! I've just remembered that you moved to Ramsbottom! :lol: I used to know it well, but moved away from that area.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 pm

I went for the oaty pancakes from the linked recipe, and they are pretty good. It's odd, they have that porridgey taste, so it's a porridge pancake.

If I'd had some cream, that would have been part of the accompaniment, maybe with golden syrup to match my old family porridge, (golden syrup and "top of the milk") however as it was what I had to hand, I went for lemon juice and caster sugar.

I made them last night, these two were the last scraps of the mix I saved for brekky.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox