Register

Food stupidity runs rampant

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Food stupidity runs rampant

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Just when you thought it was safe.......

https://www.cookingpanda.com/story/tren ... tain-sugar

Re: Food stupidity runs rampant

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm

God give me strength!

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 pm

This is interesting to me in principle as I'm one of those who'd likes to know what's in a food product not via a list of unintelligible letters making up pseudo-chemical words.

Not so much the aspect of suing via class actions in the hope of being awarded huge dollar damages (or out of court settlement) but I suppose that is the American way so not for me to judge.

This link explains there is a genuine concern (aside from the ambiguous word "juice" applied to sugar), i.e. it's not just one dippy housewife:
https://legalnewsline.com/stories/51104 ... e-is-sugar

mark111757, maybe the stupidity is that of marketeers who think they can continue to fool people, especially where "healthy" is concerned. I guess not all of the people all of the time.

I remember there used to be numerous albeit accurate descriptions in the UK (probably still are) that could be given to sugar instead of "sugar", e.g. glucose, sucrose, fructose etc, i.e. it's still sugar, which is what the class actions are saying.

I'd be very shocked if the UK doesn't, sooner or later, adopt a similar labelling rule to the FDA's, but like theirs, our FSA's "ruling" will also probably be a voluntarily executed guideline.

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 pm

I noticed in the June follow-up to the Jelly Belly claim that the lawyers said it had indeed been noted that sugars was in the nutrition list but had been taken to assume that meant those naturally occurring in fruits.

I think in the UK, naturally occurring comes under "carbs, of which sugars..." so maybe US labelling is different.

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:59 pm

As far as soon far in the country, some of the talk is high fructose corn syrup versus cane sugar especially in fizzie drinks. Some will say that they affect the body differently. So will go so far as to say that the cane sugar tastes better than the fructose corn syrup.

For quite awhile the store I worked at carried Pepsi that had been bottled in Mexico where they still use cane sugar. They made a big deal about it as a selling point. Yeah it cost more but there are those that know what they want.....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sugar-high ... ur-health/

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Oh my giddy aunt - and other similar phrases come to mind after reading the article in the opening post!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 pm

One of the problems is terminology
In biochemistry, sugars are a whole group of simple carbohydrates (glucose, fructose, mannose, maltose, lactose, sucrose etc.) any of which can be referred to as "a sugar"

In everyday speech, "sugar" means sucrose, either cane or beet sugar, the white stuff in the grocery packages

There is evidence that glucose-fructose or corn syrup in large amounts is even worse for you than a similar amount (in terms of calories) of sucrose

Neither is really good for you when dissolved in carbonated water, but diets with a high glucose-fructose syrup content may tend to lead more certainly to obesity, though tgere is a counter argument that says people have got fatter since they started eating more corn syrup simply because they are eating more sugars even in savoury foods (I think this may be true)

Honey is very simikar to glucose fructose syrup but usually eaten in small amounts

Why anyone would not expect a sugar to be part of an energy sweet (which is what Jelly Belly Sport is in ordinary speech) is beyond me, in Britain she might be called a vexa tious litigant.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 am

When I am President of the World, I shall do as the Mikado was wont to do.

"My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time -
To let the punishment fit the crime -
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!"

I shall make the silly idiots eat jelly beans doused in habanero chile sauce for breakfast , lunch and dinner! :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:03 pm

May I join you as Pooh bah Clive? Or possibly Ko-ko ?

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:57 pm

Or even Yum Yum (it is a food board after all!).

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Think I'll stick to Katishu - in the dusk with the light behind me

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Just finished Reading the article ..

The last 2 lines are extraordinary ..

More or less, with so many starving people in the world, why bother arguing over jelly beans ?

Definitely an appropriate title: Food stupidy runs rampant ..

Thank you for posting Marc .. :shock:
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Petronius » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:33 pm

We sure had a giggle when seeing that piece as we did when a woman sued one of the coffee chains in the States because she'd burnt herself spilling hot coffee. The coffee was too darned hot!

In Boston USA, one of our party ordered soup, sent it back because it was just warm, sent it back a second time and the third time the chef brought it out because he wanted to see this 'crazy limey' eat the hot soup. He did, of course. That's their world.

I was brought up to believe honey was good for me, somehow I knew jelly beans contained sugar because our parents restricted the number of sweets we had. Or perhaps couldn't afford them or it was down to rationing.

There is evidence that glucose-fructose or corn syrup in large amounts is even worse for you than a similar amount (in terms of calories) of sucrose

Honey is very simikar to glucose fructose syrup but usually eaten in small amounts

Is my belief in the goodness of honey now to be shattered – who do I sue? Currently I have The Cough, hot lemon and honey certainly sooth my throat. By the way I don't feel unwell or ill, but in attempt to get better haven't had sugar products – chocolates, biscuits, cake, marmalade and jam for over a week but have the occasional piece of toast with thick honey, cos I like it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Honey is mainly glucose and fructose, other sugars, small amount of water, small amount of pollen which may or may not do you some good, but no particular reason why it should; most of the components are in such small amounts it's very unlikely to have any benefit

The nutritional advantage is mainly that because it has flavour as well as sweetness, you tend not to eat too much!

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/webprojects2001/loveridge/index-page3.html

Honey and lemon is demulcent however (a substance that relieves irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth by forming a protective film)
The acidity and the syrupy texture do that, it's mainly a mechanical thing, Which is why childrens cough syrups are sucrose syrup, bit of glucose to stop it setting, bit of citric acid,

Postby mark111757 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Talking of honey, i can remember going into the supermarket and being able to buy these. I wanna say it was supposed to help with hay fever, be at least according to Gran

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Natural-Raw ... comb&psc=1

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:46 am

...and talking of stupidity, how PC is this?
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... t-14120544

I wonder what paying taxes has to do with bangers and bacon...

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox