Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Oh dear, how time flies... I thought that "Second Helping" book was a newish release, but noticed that the FIRST book was actually published 22 years ago, in 1994. The second volume was published 15 years ago!

And "Prawn Cocktail Years" is 19 years old.

Mind you, it is intriguing that they would have enough of an overprint of a 15-year-old book to end up with loads of copies in Poundland.

It's strange, knowing that, flipping through it felt a bit like reading a 15-year-old newspaper, as it presumably reflects the ingredients and techniques that were current in 2001.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:10 pm

The book's apparent overrun is mystifying. Is the later one the same publisher? If it's been reprinted, is the date shown on the flyleaf?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm guessing the answer's in these numbers...?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:49 pm

So the excess dates form 2006?
Odd

I thought I'd found a bargain in Morrison's 0 a shelf of rtc wine

reduced from £8.50 to 8.25
Reduced from £4.99 to £4.95 - and so on
Nah, shan't bother

On the other hand, they do have one of my favour NZ Sauvignons (the Ned) in their wine fair at £7.50 instead of the usual £9, so might have to get some in for Christmas, and there were a couple of reds I fancied too

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:11 pm

Sakkarin, it looks like the answer is in those numbers known as the numberline apparently. Random House showed their first editions at that time with initial digit 2 and "First edition" also on the flyleaf, so seemingly 3 would be the first reprint. I've made no progress figuring out the other numbers though. In other words, mystery still unsolved.

Re wine, I noticed that the one I usually buy has gone up by 7.6%. If our good ol' chancellor increases tax on wine in the autumn budget (Nov) I foresee a potato spirit still in the garden. Now, how to build a still...

Postby Renée » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:44 pm

Here you are, jeral!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Vodka

http://diyready.com/how-to-make-a-still-self-reliance/

It sounds like too much faffing around to me!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Opposite of bargain - Tesco's Finest Comte, which was launched at £2 for a 200g pack a year or so ago, then crept up to £2.20 a couple of months back, has just jumped up to £3.00 and hence off my shopping list. I wonder if this is part of the "marmite" effect, are all prices about to rocket?

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Prices rocketing? Maybe not rocketing as people would notice. I have noticed upward creep of 5% increases and perhaps there'll be another hike too after the Chancellor's autumn statement (23 Nov I think), being another excuse. Food prices have been steady for a while, but now there are excuses they can all price match at a higher level.

I do tend to stock up on coffee as there's usually one or other on offer. It's like laundry products and sofas in that the "normal" price must be very loaded.

A bigger worry is the likely hike in fuel costs this winter. *Googles price of bread and water*

Postby Renée » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:41 pm

Well, maybe the prices of British cheeses might just be more stable. I discovered the wonderful Blacksticks Blue recently, which has won many awards and made in Lancashire.

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Hopefully Blacksticks Blue has a good local (meaning UK) market so leaving the EU won't hurt it if tariff wars start.

There was a prog last year about just how much English cheese is exported to France and I think I read last week that Somerset was holding its breath. Mind you, goodness knows if the Brexit vote will be overruled.

My dad used to like blue Stilton (I dreaded opening the fridge door). It's now got that accreditation thingy so can only be produced in the three Counties of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire. Maybe Blacksticks Blue should get one if it hasn't already?

Postby Petronius » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:56 pm

Living in the County that has some of the largest cheese exporters to France, they're obviously concerned about the future but no more say than the makers of Melton Mowbray pies. Somerset Chamber of Commerce are emphasing they were promised trade would not be effected and are relying on that.

Quite another issue but Brexit will not be overturned.

Postby Petronius » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Tin of Allinson's dried yeast in Waitrose this morning were 66p, reduced from 99p.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:27 pm

I got a pack of that Blacksticks Blue that you recommended Renee, and also bought a small piece of very good organic Stilton to compare it with. I see what you mean about the creaminess, I preferred that to the slightly waxy texture of Stilton. Also the stilton mould was a bit more bitter, so the BB won on two counts. It does irritate me that they feel the need to use food colouring in it though, that orange does not say "cheese" to me, it says "annatto".

My favourites are still Roquefort (by a mile) and Bleu D'Auvergne (although its so long since I've had that, I cannot be certain. From what I remember it is creamier still than the BB, and a richer blue mould punch). Both EU imports though, so maybe the UK ones will be the only economical option if our relationship with Europe deteriorates.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:12 pm

I often prefer Shropshire Blue to Stilton, but that's annatto laden too
Long Clawson dairy do a decent one, sometimes found at Lidl of all unlikely places
There's a Yorkshire Blue that's very nice but hard to come by since Morrison's stopped selling it
Haven't had BB in ages, must look out for some, my Dad liked it

Postby Renée » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:04 am

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our Lancashire Blacksticks Blue cheese, Sakks. It was quite a long time before I was brave enough to try blue cheese! It is best at room temperature, as you will know. It's nice to hear that your dad enjoyed it, Sue.

Now I'm not brave enough to try Roquefort, after reading about what can be seen using a microscope! :shock:

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:18 pm

G'won g'won Renee - you'll love it!

Roquefort........ well.......Rocks.....!! :limbobanana

:oops:

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Renée wrote:Now I'm not brave enough to try Roquefort, after reading about what can be seen using a microscope! :shock:

But surely that would be true for any blue cheese, including Blacksticks Blue (which I love, by the way).

Postby Renée » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Well, I don't know, Pampy! I haven't read any reports about Blacksticks Blue being examined under a microscope, so I'll just assume that there isn't anything running around!!

No, I'm deffo NOT trying it, Lush!

:gonzo :gonzo

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Update on Iceland Wagyu beef burgers (I mentioned them in this thread about 3 weeks ago).

Tried these at last. Reading the label it was clear there were a lot of additives as they are only 87% beef (although the pack says "made with 100% grass-fed New Zealand wagyu beef").

Opening the pack, it smelt very strongly of a Paxo sage and onion stuffing pack, and the meat was so finely ground that I wonder if it might actually be made from reclaimed wagyu rather than actual cuts. Being a 6 oz burger, it was very thick, and when cooked following the instructions, the middle was absolutely raw, not a good idea with mince products. I sliced it in half across, and continued cooking the two raw sides for a couple of minutes longer.

The "good" news is that when partnered with some fried onions and a really tasty crusty roll, it actually was rather good, although I have no idea what the wagyu element of what I was tasting was, as it was drowned in herbs and spices and onion powder.

Postby Renée » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:53 pm

Yes, well MRM could be a possibility, because it would still be wagyu beef, I suppose. I like to be able to taste the beef and not have the flavour drowned out by a lot of herbs. I'm glad that you enjoyed it though, with the fried onions.

I've just remembered that mechanically reclaimed meat has to be declared on the label.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox