Register

Holidays are only 20 Days Away - All shopping Done yet ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Holidays are only 20 Days Away - All shopping Done yet ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:41 pm

I cooked my little gammon yesterday and had some with a jacket spud and coleslaw

I cooked the gammon in water with all the flavourings to make the stock, but did it in a very low oven so I could do some perfect jacket spuds with it, as I've recently decided that the slower the better for jackets, someone on the Food Programme said just cut a shallow line in the skin round the equator, rub with oil and salt and bake very slowly.

Then I glazed the gammon with Colman's mustard and marmalade

Tomorrow is the duck

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Ooooops.
Make a quiche? Salty carbonara stylee pasta.
And this looks good - with cranberry: http://myfoodbook.com.au/recipes/show/s ... ry-pockets

Today I'm wrapping gifts, cooking boxing day turkey crown for sliced meat (not a meal).
Making "simply nibbles" for tonight.
Before going to see Star Wars later. Too easy, what have I missed.

Ha Ha Gill, I'm feeling a bit that way too. I keep wondering if I've forgotten to do anything.

Thanks for the suggestions re the ham as well. I've just stashed some away in the freezer for a carbonara pasta which I can make with a duck egg for myself on NYE when Mr Strictly is working. I am also going to make a jellied ham and pheasant terrine this year and have some cranberry sauce which I needed for part of my breakfast tomorrow. I've decided to have porridge with leftover pear, apple and cranberry compote from tonight.

EDIT: Those ham and cranberry pockets look great, now I'm going to have to buy some puff pastry when we do our mid-Christmas shop, which will only be a little one to get the basics. That might do for one of my dinners when I'm working next Thursday or Friday.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Ooooops.
Make a quiche? Salty carbonara stylee pasta.
And this looks good - with cranberry: http://myfoodbook.com.au/recipes/show/s ... ry-pockets

Today I'm wrapping gifts, cooking boxing day turkey crown for sliced meat (not a meal).
Making "simply nibbles" for tonight.
Before going to see Star Wars later. Too easy, what have I missed.

Hi Gill

I made a slightly tweaked version of the above recipe in you kindly added last night, so I could have it for my packed lunch today. I added some pheasant as I had it spare and it was wonderful. the cranberry sauce I used really gave it a bit of oomph! Mine looked more like a Ginsters Cornish Pasty and I also added sliced leeks and mushrooms to it.

Postby mark111757 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Hey Sue

The late Justin Wilson, took sweet potatoes, and fried 3 or 4 slices of streaky bacon and took the drippings and rubbed it over the sweet potatoes and baked in a 350F oven for about an hour or they give when you push on them.

The bacon was also a great cooks perk.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox