Register

Now THIS is a cake....

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Now THIS is a cake....

Postby mark111757 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 am

Re: Now THIS is a cake....

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 am

Ha ha ha.
And your guests will be talking about the Bologna cake for years to come.

Like my BIL who came back with a jumbo Christmas Log, effectively pastry stuffed with sausage meat.
He was asked to pop out and get some meat - as I'd only brought vegetarian things "what no meat!", and my sister was under the weather.

Have you made it, Mark.
Is it a retro classic?

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Mark & The Gil Painter,

Wow .. Exceptionally outstanding idea ..

This would be fabulous with subbing the Bologna for Iberian Acorn Fed Ham or Italian Proscuitto or even Bresaola (beef) ..

And I would also sub the processed cheeses for Créme Fraîche or Ricotta and maybe even combine a mixture with Brie or Provolone ( low melting point) ..

Great idea but the processed ingredients have too many additives for "my cup of tea" ..

I am going to give this a whirl, when I get home from the Gastro Eno Trade Fair, Madrid Fusion 2018, on the 26th ..

Thank you for posting Mark .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:51 pm

That's a very refined example, it actually looks worth eating :D

I rember "cakes" made by trimming the crusts off square sandwich loaf, slicing it lengthwise, and reassembling with the layers filled, tgen frosted with cream cheese.

I think mum and I actually tried it once, the end result looked very home made but mainly we just looked at the pictures in magazines

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:56 pm

:vomit

Postby mark111757 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Alexandria

Iberico ham here in the states, when you can find it, was around $100 for 450g. And honestly I don't want something that is going to take away from the flavour of the ham. For me, give me Bologna.

There are a couple of delis that sell Parma ham subs. For me, some lettuce and mayo on it. To me it's all about the meat.

Postby mark111757 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:42 pm

When I first watched the video I thought I would see Fannie craddock's face pop up. This so looks like something she would do.

Gill

Don't know if it is retro or not. I don't remember growing up. But we were not part of social circle that would know about such things. Lol

Have not tried it but really tempted!!!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 pm

mark111757 wrote:When I first watched the video I thought I would see Fannie craddock's face pop up. This so looks like something she would do !

She did, I think it was her version we tried :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 am

@ Mark,

There are many types and levels in the pricing of Iberian Hams and in Italy, the Proscuitto as well as Bresaola appellations ..

In Spain there are 4 main Designations of Origins:

1) Jabugo, Huelva, Andalusia
2) Dehuesa, Badajoz, Extremadura
3) Salamanca, Castilla Leon
4) Teruel, Aragón

I would suggest that you could take a look at: www.latienda.com or Amazon ..

For Salamanca Iberian thinly sliced ham I pay 1 Euro for 7 slices .. And we pair it with a Dry Sherry or Cava ..

For Dehuesa, Badajoz, my favorite, which I get from a distributor verses retail, sells it to me for 25 to 30 Euros for a kilo .. This is a special occasion product and we pair it with Champagne or Cava or Prosecco ..

:wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby mark111757 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:28 am

Alexandria

Thank you for the education on Iberian hams. Alot there I did not know. I am familiar with la tienda. I get their emails and for awhile I was getting their printed catalogues. I love chorizo. The sausage type. I've had the campforio many times and it has been consistently good.

Thank you for sharing!!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 am

@ Mark,

Thank you for the compliment .. Always a pleasantry ..

I am not sure where you are located in the Usa, however, if you are in Manhattan, there is a European Market (Charcuterie, cheeses and olives as well as Evoo are their specialties ) and it is in Greenwich Village, located on: Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue) and West 9th or West 10th street corner .. When walking north, on the right hand side of the Avenue ..

Check it out .. I do not recall the exact name of the European Market ( in name ) ..

Campforio is a know Brand for Charcuterie as well as El Pozo .. They are packaged ..

If you can get, " Navidul " ( 7 slices = 1 Euro ) Salamanca Iberian Ham, it is quite good and reasonably priced .. ( and thinly sliced like a sheet of paper .. And please do not sándwich the first seven slices ! )

Buy 2, and sándwich the 2nd package !!!

:thumbsup :thumbsup :wino :wino
Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox