Register

Grapefruit query

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Grapefruit query

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi all

Following one of those random discussions in work today, I have a query. Is there any truth in the claim that grapefruit can lower the PH value of urine in the body? Or does it just help dissolve kidney stones which I assume are very alkaline? My basic schoolgirl knowledge of chemistry makes me think the latter is the case. I have heard a few such claims on the internet which has raised my eyebrows somewhat. It would be much appreciated is one of you lovely folks will know the answer to this.

Many thanks, SSC

Re: Grapefruit query

Postby Renée » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 am

I found the following very long article interesting for my own use, Clare, due to having high uric acid levels and hopefully you might find the answer that you want. The article, which was published in the British Medical Journal goes back to about 2003!

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... allization

Re: Grapefruit query

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:48 am

Good call Renee
With the usual caveat that there were only 9 subjects, they were all female, and none were stone formers so it a pilot study really, not a definitive

SSC I think you might be slightly confusing two things
There's a load of idiocy from the extreme wellness brigade such as Goop! about needing to eat foods that change or maintain the pH of the entire body (essentially the pH of the blood plasma). This is complete nutribollocks. Your body will maintain its optimum pH unless it is very sick indeed whatever you eat.

One of the ways your body maintains its internal pH is by making the urine more or less acid or alkaline as needed, so the idea that if you eat certain foods they will change the pH of the urine is perfectly reasonable. It won't change the internal pH of the body at all, just the urine that is output from the kidneys. That anything as sharply acidic as grapefruit can alkalinise the urine is counter intuitive, but diets high in fruit have long been known to do this, the mechanism is quite complex and I've forgotten the detail :oops:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox