Register

mince pies

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: mince pies

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 am

I can try for you, Marja.
It's a deli next door to my studio. The pastry is akin to custard, but in a breadly way.
At the most I can take a photo so you know what you are dealing with.

I'll get the polish name anyway which will help.

Postby MariaK » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am

Gill,

That would be most kind. I just can't think what they could be from your description, so name and photo would be great. I thought maybe your Polish studio-sharer or one of her friends had made them. A Polish shop bang next door - lucky you.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Marja
Not sure I understand you, as the circle cut into wedges then rolled round the filling into mini croissants is exactly what Ina does. It's in the video version of the recipe

I was really just suggesting that as rugelach filling is a generally similar flavour to Christmas mincemeat it's not surprising someone would try the same pastry for a mince pie. Might give it a go

Postby MariaK » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:43 pm

Sue,

Sorry, obviously didn't explain properly. I'll try again.

Ina Garten mehod:

1 Roll the pastry into a circle

2 Spread the jam and filling all over the circle

3 Cut into triangles and roll from base up

Result - as seen on the photo: the filling oozes out

Polish method

1 Same as above - roll pastry into circle

2 Cut into triangles

3 Place filling at base at base and roll OR spread it up towards the top - but no further than half way and leaving a clear margin of pastry all the way round

Result : no leaks

These are crescents made with a yeast dough - but the filling / rolling method is the same

http://pomaranczowykotwkuchni.blogspot. ... iasto.html

Admitedly Polish fillings tend to be less runny - in this case plum butter (powidla) or, especially at this time of year, poppy seed though they'd generally use a yeast dough for those.

Hope this is clear

ATB

Marja

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:26 pm

This is them, Marja.
I asked the name, and they called them pastry with "cottage" cheese. They didn't know a name.

Like an iced finger similar to your link I see.
Thin icing, cream cheese, and lemon.

More a brioche. Do you recognise them as I'd love to be able to make them.

Postby MariaK » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:they called them pastry with "cottage" cheese. They didn't know a name.

Like an iced finger similar to your link I see.
Thin icing, cream cheese, and lemon.

Thanks for the info and photo, Gill.

One more question : is the cheese just in the dough or is there a cheese filling? Both exist.

I suspect the cheese in the yeast dough as the ones with a cheese filling are usually round, but it could be someone being creative.

I'll do a Google and see what I come up with. These look very light and airy. It may take a day or two as I've got some work I really must finish. Might even make some myself for Monsieur's breakfast when he gets - he's in Cadiz giving a lecture at this very moment.

All the best,

Marja

Postby mark111757 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Got an email from Amazon and they had listed different brands of mincemeat. Anyone want to offer a yeah or neigh to any of these, feel free

Chivers mincemeat. 420g

Robertson's traditional. 411g

Nonesuch mincemeat, classic original. 27 ounce bottle

Scott's cakes one pound mincemeat filling

Nonesuch condensed mincemeat 9 ounce pkg (what mum used growing up)

Thursday cottage mincemeat. 312g

Crosse and Blackwell plain mincemeat. 29 ounce bottle

Neigh to Robertsons,sugar made it far too grainy

Yeah to nonesuch condensed mincemeat. In the house at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Dad always seemed to enjoy it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Both, Marja. The cheese is in the dough and the filling.
It's sweetened in the filling.

We just spent a month at Cadiz. And adored it. I'm curious what the lecture is about now.

Can't help with the mincemeat I'm afraid Mark.

Over to others ..................

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Don't know Nonsuch Mark, but Thursday Cottage is usually good stuff (their gooseberry jam is delicious)

Chivers and Robertson's are ordinary grocery store brands, I have been known to spike Robertson's with orange zest and alcohol, and proceed very quietly... :D it's no tbad, but Id expect Thursday Cottage to have the edge

Postby QinNortham » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Mince pie lovers or not, please raise something to Maud of the wonderful Viennese Topping who died this morning at 07.30. She was 91. Her daughter & son in law had been in Lanzarote but got a call yesterday and managed to get a flight back and J was with her Mum all night.

RIP Maud
XXX
Q

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Bye bye, Maud.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Sorry to hear the news about Maud, although from the sounds of it, it's a release from her suffering. My mum and nanna-in law both had the same illness and it is a heartbreaking one.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:11 pm

I will most certainly be raising a glass to Maud later on.

So lovely for her daughter & her mother to have been together at the end - so important for both of them.

I shall remember her everytime I make the Viennese topping - thank you for sharing that Q.

To Maud........RIP.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:19 pm

To Maud, RIP

Postby QinNortham » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Dear All

Many thanks. Yes it was in that hackneyed term "a blessed relief" for all concerned and so good J could be with her even though Maud wouldn't have known if it was Father Christmas holding her hand.

Q
X

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Q - I do know that people who seem 'out of it' actually do know when their loved ones are around.

Postby QinNortham » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Lush, thank you for that, you are quite right and J would never have forgiven herself for not getting back to be with Maud.

Q
X

Postby Pampy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Lush - that's very true. At the end of her life, my Mum was in a hospice and in a coma. My sister and I lived at the hospice while she was there but my brother lived on the other side of the country. My brother and his wife came over to visit Mum about a week after she'd slipped in unconsciousness. After spending time alone with her, and about an hour after he'd arrived, Mum died. I know that she'd waited for us all to be together before she passed away.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 pm

:newhuggy Pampy.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Love to Pampy too, even if it did happen a while back xxx

On a more festive note, we tried this year's batch of mincemeat for the first time last night. I added a small amount to an apple crumble to make it more festive and by golly it has a huge flavour. I may have surpassed myself this year and am going to have to make it the same way from now on! Now I can't wait to make the mince pies next weekend. :yum.

I ate my first mince pie of the season today. One of my senior colleagues brought in a box of Tesco's Finest ones. I have to say I found them a rather disappointing - a bit too sweet, overwhelmingly nutmeggy and hardly any boozy flavour, despite them containing some branded Cognac. I reckon it must have been one bottle per vat of the rest of the ingredients. The pastry wasn't up to much either, it was a bit on the powdery side. They did look pretty though, with their snowflake pattern on top

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox