Register

Any Xmas Gift, You Wish Not ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Any Xmas Gift, You Wish Not ?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately, when you are in a business, and clients send a gift thanking you for all your patronage and services during the year, they send an un-wanted present during the Christmas Season ..

When I state un-wanted, I mean something that you do not eat, or use ..

I received two baskets of assorted products which I personally do not care for or eat ..

So, I gave these baskets to my parents and inlaws !

I also received a slightly personalised gift of a brand name Perfume & Make up Manufacturer, which I do not use .. I passed this on to my two daughter in laws ..

Of course, I explained the source of the presents, as I always do ..

Speaking of family, we never give personalised wearables to each other .. We ask, what would you like or need .. This eliminates a non usable or a pass it on to someone else gift or thrown in a closet or wardrobe and never to be used item ..

Any experiences to share ?

Happy New Year and all our best from Barcelona .. Magic1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Any Xmas Gift, You Wish Not ?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:16 pm

For the first time in many years every single gift I eceived was delightful and very much appreciated. Not a single apron, tea towel or worst of all scented candle in sight.

I have been known to recycle unwanted gifts. Of course having made a careful note of the original giver :lol: :lol:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:57 pm

In the past I've been given wine and chocolates by colleagues that were not really to my taste but not in recent years thankfully.

For the last 4 years, Mr Strictly has been given a selection of Christmas treats from his workplace (his colleagues also get the same thing). Most of it has been fine but we did get a few things that we will eat but not really our thing, such as Ferrero Rocher chocolates. However, this year, it was all change, for the better! They all got a wonderful food hamper comprising of mainly artisanal rather than non-big branded goodies, Mr Strictly and I were delighted with it. The basket hamper is gorgeous too, although as we don't 'do' posh enough picnics it's not that much use to us. I have therefore hatched a plan to fill it with some Easter themed home-made goodies and either auction or raffle it off where I work, which is a charitable organisation. Our main charity day falls on 26th March, and this year it's just before Easter. One of my team-mates makes decorated celebration cakes. I also love baking so I would love it if all of our team could contribute something to it, even if it's neat handwriting for any labels! I just need to discuss this with my team-mates now!

Luckily, I am very happy with all my pressies, as I mentioned in the Big Feast thread.

Postby QinNortham » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Strictly, what a lovely idea with the hamper basket. Hope the "newish" job is going well, you certainly seem to have settled by the sound of it.

We don't really do presents although we might say "I wouldn't mind such & such" and we give each bits & bobs during the year, usually on impulse. Last year I bought Mr Q two life sized bronze hares! YS & his partner organised the most lovely delivery from a local deli - very naughty. They visited the shop when they were here in the summer and were very impressed - takes a lot for those 2 to be impressed!

Joan, I too have recycled in the past.

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 am

I usually give unwanted presents to a charity shop. This year, they will include the Planet Earth II book (already had it), some Sanctuary lotions and potions, a cat candle and some face creams.
QinNortham - are the hares that you bought for Mr Q made by Frith? If so, I think I know which you mean - they're beautiful.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:31 am

:thumbsup :thumbsup Joan Bunting,

I have been known to recycle unwanted gifts. Of course having made a careful note of the original giver :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Happy New Year .. :D :D
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby QinNortham » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:13 am

Pampy, no not Friths although I agree they are lovely. These boxing hares were made by a woman called Diane Grey, if you google her there is a picture of them. I am given understand these were the last 2 she intended to make because they were so difficult. Will admit they were eye wateringly expensive to the extent we have had to put them on our insurance!

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:31 pm

QinNortham - I googled Diane Grey but didn't find any pics. of the hares. Do you have a link? I very interested because my brother really likes this sort of thing and it could solve the usual birthday present problem.

Postby miss mouse » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Postby QinNortham » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Pampy, I'm not great at links on this machine. Try Diane Grey bronzes. When I googled there was very little info and no prices - I only know what I paid! When the shop I bought from opens after NY I will ask for more information.

Happy New Year :wino
Q
X

Well done Miss Mouse - thank you!

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks QinNortham and Miss Mouse. I had found the papiermache site but couldn't see a proper picture of the hares.
Happy New Year!
xx

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox