Register

slow cooked lamb

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

slow cooked lamb

Postby foodie-gill » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:10 pm

HI ALL, Just 3 hours in to cooking my slow roasted lamb and it already smells divine. Normally do some nice roast pots to go with it ....sugguestions for different dish would be great. Good Luck to the new board. Foodie-gill :D

Re: slow cooked lamb

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi Foodie-Gill!
I cooked some Greek style meatballs today, with minced lamb, fetta and pinenuts, cinamon, allspice etc - With them I served a delicious barley, pomegranate and parsley salad - just cook the barley in water for about half an hour - then drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and give it a stir. Then when cold, add pomegranate, lots of chopped parsley and a little balsamic vinaigrette - give it a toss, and Bob's your uncle! Everyone loved it!

I'm sure your lamb will be delicious
HH

Postby foodie-gill » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:48 pm

thanks for that Hungryhousewife, will give it a go. Lamb smells soooooooo GOOD :lol:

Postby cherrytree » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm going to do a recipe from the current Waitrose magazine for a slow roast lamb with asparagus pilaff rice. I needed to buy some sumac which I've never tried before. The recipe looks gorgeous so I shall report back after Sunday's meal.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:03 pm

I only tried sumac for the first time relatively recently, and was not really knocked out, it was sort of vaguely like powdered tamarind, but not so tart. I guess if anyone reads this and suggests a recipe that they are confident it really shines in, I will be happy to give it another chance! I also have a bottle of that pomegranate molasses gathering dust in the Mediterranean section of my storecupboard :-(

Postby denada » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Sakkarin. this recipe is worth trying, the pomegranate molasses are good in it and last time I made it, I sprinkled over some sumac. I also sprinkle sumac over hummas and baba ghanoush. I think it has a slight lemony flavour. I got to like it when we lived in UAE.
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/war ... ranate-178

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi Sakkarin!
I sort of agree with you about Sumac, although I find when I use quite a lot of it it packs a bit more flavour - but you are right, it is quite like a slightly limp version of tamarind - which I adore!

Lots of recipes in Ottolenghi and in Selvana Rowe's book - Orient Express - infact I think she has a whole chapter dedicated to it.

I quite often sprinkle quite a wodge of it on roast chicken. It does intensify slightly when roasted. Slightly a case of 'the Emperor's new cloths' possibly??
HH

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox