Register

Tart using yufka pastry leaves

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Tart using yufka pastry leaves

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Saw this n today's Sunday express magazine

IMG_20180128_111110_206.JPG
IMG_20180128_111110_206.JPG (67.23 KiB) Viewed 3985 times

I was intrigued and even found a place here in the states that sells the pastry

http://www.bestturkishfood.com/en/pastry-leaves-4-pcs

Only annoying part was how deep a dish would work? Like A pie dish or a spring form pan?? Hmm........

Thanks and have a great weekend....

Re: Tart using yufka pastry leaves

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Coconut oil, almond milk and tofu?
Don't think I'll be making that and I think a middle eastern cook accustomed to working with yufka would have a conniption fit at the very thought....

Anything that trendy surely has to be made in a retro enamel pie dish, preferably a bit distressed, a la Jamie?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:would have a conniption fit at the very thought....

Now see - I had to look up that word conniption - never heard of it - but I do love a new word ( for me anyway!) conniption.......it rolls around the tongue!

Can't help with that tart - it doesn't appeal - but any other uses for almond milk? I bought some recently & haven't the foggiest of what I intended to do with it......... :roll:

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:21 pm

My friend uses almond milk in coffee. At the gym, in the restaurant, they put almond cream on top.

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:27 pm

I looked up Yufka, which was originally used for making Borek in Turkey. It might be similar to the borek pastry that Elisa kindly sent me a few years ago. It was pliable with a lacy look, but no holes in it.

http://www.khendo.com/FoodsofTurkey/Sho ... Borek.html

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:48 pm

Sue

Apologies for the confusion......I read down the article further and come to find that it is from a vegan cookbook from Edward Daniel....essence-the beginers guide to veganism.

That might explain those ingredients you pointed out.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:15 am

You have to be careful
There's yufka bread, a very thin flat bread used for wraps, and there's even thinner sac yufka, also cooked on a griddle, and mottled with spots of brown; that's the one used as a pastry but, like Tunisian brik, it could equally be described as a pancake. Most of what you get round here seems to be made in Germany, so labelled Teigblatter (dough sheets), a better description IMO

Sac should have a cedilla (so presumably pronounced satz?)

Postby mark111757 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:57 am

Sue

I was thinking of this

IMG_20180128_175308_782.JPG
IMG_20180128_175308_782.JPG (29.39 KiB) Viewed 3941 times

4 pieces per pack, as per the recipe

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:16 am

The size varies, but otherwise they are all the same as far as I know - bearing in mind I live in a Turkish area I could probably go out tomorrow and collect 10 different brands, but the one I showed is Baktat which is a common one and illustrates the terms sac yufka and Teigblatter

Although yours sounds Turkish, Mersin being
a Turkish town, the writing looks more like Armenian or ??? but I guess other countries in the area would use yufka too

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:39 am

Luscious,

When we were in Anatalya, Turkey, almonds were common and there is a traditional dish, called Almond Tarator ..

Sautéed Sea Bass or similar white fish, with Almond Tarator ..

Tarator is a creamy almond and garlic sauce ..

It is prepared with:

1 standard measuring cup of blanched almonds
1 standard measuring cup of bread crumbs
water ( approx. 1 / 2 cup standard measuring cup )
3 Tblsps. of fresh lemon juice
2 minced garlic cloves (small cloves)
1 / 2 Cup Evoo (extra virgin olive oil )

Finely grind the almonds and add the bread crumbs, half the water, the lemon juice and the garlic and with a stand up mixer, combine until homogenuous.
Then, add the Evoo and the rest of the water to create the sauce.

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:44 am

Alexandria, I have very happy memories of a holiday in Kalkan, Turkey, where we had the most beautifully fresh sea bass. We might have had that sauce with it, but I can't remember. Thank you for the recipe, which will be easy for me to make.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 am

Mark,

The Port of Call Kusadasi, Turkey is most known for its Lamb Börkler ..

These are savory pastries prepared with Turkish Yufka, which is wrapped around the meat, or vegetable filling and sautéed in Evoo or Baked in oven ..

One can substitute Greek Phyllo ..

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:52 am

Dear Renée,

The fabled ruins of ancient Ephesus located near the Port of Call Kusadasi and The Port of Call, Antalaya, with its bustling harbor and street vendors are truly memorable ..

The Almond Tarator is a lovely sauce to drizzle on one´s fish .. And the Nightengale Nest pastries were surely heavenly ..

The Istanbul Market was absolutely incredible !!

All my best for a lovely lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm more used to walnut tarator than almond, but tarator is good. Did a long trip through Turkey, and went all the way up the west coast by boat and road, taking in the ancient sites of Aspendos, Pergamon, Troy, and Ephesus as well as Gallipoli

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Sue,

Antalya is a large almond producer and henceforth, the Tarator is usually prepared with almonds in this region ..

I am sure it is also very tasty with walnuts too though I have never prepared it or had it ..

I have subbed " pistachios " however, and the fresh wild seabass, we had at home with Pistachio Tarator was sublime exquisiteness ..

Walnuts have a slightly stronger tasting profile so I believe they would pair better with a less delicate fish, a more oily fish such as cod fish or gilt bream daurade ..

Have a nice day ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox