Register

Digital Kitchen Scales

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Digital Kitchen Scales

Postby Suffs » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 pm

They've arrived ... look just the ticket ... thanks Sue and everyone :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:29 am

Are you still in love with them, Suffs.

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 pm

So far so good Gill :D :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:03 pm

I've just got my new scales through the post, the same as I had last time, but now in white (old one was black) to match my countertop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-Arc-Dig ... hen+scales

On the box, it says "15 year guarantee".

Oh bum, bum, bum, the old one went in the bin yesterday, and now presumably squished at the waste collection centre :-(

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Flip it Saks - you got a better colour for your kitchen.....!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Yes, "flip it", that's close to what I said...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 pm

I am very careful not to match things to my countertop in case I can't find them!
Hope they really last 15 years this time

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Yes, "flip it", that's close to what I said...

:lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:41 pm

If anyone else is scaleless, in Asda earlier I saw the scales I bought on sale at £6, and another Salter set that look very similar to Stokey's at a tenner.

https://direct.asda.com/george/george-h ... lt,pd.html

I was tempted to buy a spare set, but it did not make any logical sense. Why buy a spare set when they are guaranteed for life?

EDIT: P.S.: Not quite like mine, all the scales I saw at both prices were black. Mine is white.

Incoidentally on a cookery programme recently inside a professional kitchen, they had their scales covered in clingfilm. That's what I've resorted to, as all my previous scales have been killed by water getting into them. Doen't look very attractive on the worktop though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Interesting
I think the Salter ones are quite a bit smaller than the Soehnle, and Asda describe them as plastic, the Soehnle are a heavy chunk of glass of

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Interesting
I think the Salter ones are quite a bit smaller than the Soehnle, and Asda describe them as plastic, the Soehnle are a heavy chunk of glass of

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:07 pm

The one I have is plastic through and through. The other more expensive one there looked like this as far as I recall, involving a glass platform. (I only got a fleeting glimpse of it, I was in a hurry).

http://www.salterhousewares.co.uk/salte ... AQQAvD_BwE

Postby jeral » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:58 pm

My flat digital scales conked out on Christmas day, but luckily I'd kept my old bouncy analogue one. Reviews said that the button batteries went really quickly and I'm glad to say it was just the batteries as OK now. I notice the batteries are sold in packs of eight so that could be a clue. (It seems they didn't get wet and conk out for good.)

Lots of things have conked out this week, a couple important things, but also four different types of light bulb in one week, I mean when did any home owner ever have four different types of bulb go almost simultaneously? The most utilised Christmas decoration has been a step ladder - maybe it's feeling left out and I should hang tinsel on it if it wants to say Hi :wave

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:45 pm

Those light bulbs do seem to have some sort of agreement between themselves to all expire at the same time. Right that moment I'm in between episodes, so haven't had a blow-out for quite a while. I do get confused when buying replacements though, as they keep moving the goalposts, and I find they aren't as bright as the old incandescent bulbs, so usually have to get an "in-between" size (i.e the 60w equivalent is too dim, the 100w equivalent is too bright, so I need the 75 watt one), which is invariably out of stock. At the moment they seem to be pushing LED ones, but I don't like the light they give. I find it strangest with LED road lights, which seem to have a nasty bright glare around the actual bulb, but the light somehow doesn't reach the street the way the normal bulbs do, so the street is still in semi-darkness, but with all these irritating bright glares on high.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 pm

I have Phillips dimmable LEDs in the living room

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KI4DTRI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expensive to buy, but they do last well (never blown an LED yet),the light is really good, and my room is (intentionally) overlit with a total of 8 x 8 watt bulbs - that's 64 watts replacing 8 x 60 watt (480 watts) so definite saving on electricity. I have four double wall lights, hence so many bulbs!

But what they don't tell you is that you need a special dimmer for LEDs. The good news is that they aren't expensive and unlike conventional dimmers they are silent

I can get the light to vary from candlelight to OMG,so ideal for me

Postby jeral » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:55 pm

These people are good to see what's around as things move on, as they sell almost every conceivable type:
https://www.bltdirect.com/energy-saving ... 6&count=77
For 15W bulbs, enter "75 Watt" into the Search box (or scroll down the left hand menu list).

I buy from them as a good one-stop shop to stock up on different ones I use. noting plus VAT on top and P&P. There's usually a 5% discount code on the Net that will apply.

Size is a big factor with energy-saving bulbs so have to make sure they'll fit. My wall light shades will take only small ones, so I also have another three lights (ceiling daylight bulb, table lamp, standard lamp with very bright halogen bulbs) to use as meets the need.
---

Our street lights are pointless. The old ones were replaced by Skanska, which has a contract for a lot of London apparently. The lights are higher, farther apart, and shed virtually no light on the streets. Decidedly a booby prize for whoever in their wisdom specified those.

Postby smitch » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:04 am

We have the Philips Hue smart light bulbs in some of our rooms. The system is pretty expensive but you can choose the warmth and brightness of your lights. Can even change the colour if you want to, all controlled by an app. My husband's idea but I like it now :lol: Ikea sell some compatible bulbs but they don't do the same range of colours and warmths. The starter pack is often on offer at Amazon.

Postby jeral » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:05 am

@ Stokey Sue, I've always had dimmer switches - until the new bulbs took over *sobs* but perhaps it's time I revisited... I didn't know the low energy bulbs needed a special dimmer switch though - good to know, Ta.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Be careful jeral
The term low energy bulbs is not specific

Low energy fluorescent bulbs (such as the compact spiral type) are not generally dimmable, and the light is not as good as you get from some other types

LEDs may be dimmable if it says so on the box, but require the special dimmer. The light is, IMO, very good giving accurate colour registration and excellent contrast, important for my poor eyesight. The downside is I had to replace an antiqued bronze conventional dimmer with a white plastic one, as it seems they don't yet make"decor" versions for LED

I've had these LEDs in the kitchen for nearly two years, no sign of deterioration, love them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XJG8MC0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA size is usually more of an issue with fluorescent than LED, though some of the LEDs can be larger than the old filament equivalents.
Here's my review of the kitchen lights

I've had spotlight tracks in the kitchen for years.
Originally they had halogen bulbs, but they used to burn out way too often, and the heat on top my head was unpleasant to say the least.
So I've had all sorts of "compact" fluorescent bulbs, most of which required protruberance the size of a yogurt pot to hold the electronics, and gave a weak and sickly light.
So the first thing I noticed about these was how neat and petite they are. Not only do they look prettier, they are easier to fit than the fluorescent monsters
Once in place they give a strong light that I think is a really good colour, neither too yellow nor too cold. It's the best light I've had in there by far, I just hope it lasts

Postby Pampy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:11 pm

I had to have a new circuit breaker consumer unit fitted when I had the heavy duty wiring installed for my pyrolytic ovens (new regulations, apparently). It's so bl**dy sensitive that if anything blows, like a light bulb or a kettle, the circuit breaker kicks in and I lose everything on that circuit so have to go to the garage to reset it. I find it usually happens when it's dark and raining!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox