Register

Nef Circotherm..........

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Nef Circotherm..........

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Anyone with any experience?
Good, bad or ugly?

I'm about to buy a new built-in double oven & have no idea about how well the circotherm cooks - looks like many reviews on line think it's great - but have also been reading folk don't think Nef isn't the company it was for service etc. but I would trust your opinions first.

All thoughts massively welcome before my eyes drop out with all the reading............

Re: Nef Circotherm..........

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi. I've no idea - hadn't heard of it. There are some Youtubes that might be helpful on usage.

Like you, I found very mixed reviews but hard to know if specific models might have been superseded by later improved versions. I read a few where the element (either top or lower oven) seemed to go (£25 then just for spare part) and one said four times! (Also that it can upset the thermostat if it blows, so might need a new thermostat). Dunno if theirs was a lemon or if it's less likely in current versions, but it might be worth seeing what the guarantee covers and how much an extended warranty might cost (and cover).

I get the impression that it's confusing, i.e. which heat source to use, which shelf, how to get crisp things crisp, which pan is best for what. Good luck.

Postby Pampy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:05 am

I have 2 Neff circotherm ovens (both multifunction) - 1 a large one and the other smaller which is also a microwave (although bigger than "normal" microwaves/combi ovens). They are separate ovens rather than a dual model. I have had them both 4 years and never had any trouble with either. The big one is rarely used but the small one is used nearly every day. Both are also pyrolytic, which for me, is heaven sent. I've been really pleased with both, the only possible issue is that food can sometimes brown slightly unevenly in the smaller one if it is placed close to the fan (say if you're using a baking tray which is as big as the shelf). This only usually manifests itself on small, uncovered items, such as oven chips or scampi (yes, I do use convenience food sometimes!) and is easily remedied by turning the tray round half way through cooking. The different functions are clearly explained in the manuals and you soon get used to them. I got a Neff induction hob at the same time and am very pleased with that too. All in all, I love my ovens and would buy Neff again in a heartbeat.
I've never had cause to need to use Neff for repairs/service but have asked for advice and not had any problems with that. I think the majority of companies these days are "not as good as they once were" - that's progress for you!
Last edited by Pampy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Petronius » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:05 am

We've had a NEF circotherm (multifunction) double oven since March 2003 and, being a bread baker, it's had heavy use. The fan heater is incorporated into the element - other ovens may have the fan behind the element and blows across it. About a year ago, the element went and we haven't bothered to replace it. Our 'tame' appliance man doesn't do NEF so we've never got around to doing anything about it.

I liked the circotherm because it meant we were using less electric!

The instruction book is poor. We didn't realise the self cleaning part is something that needs doing frequently and consequently Mrs P (an avid cleaner) started using brillo pads etc., ("it's what my Mum used so ...) and I don't think that did the surface any good. Now we get it cleaned annually. At the moment our main oven door is not a tight fit, that happened last year and our cleaning man adjusted the hinges for us. He'll do that again on the next clean. The oven is in one corner, the side wall doesn't make it easy for me to adjust the hinge, but a younger person might be able to.

Like most multi-function appliances we don't use the multis much, but they all work. The bread proving one has proved useful occasionally when needed to prove a bit faster than normal.

The top elements don't glow red significantly, we found that strange at first, but they crisp bacon, do toast etc.

I wouldn't say this is a MUST buy product, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to put anyone off, bearing in mind it worked perfectly for 12 years.

One thing I would recommend is their shelf extenders if they still do them. They weren't cheap, another £110, but to be able to slide the Turkey out on its shelf, without needing to lift it onto the work surface, and baste it was a real boon. No idea why we bought them because we were reasonably fit then, but I've suggested the same to anyone buying an oven.

I'd agree that no products seem as good as they used to.

All the best to you

Postby Petronius » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:07 am

Perhaps to mention we use the oven in non-fan mode and it works fine.

Postby Suelle » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 am

Like others I have a Neff double oven - both with multi functions. We moved into a house with a fitted Neff double oven 14 years ago. Previously to that I'd always had cheap ovens, but that Neff was so impressive that we bought the brand again when it needed replacing - it was more than 15 years old by then!

The instructions say to use the fan if you want to cook on more than one shelf at the same time, which can be annoying when batch baking, as I prefer to bake without a fan, but it's a minor niggle. I find it doesn't bake very evenly on fan or conventional if anything is close to the sides of the oven.

Neff ovens have their heating elements in the base and roof, rather in the sides - so you can't line the base with foil or other types of oven protectors to keep things cleaner.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:59 pm

My kit is much the same as Pampy's; one big Neff oven, one smaller one with microwave, both paralytic (one might be pyromaniac). The big one cooks more evenly.

We've had them between 8 and 10 years I'd guess. The microwave generator packed up maybe 5 years ago, a Bosch approved mender came round and fixed it, since when it's been fine.

I would have no hesitation in buying the updated models of both ovens. :thumbsup

Pyrolysis is a very good thing.

Postby Petronius » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:47 pm

A bit more information.

The shelf extenders means there's a small loss of width in the main oven.

Our built in one is at work top height by the way. A boon at a certain age!

On the bottom of the main oven we've put a rack shelf, upside down and place an oven protector on that - black sheet we got from Lakeland.

Postby Pampy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Petronius wrote:
On the bottom of the main oven we've put a rack shelf, upside down and place an oven protector on that - black sheet we got from Lakeland.

Lakeland also sell a slide-in shelf with the protector fastened on to it.
I went to Lakeland a couple of weeks ago and looked at the oven liners as my brother had asked me to get him a couple - but I couldn't believe the price! 50 x 50 cm £10.79 and 100 x 50 cm £20.99! I wasn't going to pay that price and got some good quality ones on Amazon - 40 x 50 cm in a pack of 3 for £8.99.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks so much everyone - you've given me a lot of food for thought :newhuggy ........ decisions......... decisions

My old faithful Bosch oven is still working fine after 16yrs but now has a wonky door so time for a change!

Btw - am I right in thinking the circotherm only heats up to 200 DegC ?

No doubt I'll have a ton more questions before I'm through....................

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:18 pm

am I right in thinking the circotherm only heats up to 200 DegC ?

My one has Circotherm, default 160°C, maximum 200°C and Circotherm Intensive, default 220°C, maximum 275°C

The top oven (the one with microwave in it) has got numerous programmes, none called Circotherm. The equivalent fan settings are 'Hot Air' and 'Hot Air Plus'

The hotter settings are very good for crisping up roasties, or burning things (no fault of the oven :D ).

Neff and Bosch are the same company, aren't they? Our washing machine and fridge are Bosch, I'd be confident their ovens are good.

Postby Petronius » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:47 pm

Luscious, the highest temperature setting for circotherm is 200C, however, the whole point of circotherm is a lower temperature settomg gives a result as if the temperature was higher.

Thus for a roast I'd set circotherm at 170/180 on the oven, though now only using the conventional setting I roast at 200C.

Does that make sense? The instruction book lists temperature as 40 – 190C (ours goes to 200C)

The instruction book lists the following advantages of circotherm,

“Low soiling of oven interior
cooking on up to 3 shelf levels at once is possible
shorter preheating times
low oven temperatures
gentle defrosting
bread baking”

Under the heading of conventional Cooking (top and bottom heat) it warns, “Cooking is possible on one shelf level only”. That's nonsense.

Just a thought – we bought ours as a demo model from a local supplier – I wonder if it's possible we were given the wrong instruction book.

There's a NEF on eBay for £25 though six days to go. There was one on Gum Tree just down the road from us on offer for £300.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 am

So Dennis, would you be able to get up to enough temp to cook something like a Yorkshire then?
Not that I do them very often.....

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:38 am

Never had Neff
But I have two lots of the black non-stick sheets, one Lakeland cost £££, one Aldi cost pp, I can't tell them apart so look around

Postby Suelle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:So Dennis, would you be able to get up to enough temp to cook something like a Yorkshire then?
Not that I do them very often.....

The highest setting on the circotherm fan oven cooks my yorkies as well as any other oven. 200fan is the equivalent of 220 in an ordinary oven, and if you're worried the conventional oven temperature (or circotherm intensive, if the model you're contemplating has it) goes up to 275.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks Suelle!
That's another point I can tick!

Postby Petronius » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 am

Glad Suelle answered your question, the Executive Chef does 'em in this house and never had a problem.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks again for your info Dennis - I'll get there in the end - gone are the days when you just went out and bought what you fancied - sooooo much to research now - glad that Executive Chef of yours still keeps you in check tho' :D

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Well - my circotherm has been in place 2 weeks now - & so far I'm really pleased with it - not used a fraction of the settings yet, & am still getting used to it, but the ones I've used have performed very well - think it will take me the next century to work the rest out !

The build of it is very good - a bit like the ovens of old - solid - & I like the bottom rail that just slides to position without having to take the dish out - but mostly I've used the top oven with the separate fan etc.

No doubt I'll scream for help before I'm done - but thank you all so much for all your help in making my decision to buy this Neff model - really appreciated!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am

Brilliant decision, Lush.

I by comparison, have an oven with door that will not close properly at the moment.
I need to get the screwdriver to those hinges. But they are more complicated that I've seen before.
And once I dabble, I'll need to clean the thing too.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox