Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Petronius » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 pm

We've had that Lakeland dispenser for many years, surprisingly you don't use so much. We've used bog standard supermarket rolls in it that were less than 300mm.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Wednesday in leclerc. I bought 3 free range guinea fowl for €3.50 each, less than half price. Now safely tucked in freezer. They also had reduced poussins, but I didn't really have room to freeze them.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:46 am

Have dropped my "individual cup size" cafetiere.
So looking to buy a new filter coffee gadget. And have seen this little bargain at Lakeland: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/70560/Lakelan ... ee-Machine

Seems cheap, but the reviews don't have the coffee hot enough.

But am also tempted by the aeropress .....

Postby Petronius » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:28 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Have dropped my "individual cup size" cafetiere.
So looking to buy a new filter coffee gadget. And have seen this little bargain at Lakeland: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/70560/Lakelan ... ee-Machine

Seems cheap, but the reviews don't have the coffee hot enough.

But am also tempted by the aeropress .....

:D Decisons, decisions Gill, oh for the good old days when the choice was tea or Camp! :roll:

We've got one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kabalo-150ml-2 ... RV3E69W811

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 am

Hi Dennis.
Yes I have one of those percolators, small, from Spain. Bugs me as the one I bought pours badly, and it wasn't cheap.
Wobbles on the hob too on the smallest gas ring as it doesn't fit well.

I used to have a large one, that worked loads better.

Postby Lil'Abby » Mon May 02, 2016 10:58 am

Sorry I didn't get back to you Jeral. Yes, I ordered two myself and found exactly the same problem with the cling film. I use Aldi's which is the best and 'clingiest' cling film I've ever used! But, it says on the box, extra wide, so we had to cut it down. The foil wasn't a problem. That was standard width, and was catering size (300m) and that fit in fine.

They are very, very good and I would recommend them if anyone is hesitating. :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Lakeland proper spiraliser, a tenner off, currently on offer at £19.99 Just looked at it in the shop, fairly sturdy, those two "drawer" are extra blades, for long thin wide strips or very fine spiralising.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/19736/Vegetab ... 04160508:s

Postby jeral » Wed May 04, 2016 6:55 pm

A problem I find with gadgets like that spiraliser is that vegetables are too tough for a titchy little handle (however sharp the blade is) when really what is needed is the equivalent of a long tyre iron to give the leverage needed.

I wasn't strong enough either to get the vegetable onto the holding spike, which on my peeler thing had to be pushed on sideways. It's not their fault that I'm a weakling of course, so it's probably very good if you can use it.

Postby Renée » Wed May 04, 2016 10:19 pm

I like the Baco clingfilm, which comes with 10m free and the refills are 60m in length. I don't know how the price compares with the Lakeland product.

http://www.bacofoil.co.uk/product/easyc ... ling-film/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 10, 2016 7:40 pm

The opposite of bargain basement, but I thought I'd tag it to this thread. My jaw dropped in Saino's when I saw this, 6 grams of parsley for £2.00!!!!!

That's £333.00 a kilo. For parsley. Heaven help us.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gro ... ed-parsley

Postby Renée » Tue May 10, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm so glad that I bought a couple of parsley plants at the garden centre today! We don't think about the actual cost when we pick up a small pack of the herbs that we want to use. I see that it's lightly dried, which is something that I haven't seen previously.

Incidentally, with Hello Fresh, small packs of fresh herbs used in the meals are included.

Postby jeral » Tue May 10, 2016 10:13 pm

@ Sakkarin, there's also a Goodness Gracious Me! for that Gourmet Garden parsley as sold by Sainsbury since the country of origin is shown as Australia.

Note to Renée: Best take your two plants back to the garden centre as obviously England is no place to grow parsley ;)

My recent Lakeland purchase came with a 2 x £20 voucher off Hello Fresh boxes. Haven't read T&Cs but presume long term sign-up. So if anyone's thinking of them, check for voucher codes if not otherwise displayed on their site.

Wrong thread for this one as fish fingers were in 'tother thread:
Bird's Eye cod ones on offer at £2 instead of £2.50 for 12 at the moment in some supermarkets. (Haven't checked if good vs packs of 50.)

Postby Renée » Tue May 10, 2016 11:23 pm

I wouldn't want to be tied up with Hello Fresh, but it can be paused or stopped at any time. Are you going to use your two Hello Fresh vouchers, jeral?

I used to have one of those stove-top percolators, but I didn't like the results for some reason. I might have been doing something wrong, though. :oops:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 am

I have some lovely , but expensive organic honey I bought a while back

So I,also bought some from Lidl, Highgate Fayre Runny Honey so I could use it in cooking. I think it was £2 for 1 lb or 454 g. I can tell the difference, but I find the Lidl one just as nice, and I d happily have it for breakfasr

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 12, 2016 2:09 pm

Talking of supermarket herbs i couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I saw a small packet of mint, special for mojito at €3.00 a pop. There were all of 4 sprigs therein. Just what special mint is needed for such a drink?? I'll have it on my herb garden anyway.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Talking of supermarket herbs i couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I saw a small packet of mint, special for mojito at €3.00 a pop. There were all of 4 sprigs therein. Just what special mint is needed for such a drink?? I'll have it on my herb garden anyway.
gy
Well in n Cuba they use a local variety of mint with red stems, not the same as the red stemmed mint I've tracked down in the UK
Fairly young shoots. you want flavour (peppermint rather than spearmint) but not too much menthol

Every time I see mint plants or seeds for sale, I look hopefully

But €3 for 4 stems is ridiculous, given that mint grows like the weed it becomes if allowed

Supposedly it is Mint ‘Mojito’ (Mentha x villosa) but the pictures on t'internet show a much darker mint than I'd expect, maybe it needs tropical conditions to perform well

Postby Petronius » Thu May 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Local garden centre herbs - £1.79 or four for £6. Waitrose this morning two for £5.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 12, 2016 11:24 pm

Half price Christofle Butter Dishes! Grab two while they're at this price...

https://www.amara.com/products/vertigo- ... gn=Criteo1

Postby Renée » Thu May 12, 2016 11:52 pm

Oooh, what a bargain! If you sign up with them, you can get 20% off your first order! :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 13, 2016 10:21 am

A polished silver butter dish seems to me the most impractical thing possible, must be permanently covered in smears and finger marks

But "Vertigo has the strong emblem of a ring" - I'm sure that makes up for it :lol:

I have one of these, by Luminarc, so also French and IMO a design classic, you can use it either way up (I use shallow dish on the table though it's shown as the lid here), tough as old boots, dishwasher safe, cheap as chips (about 1% of the cost of a silver one, mine was £1 in one of those scruffy kitchen bazaar shops, probably 30 years ago)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox