Register

Judiones on the soak this morning

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Judiones on the soak this morning

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:05 pm

@ The Gilt Painter,

Yes, I mentioned clams ..

The Asturian Classic of pochas ( a large white bean ) and clams is a traditional regional classic and can be prepared with Judiónes or white beans ( alubias) at any time of year ..

Delicious !

Merry Christmas .. :chrissytree1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:09 pm

@The Gilt Painter,

Wow .. Looks extraordinary ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Ta!
My husband is a big fan, so anything that pleases him I'll keep experimenting with.

soy, lemon, chilli ........ got it. Thanks for that Lush.
I've still got a big stash to use.
And they are fine in the freezer too, good news - I've just about got room.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Pour a bit of olive oil on them before freezing Grilly - they stay nice & separate on defrosting then - in fact if I know I'll use them for something spicy I'll use chilli oil - works a treat :thumbsup & permeates right thro'

No chance of any room in my freezers............!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Will do. xxx

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Hello all

Just reporting back to say that I served the seafood spaghetti as a soup in the end, and base was yesterday#s leftover pizza sauce and some veg stock, with the spag and seafood added. I accompanied it with some garlic ciabatta and it was delicious. Pud was panettone with a mixed festive fruit compote and yogurt.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:53 pm

last night we had torticas de bacalao - a Portuguese speciality. Little fritters of bacaloa with herbs, served cold. Lovely!
And with all that seafood floating around, we had Chilaquiles with Seafood for lunch.
Line a bowl with fried tortilla chips. Fill with cooked seafood and cover with a green salsa made with tomatillos. Add more chilpotle sauce if you are a true Mexican ( or chile-lover)!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Gill - I think the recipe I had was for Borlotti beans, in "Pasta e Fagioli".

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Me sir, me! I'm a chilli lover.

Strickly, what a lovely sounding seafood soup.
I'm ashamed to say, I only make a handful. Chicken, or mushroom. Or ribollita, or cream of tomato. Or caldo verde.
That's all really.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:27 pm

@KaradeKoolaide,

Yes, your Pasta e Fagioli was prepared with Bartoletti beans, not chick peas ..

Happy New Year and have a lovely time in Mexico. Safe travels ..

:wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:44 am

Yep, that's right, Alexandria.
Pasta e Fagioli. The fagioli, or beans, are Borlotti - some call them Cranberry beans; here in Mexico they call them frijoles pinto.
Not absolutely sure but I think the other dish with chickpeas ( Just as delish, I have to add!) is a classic Italian dish called " Tuoni e Lampo " ( Thunder and Lightning), made with the broken bits of pasta at the bottom of the sack.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:53 am

Gill:
I hope you're enjoying (or enjoyed) your judiones.
Boring but good: a salad with cooked judiones, chunks of salami or pieces of serrano ham, garlic, touch of hot pepper, olive oil, lime juice. Simple, tasty and very more-ish.
There's a Mexican soup made with judiones - but it's very similar to the Spanish version, except for the 43 jalapeno chiles :crying1 :lol:
But there's another which is more of a stew, made with beef, perfumed with marjoram, oregano, ancho chiles, poblano chiles, cinnamon - which might just be interesting!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 pm

@Karadekoolaide,

We call them Garbanzos in Spain .. Chick peas in English and Pasta e Fagioli, depending which part of Emilia Romagna one is from, one could find Chickpeas ( Ceci ) or Bartoletti ..

From what I recall back in the early 1980s, beans in The Spanish speaking Caribbean and South America, are called "Frijoles" ..

I was also in Mexico D.F. and of course, Cozumel, Cancun, Rivera de Maya and my favorite, Tullum and had a tour of the Mayan Pyramids and Mérida - Mexico .. ( early 1980s ) ..

Have a great trip and a very healthy & successful new year ..

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:23 am

Garbanzos in Spain, and garbanzos in Venezuela. In fact, I think they call them garbanzos all over South America.
Beans are another thing altogether! Most countries call them "frijoles"; but in Venezuela they're called 'caraotas" . Variety is the spice of life.
Yesterday I came across some beans called "Frijoles de Vaca". I'd never seen them before; black and white, like a black and white cow ( or a dalmatian). At first I thought they were black-eyed peas (or beans), but they're not. Just like a kidney bean, but black and white. GOT to have some before I leave!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox