Register

Digital Kitchen Scales

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Digital Kitchen Scales

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Mine have died ... new batteries don't do the trick ... all sorts of erratic and random readings appear.

I've had these about 5 years which for around £20 I suppose isn't bad ... they get a lot of use. They're the flat sort you can use your own bowl or jug with and have the useful tare option.

They don't seem to make the same ones any more although looking online there are lots of others .

I have easy access to Lakeland, John Lewis, Argos etc and a Pro Cook shop is opening next door to the farm shop any day now ... and of course, there's lots of options online too.

Any particular recommendations or is it just pot luck?

Re: Digital Kitchen Scales

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:25 pm

I bought mine from Sainsbury's about 4 years ago and it's been smashing. It's just a flat, round glass scale and has the zeroing option, plus you can change it from metric to imperial. It weighs up to 5 kg. It's pretty much the same as this, just a different colour https://www.tesco.com/direct/beurer-ks2 ... d=237-3187
Tesco Direct seems to have a good choice too.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Looks good Pampy thanks.

Any idea how long it waits 'idle' before switching off? One of the problems with the one I had was that sometimes, if for instance the amount of an ingredient required was more than remained in a pack, by the time I'd opened the next pack the scales had switched off.

Also, do you have any problems with the two functions being in one switch? I don't have the most elegant of fingertips ...

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:22 pm

I've never checked how long it is before it switches off but I think it's a few minutes. I don't have elegant fingertips either (in fact they're decidedly inelegant :lol: ) but don't have any problems using the single switch.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:19 pm

we have had our for about 9 years now. They were from Argos and have been great. Nice clear buttons to use and you can switch from metric to imperial. The only drawback if you need to be organised with the measurement settings because they default to zero if you've put the item in the bowl (e.g. rice) which you want to measure in ounces but you've left it on grams by mistake.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:29 pm

This is all very helpful ......... thanks folks :)

Any other helpful points gratefully received :)

Postby Fee » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:45 pm

I have a set of Soehnle scales and love them, I bought them from Amazon, I think it was someone on the Wildfood site that recommended them. I’ve never noticed any time delay on them, they are probably a bit more expensive but worth it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Afternoon Fee. Lovely to see you here.

I have Salter scales, and the thing I like about them is they can weight a mason cash mixing bowl full of ingredients.
I'm not likely to weigh much more than that.
They cost £10 in their day from the House of Fraser kitchen department.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:48 pm

No help I'm afraid, don't do digital - mine are cast iron balance scales with a 'bucket' - had 'em for centuries & can't fault 'em :thumbsup

Postby Rainbow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:09 am

Suffs wrote:Looks good Pampy thanks.

Any idea how long it waits 'idle' before switching off? One of the problems with the one I had was that sometimes, if for instance the amount of an ingredient required was more than remained in a pack, by the time I'd opened the next pack the scales had switched off.

I thought they were all designed to do that, Suffs, just to keep you on your toes :lol:

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:23 am

Mine are Salter, bought from Amazon iirc, but can't find the order on email. Perhaps 10 years ago, more or less. Flat and digital, they weigh up to 5kg in 1g increments, with options such as pounds & ounces and others (amusingly, some volumetric). The display cuts out after a few minutes, not had a problem with the display when opening a new packet but it has gone blank if I've been distracted for a while.

Heartily recommend them but doubt they still make the same model. Used several times most days; one, maybe two replacement batteries over the lifetime.

HTH

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:38 am

I bought Soehnle because that's a brand we used at work and they were excellent

Had mine 2 years love them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002RLFS20/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also got Soehnle bathroom scales, had those 4 years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000F7F044/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:53 am

My flat base scale switches off after 6 minutes which I think might be a standard time for things as my phone and printer, keyboard and mouse all do six mins before switching to off or standby to conserve battery life. Or can switch mine off instantly by holding down the on/off button.

Postby Mamta1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:06 am

I bought these from Amazon a few years back. They are easy to use, clean and I can use own pans, which is specially useful when I am using a lot of ingredients. You simply put the bowl you want to weigh in on it, put it on zero and then weigh on whatever you want. For a lot of ingredients, just keep putting back to zero after each addition and carry on, easy.

It is not expensive, aroud £15 and has a 15 years guarantee to boot :). They even take my large Pyrex mixing bowl. I have bought several of these as gifts over the years.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am

That's exactly the model I've got :thumbsup

Postby smitch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 pm

I had Duronics scales and they have been awful, really inconsistent with the weight displayed and always moving up or down a few grammes, even when I'm not adding anything. I've just bought Soehnle but haven't had chance to use them yet.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Mine always die in the end because I don't take enough care, and water spills end up getting inside. The most recent scales I bought, and my favourite of all electronic scales, were these, which I think I'll get again.

At the moment I'm using my baby scales and balancing things on them to get the weight.

http://www.salterhousewares.co.uk/arc-e ... pGEALw_wcB

Postby Luca » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm a great fan of Salter too.

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Thank you so much folks :clap

In the end I went for the ones recommended by StokeySue as there's a really good offer on them from Amazon at the moment ... should be here in a couple of days.

:thumbsup

Postby Fee » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Good choice Suffs, it was Stokey Sue who recommended them some time ago on the Wildfood site, if I remember correctly. :thumbsup

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox