Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Saw a couple of bargains in Tesco at the moment, and with no recurring thread on specuial offers, I thought I would start this thread as a "permanent", to post details of anything you spot on your travels.

Today, in the aisles leg of lamb £5 a kilo, and on the fresh meat counter fresh shoulder at £4 a kilo. Has it EVER been that cheap?
They've also got those Peanut Butter Magnums ("Magni"?) ayt £2 for three.

It's not a special offer, just their normal price, but the tins of own brand sardines are just 40p, so my breakfast will cost me about 50p. Bargain.

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:01 pm

What a good idea for a thread!
Morrisons has whole salmon at £4 per kg.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:40 pm

That's handy
Off to Morrison's then, as planning on making a navarin of lamb this weekend

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:56 pm

You may mean you are getting salmon at Morrisons, where you were coincidentally going to buy lamb anyway, but if you meant the lamb I mentioned, it was Tesco...

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Sakkarin wrote:You may mean you are getting salmon at Morrisons, where you were coincidentally going to buy lamb anyway, but if you meant the lamb I mentioned, it was Tesco...

Ha, rats, tried to skim read :(
Lamb from the butcher as in original plan then, but need other stuff from there too

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:13 pm

My accountant does that, excpet he basically just reads the first paragraph of anything. I refer to his skill not as "skim reading" but as "skim ignoring".

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:26 pm

:lol: :lol: 'skim ignoring'! That did make me LOL

Great idea for the thread Sakks. Asda also have salmon on offer but £9.00 for a whole one. Don't ask me how much per kilo as I have no idea.

Postby Renée » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:32 pm

:lol: :lol: That's funny, Sakkarin!

I tend to skim read as well. When I was in the infants school, or whatever it's called now, myself and three others, who were in the top reading group, were made to stand at the front of the class, because we had been skim-reading and went through a book every time we had that subject. We were very norty! :lol:

Postby sunflower » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:04 am

Picked up a leg of lamb from Lidl today at 3.79 per kg.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 pm

That's virtually giving it away! Wish I had a local Lidl :-(

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:03 am

Sorry this keeps jumping up and down - I'm trying to get it under Chatterbox, but it doesn't seem to want to.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Morrison's do have legs of lamb at £4 per Kg :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Petronius » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:23 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Sorry this keeps jumping up and down - I'm trying to get it under Chatterbox, but it doesn't seem to want to.

Am I bothered. :lol:

Waitrose are selling 9 roll pack of Andrex toilet tissues, 2 for £7.

A bit off topic, but a few weeks back we bought 1Kg of sultanas from Aldi. Disappointed with them, packed too tight thus needing to separated and not really plump. For my purposes need soaking to get any flavour from them.

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Co-op here are offering Patak's mango chutney, 210g jar (quite small) for £1. Hoping it will have mango in and not just be one piece and a jar of sweet sauce like some s/m own brands are. It's the mild one. Rambling: They do a hot one too, but for hot I'd rather have lime pickle.

They've also got Douwe Egbert's 190g jars at £3.99.

The "Was" prices in their offers are incredibly high compared to other shops' normal prices. I do think their produce generally is good though.

A new Sainsbury Local (yes, yet another one) has just opened and I think their prices are very high too. Seemingly Locals and Express shops are a lot pricier due to rent/rates blah blah and are often excluded from advertised offers. Lidl and Aldi wouldn't need to try hard to beat them on price.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Well there was uproar in Waitrose as a woman was dressed in pj's slippers and her coat.
"Not on, old gal" scowls - she was oblivious to the understated disdain coming her way.

Tescos has some cheese/ dipping biscuits = 2 for £2. To go with hummus and creamy or normal cheeses for a jolly nice lunch

I like em a lot:

Postby Petronius » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Last week Gill, a young (to me at least) girl emerged from One Stop in pjs, slippers and dressing gown (definitely not a coat) having bought cigarettes, on the phone as she got into her car, parked on double yellows and drove off, still on her phone. Made me smile

Waitrose here has whole Gressingham duck for £8 (half price), though no marzipan.

Our Co-op is generally more expensive than Waitrose – as a life long member that upsets me and not only 'cos I never earn any divi!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 pm

The co-op is our corner shop really, Dennis.
Particularly good when I'm in the mood for baking, and have run out of whatever, as their baking aisle is the best I think.

My husband has finally given up on Morrisons.
He's finding it just too expensive - I know that. I've always said it's a price, but he went to get tinned tomatoes - £4 for 4.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:22 pm

WHAAAT? £4!!!!! I get the "world food " aisle ones when they are three for a quid.

P.S. Anyone that fancies them, I see they have the Peanut Butter Magni in Sainos (well the "top" Watford one anyway), although at the full price.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Gill, it was way back in 2008, but the only time I've bought white asparagus, fortunately I took a piccy as it was an unusualish ingredient. I see from the pack it was actually from Lidl. If they no longer stock it, you could try tracking down their supplier, "Oaklands".

Postby Renée » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:44 pm

I did see the peanut butter Magnis, but when I checked the ingredients, the peanuts content was only 4%. I would have expected it to be more than that, so I didn't bother.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox