Register

Croquembouche

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Croquembouche

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:My ice cream scoop would make nice big choux buns, but I'd need a smaller one for aperitif sized gougeres

This cookie scoop comes in sizes S, M or L:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips ... CCY1E?th=1

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:59 pm

I use a disposable piping bag with the end cut off to the appropriate size. Gruyere is good in cheesy ones with prerhaps a little Parmesan too

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:43 pm

If piping, with something like 75 even ones, there are baking sheets premarked with circles, although a pencil drawn around an egg cup on the underside of see-through baking parchment sheets would copy that. I think the upper ones are easier to assemble if slightly smaller.

I've only made choux piped as strips for eclairs which didn't need to be precise so I bow to superior knowledge of course.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Jeral
When I get a round tuit I'll go to Nisbets catering supply shop and buy a set of good portion scoops in exactly the sizes I want, the standard is that each scoop has a number which tells you how many portions you get out of a US quart / litre, so you can actually deduce the volume if you need to, I don't entirely trust other people's estimates of S, M, L

The spring loaded Vogue portioners

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/search/?text=Vogue+portioner

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox