Register

New Year´s Resolutions: Do you make or not ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

New Year´s Resolutions: Do you make or not ?

Postby Alexandria » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 pm

I am the type of person that when I have something to solution, it does not matter what month or day it is, I look for the best solution and solve the issue ..

I have never made a New Year´s Resolution nor do I know anyone in Spain who has ever made one either ..

:balls

Happy New Year and have a healthy and successful one ahead ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: New Year´s Resolutions: Do you make or not ?

Postby jeral » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:59 am

Since a lot of people spend most of the year fire-fighting (as it's called when dealing with problems as they arise) I've never felt the need to add an extra string of stress Must Do over my head.

For those who do, genuinely well meant good luck with them.

I think that "things" will come together when it's "their time" so not because of a calendar date, but maybe Jan 1 resolutions plant seeds that germinate...

Postby Renée » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:14 pm

I am feeling so unfit at the moment that I am determined to eat healthier when I go back home. I had a virus or two before I came away, so let things slide, both eating-wise and exercising.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Renée,

I think it is vital to have a healthy, low fat, low sugar, nutritional diet regime during the week combined with a form of exercise based on food combining and what works for your individual body.

It is not always what you eat, however, the hour one eats ..

I eat a good breakfast, consisting predominately of a bio black bread from Switzerland or a whole meal wheat bread with a variety of bio flours, with a protein source and a fat source (cheese) and a fruit afterwards.

I burn burn burn proteins and cheese fat early in the morning ..

I have my double Espresso afterwards. I do not use sugar in coffee or tea .. Accustomed ..

Breakfast is approx 6am - 7am depending on whether it is a laboral day or a weekend ..

Lunch is always between 14.00 - 15.00 ..

In Spain, we have a coffee break hour at 11.00 or 11.30am .. I usually have hard boiled egg or tuna with roasted red pepper or a piece of cod fish with tomato or a few prawns ..

Lunch can range from a classic Spanish stew ( beans and veggies or beans and fish or a quick Paella Marinara ) or an Italian Pasta ( fresh ) and / or grilled chicken breasts and a salad.

Always fruit for dessert and I eat my green salad ( kress, rocket and radicchio ) with a light vinaigrette after my main course.

If eating out, I eat alot of Nigriri, Catalan and Regional Spanish Bean Stews and / or fresh grilled fish or mussels in dry white wine and a veggie or a salad ..

Evenings during week: Light .. Hummus, Mezze, Babagha Nuj or focaccia with Evoo and some fresh rosemary sprinkled or a light salad ..

I do not combine starches with proteins .. a rarity ..

But this works for me ..

Have a healthy, successful and happy New Year ahead.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Our resolution is always not to make a resolution. If you need to do something; eat better, do more excercise, loose weight, de-cluttter, read more books- whatever then why wait until January 1st??

My usual eating pattern has no room at all for fancy diets, excercise routines or anything. Regular meals, absolutely no between meals eating or snacking.

I've actually lost a bit of weight in the last month. The sight of all that food in the shops and market puts me off. It's the same if I am faced with a full plate of anything, Strange as I love good food and especially cooking it.

Anyway. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and a healthy, happy and peaceful 2018.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 pm

I used to keep a spreadsheet on my computer desktop called "Makeover 20xx", with all my resolutions, updating it each year. I gave up in the end because I never got round to fulfilling any of them. I just dug out "Makeover 2001", and realise most of my resolutions from seventeen years ago are still only wishful thinking!

There are two that I seem to have cracked to an extent. The 2001 resolutions included cutting down to 28 units of alcohol a week (the male "safe limit" then). It's currently under 14 a week, so that's resolved. It also says "lose weight", from 12st 5lbs at the time. I've been just under 12 stone for the last 10 years or so, even though I regularly make a pig of myself. I would still like to lose another stone though, so I can fit into all the nice shirts and trousers from back when I was skinnier. I have two brand new pairs of my very favourite jeans from the 90s, the original Wranglers, but they are 30 inch waist. If only I could shrink enough to fit back in them! I suspect that ain't gonna happen :-(

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Renée wrote:
I am feeling so unfit at the moment that I am determined to eat healthier when I go back home.

And you will when you're over the Crimbo excess - like all of us - so don't beat yourself up!

And certainly don't go for fanatical food combining - no joy there......!

NY Resolutions are just setting yourself up for failure - who needs it, I never make them :roll: EVER!

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:19 am

My only New Year's resolution is not to make a New Year's resolution.
If there is truly something you wish to do, which may (or may not) change your life: then do it. Don't wait for the 1st January!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:22 am

My mind is on a better Year to come.
But not with resolutions no. Never make them, never break them.

Postby Petronius » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:41 pm

Don't see the point.

If the shed needs sorting out (for example) I'll do it on a warm day, whenever, can't see the point of 'resolving' anything in the cold mid winter.

I've put on a couple of pounds over Christmas and at some point I'll move to no breakfasts for a couple of weeks and it'll be gone. Something I do regularly. No point in getting serious about it.

Postby Renée » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Alexandria, I found your post very interesting and noticed that your lightest meal was in the evening, which is the healthiest way to eat. This is something that I need to change! I think that your black bread must be rye bread, which I sometimes make and will get back to making when I return home. I have a good recipe which contains walnuts and parmesan which is a favourite. Fats are my downfall, because I use too much butter and oil when cooking. I go to the gym three or four times a week. Its my social life too, because I have made friends there.

I wish you all a very Happy & Healthy New Year!

:wino :wino

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:10 pm

There is a dictum - supposedly French - "Breakfast like a king, dine like a prince and sup like a pauper"

This is fine, but everyone's metabolism is different. I would love eat a royal breakfast - if someone else made it. However my motabolism these days is more suited to moving everything forward by one meal.

I enjoy a really good lunch, and now usually entertain a lunch time, especially in the cooler months. I can't eat too late so supper is usually early. I really don't do breakfast, although I make it for M and any visitors who happen to be around.

Renee I nearly always eat rye bread alternating with spelt - epautre here.

When i come to think of it, when I was a child I always had a "good" breakfast ie cooked. I came home from school for a substantial lunch, as did my father who worked 20 minutes by trolley bus away. I had tea when i came home from school and something very light before i went to bed

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 pm

@Renée,

Rye is sort of a lighter tone of wholemeal or wholewheat bread with caraway seeds, which I am very fond of as well. However, my breakfast bread or breakfast crisps are a sepia tone of dark brown.

It is from Switzerland and it is made with an array of assorted flours .. It is bio .. And low in carbs.

I am up in Cadaquès so I do not have have the Brand Name but I will look it up for you on my emails. I had sent it to a friend in Madrid ..

Great news that you go to the Gym .. Good for you ! I do to, when not travelling .. I also speed walk ..

Cutting fats: lemon, an acidic fruity White wine like a Chardonnay or similar, lots of wáter or just change the time you eat the fats, as you need to burn them. Go to the gym after the eating fats ..

I eat cheese as it is an excellent calcium source however, early in the morning which gives me an opportunity to burn the fat grams ..

@Joan Bunting,

Yes, I like this old proverb, Eat like a King in the morning, a prince during the afternoon and a pauper during the evening ! How true .. It works for me during the week ..

Weekends, are when, what, where I am and what is offered during my tourism engagements ..

Have a very healthy, successful and fulfilling New Year ahead Ladies ..

:limbobanana

Postby Renée » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you once again, Alexandria for your help. Yes, it makes sense to have fats in the morning before the gym. I do speed walking too, but just short bursts! I look forward to hearing more about your bread.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox