Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:39 am

Gosh! All this talk of changing of names! I had figured Dennis/Petronius out - quite like the new 'Harry Potteresque' image Petronius calls up!

I hadn't clocked that PrettyKiwiCrazy was now AmyW - but I have to say AmyW is a lot easier to type!!

I LOVE coke floats too!!! Oh, my! Even though I hate Coke, Coke-floats, and Rootbear floats remind me of my childhood in Canada too! What a nutritionally rich upbringing I must have had with CheezeWhizz into the mix!

HH

Postby Renée » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:25 pm

I'm surprised you survived!!! I was told by my cousin in Vancouver that Root Beer tastes like Germolene smells!

Yes, agreed that AmyW is easier to type!

Postby Amyw » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:35 pm

Haha, glad it's made your lives easier :klingonbanana

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:03 pm

if anyone wants restock a drinks cupboard Morrison's have standard spirits any 2 for £20 Gordon's gin, couple of Scotches, Bacardi, Bailey's, Smirnoff etc. until Sunday inclusive

But Waitrose have Bombay Sapphire at £20 a litre

They also have all the Sacla pesto at £3.50 for two, instead of £2.30 each

Postby Renée » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:20 pm

Amyw wrote:Haha, glad it's made your lives easier :klingonbanana

Yes, but please don't change it back!!! :wave :lol: :lol:

Postby Petronius » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Waitrose Chicken Stock - now £1.89 reduced from £2.10 it says on the shelf label. Except it wasn't that long ago it was £1.80. Cheeky.

Softener is on offer at the moment and quite a lot of that sort of stuff.

Postby Petronius » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:17 am

And now, Dorset Cereals – Co-op £2.99, Asda £3.48 and Waitrose on the shelf £3.49 (usual price), however on a discount stand they are £3 reduced from £3.79 says the label. Cheeky again?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:44 am

Kenco coffee Eco Refill pack, £4.37 for 150 g

Kenco coffee glass jar, £4 for 200 g on offer Morrison's, it seems routine that the refill works out more expensive when you take the weight into consideration

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:16 pm

Seen in Aldi - display of "mini eggs" with a large sign showing the original price of 59p crossed out and the new price of - 59p!

Postby Renée » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:40 pm

That's a new one, Pampy!!!

Morrison's Colgate Pro-Relief toothpaste for sensitive teeth, £2 and usually £3.79. I bought three.

Asda Kenko coffee glass jar, 200g £3. It has been that price for a few months.

Postby Petronius » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Daughter tells me Dorset Cereals in Morrison's at Banbury today were £2.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:32 pm

Don't know if it's just local overstock, but loads of bottles of groundnut oil in Sainos North Watford for just £2 a litre. Grabbed two, that should last a while, and tart my stirfries up a bit!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Will look out for that

I had a funny one

Last time I bought vitamin tablets they were £3.99
This time £4.99
Seemed a huge increase in about 6 weeks :o
When I opened the box, it was 60 tablets for £4.99, but only 30 for £3.99

That's for Centrum Advance 50+ at Savers

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:23 pm

"50+" :-(

I wouldn't buy it on principle. The principle that it makes me feel old, esecially as I am now 60+

Couldn't they have called it "Centris Advance Prime" or something slightly more understanding. I bet it was named by a 21-year-old fresh out of college. And I bet his second choice was "Centris Advance Senior" - even worse!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:21 pm

Being about the same age, I know what you mean

Actually I take it mainly for one component (Lutein) which may help fading eyes; you can buy special eye vitamins, but they are 2 or 3 times the price, so this is fairly bargain basement

Oddly they do Centrum 50+ Woman which is lutein free, but contains a lot of iron, which I would think there's little need for in old biddies :D.

Postby Lil'Abby » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:48 am

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/7518/Wrapmast ... -Dispenser

Saw this in their Exeter store at the weekend whilst at the food and drink festival. Bargain! :clap

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks Lil'Abby, I've been hankering after a film dispenser/cutter for years so I've ordered one. Do you have one? I'm hoping it'll be as efficient as described although if it is should I be worried why it is reduced so much? Oh well, I'll find out soon...

Edit PS: I think I've just found out the drawback. It takes 300mm rolls yet supermarket etc standard size is 350mm so need to cut down. It says 300mm quite clearly so my error for assuming that 300mm was standard not realising you had to buy their special rolls to fit. Oh well, too late now; I'll have to find my junior hacksaw...

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:13 pm

jeral wrote:Thanks Lil'Abby, I've been hankering after a film dispenser/cutter for years so I've ordered one. Do you have one? I'm hoping it'll be as efficient as described although if it is should I be worried why it is reduced so much? Oh well, I'll find out soon...

Edit PS: I think I've just found out the drawback. It takes 300mm rolls yet supermarket etc standard size is 350mm so need to cut down. It says 300mm quite clearly so my error for assuming that 300mm was standard not realising you had to buy their special rolls to fit. Oh well, too late now; I'll have to find my junior hacksaw...

You really need to use the special rolls to get the best out of it - it a US product hence the 12 inch rolls
I also mean to glue the little rubber feet on, they fall off
Having said which, I wouldn't be without them, having awkward hands they are a boon, the refills aren't that pricey, and the saving on waste is :o

I got a good deal in Waitrose2 dine in for £10 on Saturday
2 bacon, leek and Roquefort tarts (nominally starters, but quite substantial so I'm currently eating one for lunch with salad, delicious)
2 30 day aged Hereford beef burgers (currently in freezer, had them before, just about the best burger around)
Big bag of nice salad leaves
Surprisingly drinkable bottle of light, white, Italian wine

They seem to have more fish & veggie options than formerly, I considered the veggie version of the tarts

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:58 pm

jeral wrote:Thanks Lil'Abby, I've been hankering after a film dispenser/cutter for years so I've ordered one. Do you have one? I'm hoping it'll be as efficient as described although if it is should I be worried why it is reduced so much? Oh well, I'll find out soon...

You can get 300mm rolls at some supermarkets - but as another poster has said, you get the best from using Lakeland's refill rolls.

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Yes, Stokey Sue, the specific cling film looks reasonable value, except I'd have to pay P&P. Pampy's post just in: Thanks :)

Whatever happened to
Plan ahea
d

I ask myself :lol:

Your Waitrose dinners sound good value. It doesn't take much to clock up £10 at a checkout (or butcher, baker and candlestick maker) otherwise does it, so sounds like a genuine bargain.

I noticed Asda were particularly highlighted for misleading pricing on offers this week: http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... hdog-which

Whilst Which's supercomplaint noted several other supermarkets who were also guilty of misleading pricing with more general typical examples: http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... hdog-which

We all knew that of course, but it's good that the offenders are finally being called to account.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox