Register

Please keep your eye out for this ...

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Please keep your eye out for this ...

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:36 pm

I broke one of my favourite "mise en place" containers the other day, one of the smaller glasses shown, which was sold as a tealight candle holder. I am now down to just one :-(, but they are my favourite receptacle for putting ingredients in when I am preparing food.

For comparison, the larger glass holder is from IKEA and they still sell them, but I can't remember where I got the smaller one from, and would dearly love to buy more, they were sold in packs of 4.

The small one holds exactly 1/4 of a cup and the larger 1/2 a cup, so they have a secondary use. Bottom pic shows them in use, in this case for Thai Chilli Chicken and Beans.

Re: Please keep your eye out for this ...

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:22 pm

Sakkarin,

Fabulous !!!

Just a thought off top of think tank:

I would check the following:

1) Pier 1 - Imports - Do not know if The U.K. has one ( we have one in Madrid ) ..
2) Globus - Zúrich ( website - phenomenal home and tableware departments )
3) Amazon Website
4) London Open Air Market - 2nd Hand Stalls or closest one near your home town
5) Zara Home - Not the clothing shop ( They have a website in English & Spanish ) ..

Good luck and have a wonderful weekend ..

:chrissytree1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:27 pm

If I buy ready-made desserts which come in small plastic pots, I save and use them for different ingredients when I'm cooking.
Also, I once attended a private wine tasting and the chap hosting it had loads of small plastic cups to put the various tasters in. I blagged about 50 of them and they lasted me years!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Nothing to do with food, but that reminds me of a company I used to work for as a Graphic Designer, before the days of computers and printers, and we did everything by hand.

There was a lot of cutting up and pasting of little bits of paper (hence the computer term "cut and paste"), which we used scaplels for. Most people used expensive Swann Morton blades and scalpels, but my company had a deal with a local hospital that we got all their used disposable scalpels. Cost zero.

I worked at several other places after that, and was foerever losing scalpels, the way keys disappear, and would buy new ones to replace the lost ones, which would eventually reappear. Consequently I ended up with dozens of scalpels. Here are a few I've still got for old times' sake! I still use them when "crafting", i.e. making handmade Chrissy and Birthday cards.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:03 am

Sakkarin
Look in the mustard aisle.
I brought back a stash of alsace mustards, giving you a free glass when you are finished with the product.

Your scalpels will clean up with a bit of engine degreaser.
Stinks like hell, so better to do it outside and have all your neighbours join in the smelly experience.

We have a local stationers, with replacement blades of that sort too. I have 2 types of scalpel.

I used to work at a printing press, and their designs were cut and paste and spray mounted manually.
Although they had a computer software to make the finished product, and written documents were produced with Starwriter - if you can remember that.

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Sakkarin, I found for you an equivalent votive glass in India (c.£10ish for 6 at current Rupees exchange rate), but "Sold out", Doh!
https://www.urbandazzle.com/astoria-clear-votive.html
It looks like Alibaba still supply them with candles, albeit wholesale >3,000 which should keep you going for a while ;) They supply things to independent high street pound shops so you might find them there.

I'm now down to two (originally 6) of the liqueur glasses I really like for ingredients but can't seem to find the same shape so I understand your irritation since anything would do I suppose. Good luck.

PS: If your scalpels are rusty, soak them in apple cider vinegar. A comparison test I found ages ago showed that came out top of the things tried.

Postby Pampy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:31 pm

If you want glass containers, both Aldi and Lidl sell single serve desserts in glass and they have the advantage of having plastic lids so you can keep any pesky flies off the contents.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:38 pm

For votives I'd look in Tiger Tiger or Hema, just fight your way through the teeny boppers, but definitely check out the desserts first

I use some glass ramekins so old they were bought with Green Shield stamps :)

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm

@Stokey Sue & @ Sakkarin,

Great idea, Tiger .. It slipped my mind .. :crossed

Glass votives could suit your need for culinary measuring.

Have a nice evening ..

Magic1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]..

I use some glass ramekins so old they were bought with Green Shield stamps :)

Sort of "snap": After research at the time, I learned that the fluted custard pots (flared ramekins) I bought last year from a charity shop and supplemented to a full set via an ebay purchase, were originally given away with petrol in the US donkey's years ago. I think Green Shield stamps were petrol too weren't they? Of course, built-in obsolescence hadn't been dreamed up then so even free things were built to last.

Here's a thought - maybe all sorts of things will now be sold in glass given plastic is decidedly out of favour. Apparently (news item yesterday) plastic particles are even in dust that's breathed in as well as that littering the oceans.

Postby Renée » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 am

What about Pyrex-type ramekins? I am sure that there are plenty more than these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duralex-5009ac ... 84A6N1SH7Z

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 am

Green Shield stamps were given away with petrol, but also in shops including Tesco

Mine are fluted heat resistant glass, in a smoky brown shade, cutting edge in 1976. They are half cup, 125 ml in size,made by Arcoroc, in fact these

But looking for these I discovered that Arc do little bowls specially for mise en place, as seen in a thousand cooking videos

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/search/?text=Arcoroc+chefs+glass+bowl

Postby Alexandria » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:01 am

@ Stokey Sue,

Those are real lovely.

I would like to get some too ..

Thanks for posting the link and photograph.

:chrissytree1

Postby Renée » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 am

Kitchencraft have glass mini-measures:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft- ... B00CCTLIQW

Postby Suelle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 am

I've got about a dozen of those ramekin dishes, Sue. I know that 8 of them were a wedding present in 1973, but I don't remember why or how I acquired more of them.

They are a little small for soufflés according to the quantities of modern recipes, but great for rich chocolate mousse.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:11 pm

1973? Beat me to it!

Yes the trouble with ramekins is they are never the right size, agree these are good for desserts though a bit small for souffles. I also have a huge one, either 9 or 10 inches to match but I have never risked a souffle in it

I have much smaller porcelain ramekins for individual portions of chicken liver pate etc.

I use the little Chinese saucers for dipping dim sum etc. for small amounts of measured ingredients, such as herbs and spices.

Postby Petronius » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 pm

It's always the way :roll: only last week I had a clear out of most of the empty pots - oven proof as well as plastic ones with lids - we've saved from a variety of edible products from the supermarkets!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:00 pm

I've got some of those ramekins too Sue. I used to be a hoarder of "useful" pots until M put his foot frimly down and made me get rid of most of them. A lot of foods come in glass or ceramic containers rather than plastic so the urge to hoard is always present. There are limits however.

Postby kavey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Nothing to do with food, but that reminds me of a company I used to work for as a Graphic Designer, before the days of computers and printers, and we did everything by hand.

There was a lot of cutting up and pasting of little bits of paper (hence the computer term "cut and paste"), which we used scaplels for. Most people used expensive Swann Morton blades and scalpels, but my company had a deal with a local hospital that we got all their used disposable scalpels. Cost zero.

I worked at several other places after that, and was foerever losing scalpels, the way keys disappear, and would buy new ones to replace the lost ones, which would eventually reappear. Consequently I ended up with dozens of scalpels. Here are a few I've still got for old times' sake! I still use them when "crafting", i.e. making handmade Chrissy and Birthday cards.

Those would be very handy for crafting for sure. Pete got me a single scalpel for use in pottery and I used it recently and oh my gosh, so much easier to slice through rolled slabs of clay! I suspect we'll be buying more but wonder if I can ask a local hospital for discarded ones? Probably not allowed to anymore though...

Postby kavey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Re glass votive candle holders, there are lots in approx the size available fairly cheaply on Amazon, here are 3 for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-Glass-Vo ... 06XFJ6X84/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-Glass-Ho ... 00NHIP6WY/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hosleys-Chunky ... 014I0N180/

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox