Register

Michelin 'Assiette' restaurants

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Michelin 'Assiette' restaurants

Postby Binky » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:31 pm

In view of the thread in respect of Michelin Star restaurants, I wondered if posters were aware of the Micheline Plate (Assiette) venues?

We went to one earlier in the week. A good and unpretentious restaurant, serving good food and properly cooked/served. For anyone interested, it was The Three Acres in Shelley, Yorkshire.

Because it isn't a starred place, the venue is still affordable for a family wanting to celebrate birthdays etc.

I thought people might like to know that this category of restaurant exists, and you don't have to book months in advance!

Re: Michelin 'Assiette' restaurants

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:05 am

Binky

In a place like that how is the value for money??

Do you get an honest amount of food or after you are done, you need a donner kebob to hold you over??

Thanks....

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:31 am

It just shows how over focused we've all got on stars

Stars are supposed to be the rare exceptions, for very special places

I'd not heard of L'Assiette before but the Washington Post says
It’s a symbol that will indicate “restaurants where the inspectors have discovered quality food.” And from now on, you’ll see it next to any restaurant in the guide that isn’t a Bib Gourmand or a starred restaurant.

So it seems to me that any restaurant good enough to be listed in the red guide gets an Assiette? The guide has always been selective, it only lists places it considers good enough, not all that want to be listed. Mind you, I've been to some poor Michelin listed restos in France and Italy (and some worse hotels)

I've always found the Bib Gourmand - a picture of Bib[endum] the Michelin man, a good guide. It indicates a restaurant that provides really good food at a price that isn't excessive. The crossed knife and fork symbols, confusingly, indicate the quality of the restaurant apart from the food

Mark, it's in Yorkshire, I doubt they'd dare serve inadequate portions! :D

Postby Binky » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:54 am

The portions were on the larger side.

We all commented that if we'd known, we would have skipped starters.

A nice feature was that when the waiter took our plates away (with uneaten food, and he'd already asked if everything was to our liking) he put the leftovers in foil containers. We would not have thought of asking for this in a fine restaurant.

My brother-in-law said in a loud Yorkshire accent "That'll do fo' t' dog"

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:37 pm

I too had not heard of Assiette restaurants, and second the recommendation for Bib Gourmand. Two of my favourite places to eat have got Bibs. :thumbsup

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox