Register

From Japan

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

From Japan

Postby mark111757 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:39 pm

I got some Xmas gifts from this place

https://www.napajapan.com

Including Doritos chips in avocado and cream cheese. I am not a big big avocado fan but I liked these.

Well there is a new flavour

5a4e28e5597ed71abc6371e0.jpeg
5a4e28e5597ed71abc6371e0.jpeg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

I don't think I would have put parma ham and cream cheese together.

What do you wonderful folks think? I am going to get at least a couple of bags, share at least one!!

Site Admin

Re: From Japan

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Don't need to go to Japan for wacky snax! I was tempted to post the other day when I found MASSAMAN CURRY flavoured crisps on sale.

Another trip to Tesco today, and I've topped that, with Pastrami, Pickle and Mustard flavour crisps!

The Massaman Curry crisps were just a vaguely creamy currified flavour with no heat, the pastrami ones have a meaty flavour, with slight heat and a slightly mustardy undertone, and a smidgin of vinegar. There a hint of cheese in there too?!?

I was tempted to start a crisp flavour thread or spreadsheet, to make a complete list of all the absurdities, going back to the original hedgehog flavour crisps which started it all off.

However I found someone has already done all the donkeywork!

Nearly every crisp flavour ever made

Postby Renée » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 am

I was amazed at the enormous variety of flavours. I don't normally buy crisps, but am becoming slightly addicted to Tyrrel's Sweet Chilli & Red pepper crisps. The inclusion of star anise gives them a lovely flavour.

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:36 am

Crisp sandwiches anyone?

I came across one on Sakkarin's link, being chianti and olive - I can't imagine what they taste like together. I'll have to try a mouthful of the real thing to find out...

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 am

The list appears not to include Hedgehog who as far as I remember had 4 flavours

Original Hedgehog Flavour
Prickled Onion
Spiky Tomato
Grated Cheese

Not sure why I should remember them so clearly,but my work team were addicted (early 90s)

I quite like crisps to taste of fried potato, maybe I'm odd

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:55 am

Stokey Sue wrote:

I like my crisps salty - maybe due to very early memories of lovely fish and chips on the sea front bathed in the salty tang of sea air whilst on holiday, having expended much energy on building sand castles. Can you pin yours down to anything if you think about it?

Renée, on star anise, if you like it, you can sprinkle a spot of the ground sort onto some crisps and give the bag a shake (or put a star in for a while). I do that with a spot of chilli powder when crisps seem to be devoid of any flavour.

I've learned that if the big bags go soggy once opened, it works a treat to put a handful spread on kitchen paper (to absorb any moisture) in a microwave for about 10-15 secs.

Does anyone know if potato or maize exists in Japanese cooking?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 am

Stokey Sue wrote:

Morning Stokey Sue

Have you tried some of the brands you get in Polish shops? If you get brands like Crunchips, their flavours aren't quite as strong so that potato flavour comes through. I haven't tried the Lays brand that I've also seen in them, but I think they are an international version of Walkers. I would therefore imagine them being very similar to them taste-wise.

Postby Renée » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks very much for that tip, jeral!

I sometimes sprinkle a few plain crisps on top of a salad.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Have you tried some of the brands you get in Polish shops? If you get brands like Crunchips, their flavours aren't quite as strong so that potato flavour comes through.

I quite like the E European paprika crisps but the point is I don't usually buy flavoured crisps, plain are more inclined to taste of potato!
I used to like the ones. With the salt in a twist of blue paper, has to be a twist, not a frustrating little sachet :D

I haven't tried the Lays brand that I've also seen in them, but I think they are an international version of Walkers.

Yes, we got Lays in South Africa, just like Walkers, even the pack design is the same

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm

I don't eat crisps regularly but I am partial to Marmite flavoured ones. Fortunately they are unavailable here.

They started to sell Tyrells in our local supermarket but I thought they were awful, more hard than crisp.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:27 am

In some Spanish Bars, chips or potato chips are used in place of a canapé bread slice and are spread with Russian Potato, Tuna & Egg Salad or have a salty treat with an anchovy in Evoo ..

I am not a grand fan of chips ..

I prefer Patatas Bravas (cubed potatoes fried and served with a Smoked Paprika & Chili Pepper Sauce or Ali Oli ) ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox