Register

Christmas TV

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Christmas TV

Postby mark111757 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:02 pm

According to a couple of sources here is what is coming up....

The hairy bikers home for Christmas. 345pm. BBC 1. 19 epis

Saturday morning with James Martin. Itv, festive themed all month

Nigellas Christmas table.....bbc2......Dec 11.....800pm

Mary Berry christmas party :........12/18....830pm........bbc 1

Mary, Mel and sues big Xmas thank you..bbc 1.... 12/24.....7pm....

Food unwrapped Christmas special...... channel. 4....12/12......800pm

Jamie's Italian Christmas. ....... channel 4...12/19........tues

The sweet makers at Christmas........ bbc2.....9pm....Fri 12/15

12chefs of Christmas .....from 3pm...12/12.....food Network UK

Plus a bunch of classic stuff on good food channel

Enjoy and happy viewing!!!
Last edited by mark111757 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Christmas TV

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks for letting us know what foodie programmes are on, I'll probably watch most of them apart from Jamie Oliver and maybe James Martin. Depending on what other non-foodie programmes are on I might have to give the Hairy Bikers a miss, which is a shame because I do like them. I have less time to catch up with stuff now I'm working again.
Last edited by strictlysalsaclare on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks Mark.
I'll pass on Mary Mel and Sue.

James Martian might be light fodder whilst I'm doing stuff first thing.....

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:38 pm

I will definitely be watching the Nigella programme, and will get very cross if she doesn't decorate some baked goods with her very cute little plastic trees and deer. It's one of those silly things that has now become part of my own Christmas! However, a good brass band playing carols and other festive tunes gives me a warm fuzzy glow inside. As does The Portsmouth area's Rock Choir annual 'show' at Gunwharf Quay shopping centre. One of my friends is a member of that branch of said choir, takes part in it and always posts several video clips afterwards. One of which is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMV8j48zCk&t=30s

sorry about the recording starting a bit late

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Just a heads-up so you don't waste your time...
Turkey with Simon Reeve on BBC2 at 7.00pm is not a Christmas cookery programme.

I don't really enjoy any of those programmes listed, although I've watched most of them at some stage. They're all really "personality driven" programmes, and mostly personalities I don't actually find endearing.

I was trying to work out why I like the cookery programmes I DO enjoy. I think they fall into two categories:

1. Pure entertainment, where there is competition for a prize. This covers Masterchef and Bake-Off, although I got tired of Bake-off so no longer bother. Similarly there is wall-to-wall Masterchef on telly, what with all the US, Australian etc versions which seem to run for about 100 editions each. I had problems with presenters and formats, but am enjoying the current series of Masterchef Professional.

2. Focus on specific cuisines. I've countless series of South East Asian programmes on my Tivo! Maybe I feel that is educational rather than entertainment.

Postby Renée » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:14 pm

I've actually recorded Turkey with Simon Reeve and I'm not expecting any food! I might give most of them a miss, but am really enjoying Masterchef Professional. One programme that I find very interesting is Food Unwrapped.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Well, I watched Nigella's Christmas Table, 4 episodes of the Hairy Bikers, and the two Mary Berry programmes. Unfortunately, The Sweet Makers didn't end up on our catch up TV service so we'll have to watch that on the computer. I did enjoy what I saw. With the HB's I decided to only watch episodes where I really liked the guest and the sound of what they were cooking. Luckily I have their page on my Facebook newsfeed which kept me informed each day.

We also caught up with the first of the Christmas Bake Offs which we loved.

Postby mark111757 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Got thru the HBs, both Mary Berry's, tho I liked the thank you more.....Jamie's italian Xmas, nigellas Xmas, ....have Christmas bake off, alot of press we're not happy with Paul and all his DBL entendres. You need to be able to pull it off. My impression was he didn't

Thought Dr who was very good. Nice how they mixed the first doc with capaldi

Call the midwife was extraordinary. Brought a tear to my eye and for being an hour and 20 mins, it did not drag at all.

Would have been nice to see Simon Hopkinson again.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox